That arguably would've been biggest ND win anyone under 35..
by Scoop80 (2019-09-22 19:50:31)

had ever seen. It arguably would've been biggest win away from home since 1/1/94 Cotton and biggest regular season win since FSU '93. It's hard to think of too many wins since that would've compared--OU '12, for example, finished w/ 3 losses.

This one still stings this evening b/c it was so big and it was so winnable. It was easy to get over the Clemson loss--that game was essentially over by halftime, and the Irish clearly didn't belong on that field. This game, OTOH, was pi**ed away by false start penalties, dubious play-calling, dropped passes, and inept clock management. ND's guttiest defensive effort in a long time and visibly better ST's play than is normally seen were squandered.

It was a chance for those who've heard the stories passed down by their elders to actually witness ND FB excellence first hand. It was a chance to put on-field achievement first and one-off unis, jock rock, jumbotrons, and "the brand" second. It was a chance to get a little payback for 2 prior woulda coulda shoulda losses to UGa.

Tomorrow, I guess that I will join the Gang from Gray's Ferry and FOCUS ON UVA! For tonight, however, I wish that people who weren't following ND back in 1993 had been able to see why those who were have high expectations for this program.

would winning @ Clemson in monsoon been a bigger win ?
by harigtad  (2019-09-23 10:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a really solid team for the Tigers.
UGA TBD

At time of the game, no. But...
by revressbo  (2019-09-23 12:13:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you’re right that it remains to be seen how UGA does.

Also, and perhaps more relevant, that likely cost ND a playoff berth. I think that team was better than this team will be. That 2015 ND team was loaded. Much, much more talented offensively than this team. And while this year’s D is probably more talented overall, there’s no one on the level of Jaylon Smith. Maybe Hamilton can be, but not now as a freshman.

Infinite loop under Kelly of "If only he had..."
by btd  (2019-09-23 10:34:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your post is correct, but in reality I bet very few ND fans expected anything positive to happen on that 4th and 9 play. Why? Because a Kelly coached team has never made that play.

Sadly, even some of the worst coaches in ND history have had big wins and "made that play". What separates Kelly from all other coaches in ND history is:

1) He isn't overtly horrific or great -- our history is nearly exclusively bi-polar

2) He is a 9-4 possibly now a 10-3 coach that cannot ever win a title

- That's a 7-2 coach in the era of Ara
- That's a 9-3 coach in the era of Holtz

ND faces the ultimate decision the same as UGA did with Richt, Ohio State did with Cooper, etc. Do you just settle for being above average but knowingly never elite, or do you fire that coach and hope to become elite?

3) He will go his entire career at ND without knowingly ever beating a single elite team. Zero.

His sole win over an "elite" team will be the MSU win and at the time of the game we thought we were playing an unranked / at best barely top 25 team. No real joy from that game -- because at the time we were just hoping to not lose yet again to some half assed team.

When the lights are bright and the world knows it is a giant moment -- Kelly has never won over an actual elite team. His greatest two moments at ND will be Stanford and Oklahoma in 2012 -- which in the Holtz era, for example, wouldn't be in the top 15 or maybe even top 20 wins.

A BK team did make that play once
by revressbo  (2019-09-23 10:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4th-and-long at FSU. Golson to Robinson. Of course (perhaps not due to our own fault) we ultimately didn’t finish the job.

And of course, we still finished that year with five losses and 2016 happened shortly thereafter (and I actually thought the FSU game was more competitive/even [and better coached] than Saturday, where UGA felt in control basically the whole 2nd half until we weirdly had a chance at the end to steal it). So I’m taking Saturday’s “moral victory” with a grain of salt.

True. That one play was indeed the one and only time he
by btd  (2019-09-23 11:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

actually did make the play.

I agree on 2014
by enginerd194  (2019-09-23 10:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That felt like a much better played game by ND, and was subsequently a much harder horsekick to the scrotum afterwards than last Saturday

Biggest since FSU 1993. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-09-23 09:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Fr. John and Swarby can start sharing some of
by irishintheville  (2019-09-23 09:32:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their fond memories during their glory days. I sometimes wonder if they ever went to games when they were there.

With some of us being from the Era of Ara, it makes us seem
by Dillon76  (2019-09-23 00:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like grumpy old men to these young guys. ND was the NC in CFB my Sophomore year (1973) and I missed a 2nd NC that happened the year after I graduated (1977). NONE of these young guys have experienced that and as a result, most of them are content with the constant near miss seasons that we have now. It's similar to the situation with the US Marine Corps. The young Marines don't understand why I get so upset when I see a fat Marine. There use to be a time where you NEVER saw a fat Marine! They're use to seeing it but us older former Marines are not.

We, or at least I, used to simply expect to win.
by Barney68  (2019-09-23 08:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was not open to question. The questions were always "by how much?" and "will they score at all?"

That mindset was so ingrained that I found myself expecting to win when we got the ball the last time last Saturday night; even continuing to believe when Book's last pass was still in the air.

It's not 1966 any more.

This is exactly where I am.
by BeijingIrish  (2019-09-23 10:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Faust years were such an aberration. In 1982 or 1983, I remember thinking as I drove back to Chicago after a game that "this just can't be happening--how long is this hell going to last". Then came Lou and everything felt better from Day 1. It's also not 1988 anymore.

I said to my wife on that last drive
by Harigtad  (2019-09-22 23:07:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These were the games and ways ND used to win but I can’t temener the last time we won a game like this - and of course we didn’t

Great post. *
by SXSW  (2019-09-22 22:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moses and the Israelites wandered for 40 years, so
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-09-22 22:09:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we have another five or so years before any coaching changes are made.

And yeah, though the Hindus speak of karma *
by ACross  (2019-09-22 23:01:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As long as Kelly roams the sidelines I don’t see any changes
by NW Ohio Irish  (2019-09-22 21:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coming anytime soon.

Hope can be a cruel thing
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-09-22 21:16:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I picked ND to lose 38-23. I kind of wish that had happened. Instead, the team kept it close almost all game. It gave me irrational hope that the Irish would somehow prevail. It sucked me in again.

When they lost I was pissed. I then had to ask myself what I was so upset about. I KNEW we'd lose and we did. The manner in which we lost is what was so upsetting.

There is nothing worse than false hope or false optimism. Brian Kelly will find a way to lose. The sooner I grasp that fact (however late) the better I will sleep.

I fully expected a blow out although I did predict a 0-0
by ocmj  (2019-09-22 22:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

score after the 1st. I knew the Defense would show up, but figured the O would blow it.

I prepared well before the game; had an amazing surf session in the morning. I swore I wouldn't let this game erase the after glow of that.

Then, as you said, that fookin irrational hope sprung eternal (even with BK on the sideline). I just felt we were f'ing due - and Kirby Smart proving he's a little dumb sometimes added to it.

I really relate to your post, if you haven't figured that out by now...

I agree. And I turned 35 today. *
by Johnnysalami  (2019-09-22 21:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank Leahy wouldn't have hired Kelly to carry his bags. *
by The Flash  (2019-09-22 20:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or park his cars at a Christmas party *
by TCIrish03  (2019-09-22 20:26:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

POTD *
by Scoop80  (2019-09-22 20:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post