There are very few programs that I would allow it.
by OITLinebacker (2019-10-17 08:27:12)

In reply to: What kind of alum lets their kid go to USC?  posted by NJND96

USC has a few great academic programs that I would probably not actively sabotage one of my kids from applying to. I struggle to think of any undergrad programs at Michigan (or grad programs for that matter) that would make me consider it a better option than *any* other alternative that they would qualify for.

Now that my kids are quickly approaching college application age, I ask them to consider what programs they might be interested in, keeping in mind that it will likely change a time or two. Once they have that in mind I ask them to consider the culture of a school they might apply to. Will it fit with their values? Not that they shouldn't be challenged on what they believe, but that they shouldn't be in a position where the student body might be openly hostile to their values and beliefs.

If they are smart enough to get in to either of those schools they are smart enough to get into alternatives that are a better fit.

This guy is just trying to love his daughter who is rebellious and wants to crap on things her father loves. Either that or he didn't love ND enough to instill the values that he purports to have on his daughter. What sort of hypocrite is proud of a daughter who is in an institution (USC Band) that often exhibits boorish behavior and often invites much worse than they got last weekend, to the point that the relish such reactions.

Only thing to their credit is at least they aren't Stanford's "band" (I use such terms for a rabble of "musicians" lightly).