SEC fans are a little nuts.
by jakam31 (2019-09-22 21:54:07)

In reply to: Atmosphere in the stadium.  posted by Domer84

I've been to Athens, Tuscaloosa, and Gainesville and the fans at each stop were equal parts knowledgeable and crazy. Georgia probably had the best environment of the three.

Three years ago, South Carolina and Florida in late November. Two mediocre football teams. Pleasantly warm but a noon kickoff so tough to get overly drunk. A girl in her early 20s was going batshit crazy over every bad call. Horrific screeching for three hours. Very angry.

Two years ago, LSU and Alabama. Mink Fitzpatrick goes down. My buddies and I are trying to figure out what happened. A lady sitting next to us who was in her mid-40s says, "Oh that's just Minkah. He was a little banged up coming into this week. He might have tweaked his ankle. But he will be just fine." I am fairly certain she didn't know her kids' names but she knew about the injury report for the Crimson Tide.

Last year, Auburn and Georgia. Another middle aged lady. This time an Auburn fan. Screamed as Gus Malzahn for three hours. "GET A NEW PLAYBOOK GUUUUUUS! YOU SUCK GUUUUUS!" Again, very angry. But she was right.

The other thing that has struck me about visiting SEC Country is that in Athens you can't chew tobacco in the stadium. Security asked a number of fans around us to dispose of theirs. Now, you wanna cuss at the opposing coach? No worries. Just don't rub snuff while you're doing it. Same thing at Florida. Don't even bring it in the stadium.

Overall the fanbases down there are well-informed and know their shit. I have had zero bad experiences but I was a neutral observer and was there for the experience. Georgia was probably the one I think would be most intimidating for an opposing team. Pregame is like being at a hip-hop concert with 90,000 people who hate you.

Replies: