some yes, most no
by thewagon (2019-11-30 13:25:06)

In reply to: Most of those coaches at Notre Dame...  posted by revressbo

People have selective and short memories apparently. Could easily blow up at least 2/3 of this list, but not worth the time. Petersen can’t even consistently win 10 games in the pac12 despite a talent advantage over most teams he plays. Yes Coach O is having a good year but let’s completely disregard his head coaching record prior to this year.

Do “selective and short memories” remember 4-8 2016?
by skeptic  (2019-11-30 14:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is also the whole of his record, including no wins in 2012.

There was a reboot.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-30 14:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only 2012 survived. But not the sanction that vacated those wins.

Most would.
by revressbo  (2019-11-30 13:41:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Washington is a good program. It’s not Notre Dame. Willingham went 21-15 at ND. He went 11-37 at Washington. Petersen won 10 games each of the previous three years. I have no doubt he’d consistently (doesn’t mean “always”) win 10+ at ND.

Orgeron does seem changed, so hard to tell. He really seems to need great coordinators. He’s also consistently played really tough schedules, though. I’m inclined to agree with you, though, on him. Regardless, I said “most”, not “all” and I stand by that.

First off, Kelly hasn’t “consistently” won 10 games.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-30 13:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second, I didn’t say those coaches would consistently win ten games at ND. Read the posted words. I carefully chose them, so carefully read them. I said those coaches would win ten games “against this schedule”, with comparable talent to the current ND roster.

I then said they’re not all better than Kelly.

The point is that there’s nothing special or distinct about this record. That should be a baseline, and instead of people being happy with it, they should seek to build from there. Sure, you might catch a bad break here or there and not hit ten. But it shouldn’t happen often. 36 losses in ten years is not the mark of any program I’d call elite.

he should create a different list.
by MrE  (2019-11-30 13:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Coaches who would never, ever go worse than 7-5 at ND with the 2016 roster and schedule."

The list would be 3x as large as the OP's list.