"Doctor's Kid Syndrome"
by Brahms (2019-09-22 18:07:27)

In reply to: Cue Aretha Franklin ...  posted by CJC

Sorry. I don't buy into the entitlement argument regarding any respect we should be afforded.

Our legacy is one to build on, not one that entitles us to deference in perpetuity.

In my academic and professional life, 75% of the time I have met the child of a doctor, that person presents themselves as being the child of a respected professional and, regardless of their own professional accomplishments, expects deference by virtue of their winnings in the genetic lottery. Often such persons have done little to build on that legacy, but feel entitled to deference just the same. It's a bizarre, misguided, insular, Peter Pan, kind of arrogance. I call this "doctor's kid" syndrome.

Outside of a museum or sports anthology, no one owes us deference for what we did 30 years ago. That attitude has in fact led to the Disney-fication of our program, and the legions of dumb-ass decisions that have led to our recent legacy.

It's fine to have to be asked to earn respect, especially given all that we have squandered lately, and the complete ass Monk made of the program ("ashamed to be Notre Dame"), and then Jack ("show the world how to do a HC search"), and on and on.

Schedule the best teams we can, regardless of geography. Don't avoid teams that don't naturally feel inclined to give us an obligatory "atta boy" just because they want to celebrate our brand.

Replies: