We should make Georgia a regular opponent
by ACross (2019-09-22 14:25:53)
Edited on 2019-09-22 14:27:27

At minimum, set another home and home ASAP. Shitcan any embarrassing buy games that do nothing for our program and occupy real estate on our schedule that could otherwise go toward Georgia. And let the ACC know we are reducing our commitment to 3 games and like it or lump it.

I suspect the problem lies on Georgia's end
by tf86  (2019-09-23 12:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're already locked into a 9-game conference slate as well as an annual game against Georgia Tech which I believe is legislatively mandated. Adding ND to the mix would only leave them one flex game per season. I don't think they want that.

That said, I don't think we need an annual against a specific opponent, just an annual game against an elite opponent. That game can rotate. I would agree about another home-and-home with Georgia.

Also agree on cutting back the ACC slate to 3 games per year, although that may cost us some money. As for the buy games, I think generating revenue has become too important, and NBC will pay more for a 7-game schedule than they will for a 6-game schedule. About the only consolation there is that we're a little less obnoxious about it than most other programs are.

Nit
by DLD  (2019-09-24 09:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgia has an eight game conference schedule. An argument can be made that a conference that has an eight game conference schedule artificially inflates their perceived strength of conference due to the scheduling of body bag types of games. This greatly improves one’s chances of winning and thus improving the conference’s overall winning percentage as opposed to a conference that schedules nine conference games and the result of that extra week of conference games will guarantee a .500 record that week.

For 20 years I've advocated
by captaineclectic  (2019-09-22 21:41:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

finding a southern equivalent of USC to play annually in an intersectional rivalry. Georgia would be tremendous.

Oregon at Autzen would be terrific.
by VISTADEL  (2019-09-22 19:57:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great venue and fan base. Stanford becoming our long term rival is such a hoax.

by BeijingIrish  (2019-09-23 11:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great fan base? I challenge you to make that case to any of the ND folks who ventured to Eugene for the game in 1982. It was awful, as bad as any anti-ND hostility I've ever encountered. Worse than Boulder (1983), Seattle (1995), and Birmingham (1980), all of which were pretty awful. A win might have ameliorated the situation, but Faust's team only managed to tie a 2-8-1 Oregon squad.

Of course, Miami in 1989 is the worst of all time. I did not attend games in Baton Rouge (1970?) or Columbus (1995?).

I would also add Oklahoma to that list of H&H teams *
by Flash_85  (2019-09-22 19:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of games that would be interesting
by NDAtty  (2019-09-22 18:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't go to Athens, but Wisconsin, A&M, Auburn, Colorado, Ole Miss, Tennessee and lots of other places would seem to offer interesting road trips.

--------------------
"And let the ACC know we are reducing our commitment to 3 games and like it or lump it."

With the idea that ND could safely land somewhere else if necessary? If I were the ACC, I'd definitely look to dump ND if they pulled out of the 5 game commitment. ND might be a nice to have, but the ACC survives fine without ND. The football may not be very good, but neither is the PAC 12.

Would have been easier to get a better deal upfront than to renegotiate it down.

The “Olympic sports” would be just fine in the big east. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 19:18:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fully agree. Also make scUM our first game every year *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-09-22 18:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would be happy with never times a year
by dulac89  (2019-09-23 01:19:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because F*$& them

I like twice a decade for Michigan *
by golfjunkie17  (2019-09-22 20:55:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree, those guys are assholes *
by El Kabong  (2019-09-22 18:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The outhouse is indeed a cesspool, never again *
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-09-22 22:16:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes beating them all the better. *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-09-22 19:42:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need to end our annual series with Stanford
by BIG MAC  (2019-09-22 18:33:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its ok to rotate them in to our schedule, just not every year. We are 0-3 with the Bulldogs, by a total of 14 points. That is three exciting games, AND, they didn't throw fish at us. Go for it.

If they want to end the USC home years out west
by OITLinebacker  (2019-09-23 08:12:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then let's go with Cal or UCLA or Washington or Oregon. All would still get that west coast trip Thanksgiving weekend. We could still play Stanford more often if the Bay Area is a must, but it could look more like this:
Stanford H&H
CAL H&H
Stanford H&H
UCLA H&H
Stanford H&H
Washington H&H
etc.

We could still hit Palo Alto 2-3 times a decade, just not 5 times.

Agree. Fuck Stanford, their band and fans *
by drmurray  (2019-09-22 18:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially their band. Most of their fans don't even show
by Dillon76  (2019-09-23 00:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for their games.

Agree, I've been to 25+ stadiums and it was my best
by TonyBullets  (2019-09-22 18:27:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

experience so far. (20ish of those being ND games)

Knowledgeable, courteous, and just plain fun fans. I was impressed.

I think we also need to get back to Oxford.

Agree with this. It's a fresh rivalry, not one from a ...
by NDFanSince81  (2019-09-22 17:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

distant past that no current student or recruit would ever recognize. Georgia would be a terrific rivalry game.

Absolutely
by T_Allen  (2019-09-22 17:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even though our tickets turned out tbe counterfeit, which forced us to walk the concourse above the 100 level to watch the game (the fact that we got in was a small miracle), the atmosphere was still electric. The town was great, and so were the fans. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and hopefully be able to sit down next time!

We have home-and-aways with A&M and Arkansas
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-09-22 17:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

between now and the end of 2025, including back-to-back games against them both in 2024, as well as Alabama in 2028/2029.

I'd have no objection to putting Georgia back on the schedule but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Whether it's liked or not, the ACC commitment isn't changing because that's our meal ticket to the bowl buffet. I'd prefer this setup to joining the Big Ten.

Renegotiate the bowl tie ins
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 18:47:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The acc has no standing to block it given how shitty teams 2-14 are.

It has turned into a sort of rivalry even though it's all
by Dillon76  (2019-09-22 16:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lopsided: 3-0, Georgia.

Maybe in record, but those 3 wins were by a total of 14 pts *
by El Kabong  (2019-09-22 16:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Common denominator in all 3 losses: Inept offense *
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-09-22 16:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish that we were playing Wisconsin in Madison
by jt  (2019-09-22 15:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be a fun trip. Also like to get Washington back with a home and home series, possibly getting rid of Stanford. Lots of cool college stadiums to play at, too numerous to mention.

Maybe they’d treat us better.
by DillonFightSong  (2019-09-22 16:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A die hard OSU friend of mine goes to every game, home and away, except for @ Penn State and @ Wisconsin. Because their fans are assholes. Take that FWIW.

Ohio State fans deserve it. *
by Bruno95  (2019-09-23 06:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Follow-up regarding OSU
by DillonFightSong  (2019-09-22 21:30:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had student tickets there from 2006-08 while I was in law school. I was prepared for the worst when I came down here, but I never saw anything that lived up to the reputation. This includes the 2006 “Game of the Century” against Michigan. The worst I saw was someone walking up Lane Avenue wearing a giant foam Wolverine helmet while the crowd around him chanted “Asshole, Asshole.” He pretty much asked for it.

I was at the game yesterday with two Michigan grads
by brewcitydomer  (2019-09-22 18:37:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was not our, or their, experience at all. There was common bonding over what shitheads OSU fans can be, but no animus towards the visitors.

Probably because they knew about the depantsing that was set to commence.

tOSU fans are worst in college football, so... *
by golfjunkie17  (2019-09-22 18:34:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Big10 in general sucks in that regard
by manofdillon  (2019-09-22 17:46:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my trips to Ann Arbor, East Lansing, and West Lafayette I’ve been greeted with plenty of “f yous” and all manner of anti-Catholic crap. I’ve heard horror stories from opposing fans who’ve gone to Columbus or Happy Valley as well. By contrast, I’ve heard great stories of trips to SEC venues like Georgia and Tennessee and Big XII schools like Texas and Oklahoma.

Inconceivable!?!
by Jurassic  (2019-09-22 17:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My OSU grad buddy quit going to big games at the Shoe because their fanbase are a bunch of collective dirtbags who ruin the experience for others. They are by far the most intolerable bunch of assholes I've ever encountered at a sporting event.

They might just be responding in kind (OSU fans in general) *
by dignan  (2019-09-22 17:20:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought Sparty had that rep more than Wisc *
by 206er  (2019-09-22 17:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed! *
by Pat85  (2019-09-22 16:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have been a 3 (or 4) game series
by dignan  (2019-09-22 16:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) @ND
2) @Madison
3) @Lambeau or Soldier Field
4) @ Soldier Field or Lambeau

Would have checked off a lot of boxes- 2 great on campus gameday experiences. 4 iconic venues, with the 2 most iconic NFL stadiums- with huge fan bases nearby for each team. I very much dislike playing at NFL stadiums, but I believe these 2 make the cut as worthy of playing college FB games.

But, on campus should have been games 1 and 2, with the NFL stadiums 3 and 4 if the schools were able to fit that many games in

Always wanted to go to game @Colorado & @LSU too *
by Voisman  (2019-09-22 16:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed! *
by Pat85  (2019-09-22 15:47:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good time? *
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-22 15:35:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only if we make a pact to not sell our tix to GA fans *
by Voisman  (2019-09-22 15:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That likely would happen less for a regular game *
by El Kabong  (2019-09-22 17:59:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And play in Atlanta and Chicago NFL stadiums.
by Jurassic  (2019-09-22 15:18:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Signed,

Savvy Jack

Better to be on campus, but what about @Indy some time? *
by Voisman  (2019-09-22 15:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he was making fun of Savvy, not serious *
by BigEND  (2019-09-22 15:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Figured so. I think maybe ND played Purdue @ Indy once
by Voisman  (2019-09-22 15:36:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that there's a huge alumni base in Chicago so Soldier Field is a savvy standby.

Agreed. Great game.
by Revue Party  (2019-09-22 15:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Easily the best experience at an opponent. Great fans. Amazing atmosphere.

Agreed, I'd like the chance to get to Athens *
by El Kabong  (2019-09-22 14:56:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too, but not with Kelly at the helm *
by Jvan  (2019-09-22 15:11:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How sweet would it be to have a good coach, again?
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-09-22 15:31:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's only been, what, 23 years?

Tell me more, Master. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-09-22 15:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep *
by John88  (2019-09-22 14:51:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I support this. *
by Brahms  (2019-09-22 14:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would help us recruit GA. *
by cj  (2019-09-22 15:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could get used to visiting there; great college town *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-09-22 14:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Georgia AD said today that he would like to do that *
by garbageplate  (2019-09-22 14:33:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. Something tells me Savvy isn’t of like mind. *
by Irishintheville  (2019-09-22 14:32:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Savvy wants Brian to only have 2 quality opponents per seaso
by Brahms  (2019-09-22 14:43:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Helps keep BK's win % up, and he likes that metric for the brand: ND is still a winning program, and his choice of HC still "measures up" as one of the top 10 active coaches in the game.

We play Clemson twice in the next two years
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-09-22 14:58:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So that’s two losses, but we need at least one more marquee opponent.

3 of next 4 seasons, but 1 of next 2 *
by athlete37  (2019-09-22 16:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan, FSU, Stanford and even USC can’t be counted
by ACross  (2019-09-22 14:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be programs in the next 5 years. Michigan is fucked so long as they continue down the idiotic shift to a spread offense with a boob of an OC.

So, our schedules are going to blow goats.

We have no need to play directional schools or dregs in buy games.

Need to avoid Eastern Michigan as long as Kelly is around *
by graNDfan  (2019-09-22 16:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be fine with that. Since Richt, they have been one of
by dulac89  (2019-09-22 14:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the classiest SEC programs. Good fans too. And Athens is probably my favorite college town

Co-sign. *
by R2D2isAMeanDrunk  (2019-09-22 14:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post