Atmosphere in the stadium.
by Domer84 (2019-09-22 19:20:23)
Edited on 2019-09-23 08:52:09

We were at the Georgia game and tailgated on campus for about eight hours before kick off. As has been acknowledged, everyone we met at the tailgaters was gracious and welcoming.

I’m curious what other people thought of the atmosphere inside the stadium. I was impressed that entire student section seem to be in place 45 minutes before kick off. The stadium was at least 90% full before the teams left to go to the locker room after warm-ups. The pregame was fairly straightforward. And then they started using the Jumbotron.

Impressively, I did not see much in the way of Jumbotron advertising. Nevertheless, it seemed to be thumping every minute that the band wasn’t playing. There was never a moment when something wasn’t flashing on the Jumbotron, acknowledging returning players, showing clips of alumni in the pros and things like that. It was very orchestrated and the crowd seem to expect it. Maybe if I was a Georgia fan I would’ve gotten more out of it.

The fan involvement was impressive to the point of being slightly frightening. We had seats with a bunch of Georgia season-ticket holder‘s so I think my crowd was a little more sedate than most parts of the stadium. Nevertheless, the polite folks that I met when I sat down transformed during the game. They were screaming at the refs over every call, or non-call as they saw it, and barely sat down the entire game. The young couple sitting next to my wife stopped talking to her about the middle of the third-quarter and the husband got a strange look in his eye as the score got closer near the end of the game.As soon as Book threw the last incompletion, the wild look in all of their eyes disappeared and they were suddenly friendly again. I wonder what would have happened if we had won.

Everyone participated in every chant. It was extremely well coordinated. Every seat came with a red shaker which is standard SEC issue and looks amazing. Between the third and fourth quarters they turn off the overhead lighting then turn it back on with red lights only. Everyone pulls out their cell phones and turns on the flashlight feature. The band plays the theme for Superman and they all wave the flashlights in a predetermined unison pattern. Reminded me of Nuremberg. They had Loud Continuous Noise for every single play. I have never heard that volume at ND.

I could see where all of this would be very intimidating for a visiting team. It did not surprise me that we had multiple false starts and, in fact, the audience seem to revel in them.

I was at Ole Miss this weekend & it was the same
by RhodyJack  (2019-09-23 09:19:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Grove was great & pre-game, everybody in the stands knew the chants led by the cheer squad and waved red pom poms. Fans were unbelievably nice all day.

NDs fanbase is a mile wide and an inch deep. *
by 84david  (2019-09-23 09:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson will make South Bend orange next year...
by MR_IRISH  (2019-09-23 07:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gonna be Nebraska and Georgia like.

Hell, UVA might do the same this coming weekend *
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-09-23 10:57:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

SEC fans are a little nuts.
by jakam31  (2019-09-22 21:54:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been to Athens, Tuscaloosa, and Gainesville and the fans at each stop were equal parts knowledgeable and crazy. Georgia probably had the best environment of the three.

Three years ago, South Carolina and Florida in late November. Two mediocre football teams. Pleasantly warm but a noon kickoff so tough to get overly drunk. A girl in her early 20s was going batshit crazy over every bad call. Horrific screeching for three hours. Very angry.

Two years ago, LSU and Alabama. Mink Fitzpatrick goes down. My buddies and I are trying to figure out what happened. A lady sitting next to us who was in her mid-40s says, "Oh that's just Minkah. He was a little banged up coming into this week. He might have tweaked his ankle. But he will be just fine." I am fairly certain she didn't know her kids' names but she knew about the injury report for the Crimson Tide.

Last year, Auburn and Georgia. Another middle aged lady. This time an Auburn fan. Screamed as Gus Malzahn for three hours. "GET A NEW PLAYBOOK GUUUUUUS! YOU SUCK GUUUUUS!" Again, very angry. But she was right.

The other thing that has struck me about visiting SEC Country is that in Athens you can't chew tobacco in the stadium. Security asked a number of fans around us to dispose of theirs. Now, you wanna cuss at the opposing coach? No worries. Just don't rub snuff while you're doing it. Same thing at Florida. Don't even bring it in the stadium.

Overall the fanbases down there are well-informed and know their shit. I have had zero bad experiences but I was a neutral observer and was there for the experience. Georgia was probably the one I think would be most intimidating for an opposing team. Pregame is like being at a hip-hop concert with 90,000 people who hate you.

I have never found my fellow Gators to be that...
by Scoop80  (2019-09-22 22:40:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knowledgeable. As a group, they sure as hell weren’t in my law school days, admittedly long ago. Most UF alumni I have encountered over the ensuing decades tend to be less knowledgeable than most Domers I know.

I'm married to one, and he wouldn't hesitate to say
by ocmj  (2019-09-23 00:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm much more knowledgable about all things football than he. I think he thinks it's hot...And he watches most ND games with me from start to finish.

Foreplay *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-09-23 13:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This guy seems knowledgeable. (link)
by cj  (2019-09-22 22:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr. Two Bits He Ain't...
by Scoop80  (2019-09-22 23:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

JS would've found a way to sponsor the cheer and/or otherwise monetize it.

That guy’s a legend. Thanks.
by cj  (2019-09-22 23:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dancing Harry was around when I was growing up. Funny stuff...

There’s a guy out here in so cal that shows up at HS games cape in tow. He literally belongs in a strait jacket. No school affiliation, free lancing and thinks people should give him money...

Non stop frenetic random lunacy .... I think he shoots crack into his eyeballs...

True. But this was still impressive.
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:06:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've had 2 at Mississippi State so I have been to a few SEC venues. They crank it up for everything. I am always a little jealous because I wish that ND fans could still be that passionate.

Sanford stadium has the reputation of being the quietest 95k
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 21:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People in the SEC

You want intimidating go to Baton Rouge. Holy shit that place at night just goes a bit differently than anywhere else.

Sanford was plenty loud
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-09-23 08:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was every bit as loud as Tennessee in 2004, if not louder. I'm guessing Georgia fans are like many others -- get a big name, top 10 team in your stadium, and they'll be loud. Play some body bag game? Not so much. I'm guessing LSU wasn't rockin' when they played Northwestern State.

It’s reputation is one of being quiet.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-23 12:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure it was loud as hell Saturday

That sounds like a bogus reputation - it was loud.
by TonyBullets  (2019-09-22 23:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe that was from the tail end of the Richt era, who knows.

Its on the list.
by jakam31  (2019-09-22 22:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We ran into some LSU fans two years ago. They were appalled we hadn't been to Death Valley. The plan is Bama-LSU next year.

It was a great atmosphere for sure
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-09-22 21:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I disagree with you re: the use of the Jumbotron. It seemed like there were were tons of advertisements, and everything in that stadium was "brought to you by..."

There were a few logos on the Tron
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:18:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they were in the corners. Lots of ads around the stadium though.

Go to a Mississippi State game and you can see the way it can really go wrong. Before every replay they flash a screen saying "Time for the (sponsor name) replay". They have actual commercials on the screen during timeouts, some featuring the head coach shilling for a local business. Even the band halftime show is "brought to you by (sponsor)"

That’s how it’s used at every MAC game too *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 22:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought their pregame thing
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-09-22 20:23:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With an appropriated version of the Battle Hymn of the Republic where they all praise their Georgian forebears and pledge loyalty to the university of Georgia, as the most enviable institution deserving of loyalty ever was some creepy ass confederate bullshit.

To get a real good sense of it, try the laser light show at
by irishintheville  (2019-09-23 09:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stone Mountain, GA park. Davis, Lee and Jackson riding their horses carved into the side of an 800 foot granite bluff with the battle hymn of the republic blaring as the encore. Redneck heaven.

Agreed. Multiple songs after the national anthem felt odd *
by doug dascenzo  (2019-09-23 00:03:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Gory, gory what a hell of a way to die"...
by TonyBullets  (2019-09-22 23:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That song has been appropriated by everyone and their brother - I thought the solo trumpet angle was pretty cool. Maybe I'm biased as I played trumpet growing up.

It's one thing to adapt the song
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-09-23 13:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the union army to a branch of the US military fighting Hitler.

It's quite another to appropriate it from the song the Union used to rally the north and the troops in the cause against slavery to be used to pay homage to Georgia's prior soldiers and promote loyalty to Georgia above all else.

Agreed
by Brandon  (2019-09-22 23:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our group all looked at each other like WTF was that?

That was weird. *
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Announcers suggested Kelly and ND would have liked
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-09-22 20:00:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that type of atmosphere for the '17 game. I would have liked not losing 10 of 14 games heading into that game and having the AD mock those that called for a coaching change.

Bingo. *
by MobileIrish  (2019-09-22 22:49:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nail hit on the head.
by IRISHPRIDE09  (2019-09-22 21:21:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fan reaction is the result of play on the field.

Not some instructions from a jumbotron.

Agree, although I was told that the crowd for their first
by VaDblDmr  (2019-09-22 19:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two games was nothing like yesterday. I'm not sure what on their schedule comes close on a regular basis other than maybe Auburn every other year. UF is neutral site. How fired up do they get for South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, etc.?

Our fanbase has a bit of Stockholm syndrome
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 19:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

25 years of almosts and returns to glory and being in the conversation without really being in it. The passion and raucousness that led to an unsportsmanlike penalty for excessive crowd noise has been sapped away methodically, purposefully even. But we still show up because that’s what we’ve always done.

That's the way I feel too. *
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:03:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't forget the War on Alcohol Consumption
by slats  (2019-09-22 23:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Long days of steady alcohol intake followed by darkness in Death Valley were LSU's formula for success for decades. Witness our daytime win against LSU followed by our Independence Bowl loss when they were selling beer by the stadium cup during a night game. It was loud.

ND has approached it much differently.

Yeah, but do they have a narrow tunnel? *
by irish2x  (2019-09-22 19:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post