Cue Aretha Franklin ...
by CJC (2019-09-22 17:37:40)
Edited on 2019-09-22 17:44:06

Piggybacking on Andy's suggestion below, and engaging in some wishful thinking, as I wouldn't ever expect Notre Dame's current leadership to think this way ...

But all of the accounts I have read about Notre Dame's trip to Athens were extremely favorable. They mirror my own personal experience at Clemson in 2015 and every account of that trip that I have read.

It seems to me that the respect accorded Notre Dame by those two programs has sadly become the exception rather than the rule. It seems to me that ignorance and hatred carries the day in most college football venues -- at least when the home team isn't playing host to a body-bag opponent.

Sadly, Notre Dame isn't what it used to be, but in my view, it's still deserving of respect as one of the greatest programs of all time. Kudos to the people at Georgia and Clemson for according that level of respect to Notre Dame and its fans -- and my, how things have changed for the better in those two regions over the past 40 years when it comes to "hospitality" toward Notre Dame.

Perhaps we should take that into account when scheduling opponents.

Granted, we might have to overlook some opponents' "morally casually attitude" when it comes to recruiting or graduating athletes or providing meaningful degrees to its players.

But at least we can evaluate whether the institution and the majority of its fans see Notre Dame as worthy of respect and treat its fans accordingly.

On my preliminary "in" list: Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, USC

On my preliminary "out" list: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Stanford

Replies: