Right Kinda Cracks
by Kayo (2019-12-05 12:44:32)

• The 17-7 deficit was wholly unnecessary.

• 31-7 late in the game after falling behind 17-7 was more like it.

• The final touchdown, Khalid Kareem’s fumble recovery in the end zone with 00:41 left to play, was a just reward for David Shaw.

• Legends Trophy!!!

• No Fighting Irish fumbles. No Fighting Irish interceptions. That will go a long way to winning a football game.

• I’m pretty sure Stanford’s sellout streak is over.

• The Irish didn’t get the ball to start the game. The coin must have landed on its edge.

• The beautiful screen pass play for a Tony Jones touchdown is a perfect example of the old adage. If at first you don’t succeed, try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try again.

• Can we pick conference championship games based on intra-conference point differential? Clemson (+286) over Virginia (+63) and Ohio State (+320) over Wisconsin (+96) seem like locks. Utah (+225) vs Oregon (+144) and LSU (+173) vs Georgia (+118) suggest advantage for Utah and LSU. Oklahoma (+128) vs Baylor (+117) looks like it’s close to a push. There is no reason to stay home to watch the two night games.

• I don’t know that I have enjoyed a Notre Dame player’s season more than I have Chase Claypool’s. The guy makes a spectacular catch every game, often more than one.

• Drew White (75), Asmar Bilal (72), and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (71) will compete for the team lead in tackles during the bowl game. May the best man win, and may they all kick ass.

• Will there be a “10-2 Regular Season” t-shirt?

• Pinkel Award nominations closed last week, so it’s time to name our season award winners. I’m going with Alabama. The Tide already had a New Mexico State notch on the bedpost but was still compelled to conquer Western Carolina as preparation for its rivalry game on Saturday. Didn’t help for the game, but it earned them my Pinkel Trophy for 2019.

• Northwestern scored a touchdown to take a 29-10 lead with 1:09 left in the game and went for the two point conversion. Pat Fitzgerald… What an asshole! I have to admit that I like it.

• I’m going to give Jason Baum, BC’s football communications czar, a Hardin Nomination and chide him for missing the opportunity to contend for the 2019 Hardin championship. “BC is bowl eligible for the sixth time in seven seasons under head coach Steve Addazio,” Baum’s postgame notes said. Addazio’s best bowl eligible record was 7-5, and this is his second 6-6 bowl eligible season. We aren’t talking high achievement here. However, Baum missed the opportunity to note that Addazio’s lone bowl win came after a 6-6 season which means we can expect big things from the Eagles in the Pinstripe Bowl.in the Pinstripe Bowl.

• From Michigan’s OSU game story: “No. 10 Michigan (9-3, 6-3 Big Ten) was riding a four-game win streak, and had outscored Notre Dame, Maryland, Michigan State and Indiana by a combined tally of 166-45.” That note is motivation to lead a good life lest I go to hell and have it on my wall for eternity.

• “It’s just, check it off the list so you guys won’t talk about it,” Brian Kelly said about breaking his 5-game losing streak at Stanford Stadium. Whatever motivates you, coach. Let’s discuss embarrassing bowl losses.

• Camping, anyone?

• Kayo

• Replies:
    This post or one above it in the reply chain has been locked by the Site Administrators. No reply is permitted.