Quote I heard yesterday
by alleghenyirish (2019-09-23 09:27:32)

"When you start accepting defeats just because your team played well and just because your players gave their best, a performance for people to be proud of… I think when you get used to it, that’s when the big clubs stop being big clubs."

This was a comment made by former Chelsea football Club manager Jose Mourinho regarding his former team's performance against league leader's Liverpool yesterday, a 2-1 home loss. Chelsea are usually considered one of the top clubs in England but are in a transition period at the moment. I think it perfectly sums up where we are as a program.

There are those that look at Saturday Night as an opportunity missed. They will comment on clock management and our penalties as well as our putrid third quarter and there are those that will comment on how we should be "proud" of losing by less than a touchdown to a top 3 program on the road and it shows we belong. The more I think about that mindset the more I accept that we are not a "big club" in the current landscape, and probably haven't been for a good two decades at least.

Chelsea won Champions and Europa titles . . .
by peeps  (2019-09-23 09:49:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2012 and 2013, respectively. ND hasn’t won a championship since 1988 (arguably 1993). ND has also committed itself to cash-grabbing and whoring the program over the last 30 years instead of using excellence and winning as the ultimate marketing tool.

There’s no comparison here.

I'm not talking about comparing programs
by alleghenyirish  (2019-09-23 09:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm talking about the quote. Its impossible to compare trophies in soccer to College Football as there is only one trophy to win in one and three to four in the other.