Crack Backs Atcha
by Bacchus (2019-12-02 20:15:55)

In reply to: Right Kinda Cracks  posted by Kayo

• The 17-7 deficit was wholly unnecessary.

• Maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. We know how Brian Kelly is convinced that receiving the opening kickoff provides instant momentum. Early on, the Irish looked determined to prove his thesis.

• 31-7 late in the game after falling behind 17-7 was more like it.

• There was only so much we were willing to do to kick-start Davis Mills’ 2020 Heisman buzz.

• The final touchdown, Khalid Kareem’s fumble recovery in the end zone with 00:41 left to play, was a just reward for David Shaw.

• And provided a nice exclamation point to end an era of utter futility at Stanford Stadium under Brian Kelly.

• Legends Trophy!!!

• That can’t be right. The Big 10 got rid of those divisional designations. Besides, we got blown out by Michigan. Oh, wait. You meant something else.

• No Fighting Irish fumbles. No Fighting Irish interceptions. That will go a long way to winning a football game.

• Turnover margin has been a bright spot for Notre Dame all year. The Irish are plus 15, good for second best in the nation among power 5 conference schools.

• I’m pretty sure Stanford’s sellout streak is over.

• Stanford is full of smart creative people; time for some outside-the-box thinking. Tackle the homelessness problem by giving every vagrant in San Francisco a free ticket.

• The Irish didn’t get the ball to start the game. The coin must have landed on its edge.

• Either that or David Shaw looked over at Kelly and said, “Hold my beer.”

• The beautiful screen pass play for a Tony Jones touchdown is a perfect example of the old adage. If at first you don’t succeed, try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try again.

• Would that they work on the running game with such persistence. (But for a minute there, I was getting worried about you.)

• Can we pick conference championship games based on intra-conference point differential? Clemson (+286) over Virginia (+63) and Ohio State (+320) over Wisconsin (+96) seem like locks. Utah (+225) vs Oregon (+144) and LSU (+173) vs Georgia (+118) suggest advantage for Utah and LSU. Oklahoma (+128) vs Baylor (+117) looks like it’s close to a push. There is no reason to stay home to watch the two night games.

• As if college football isn’t pro forma enough.

• I don’t know that I have enjoyed a Notre Dame player’s season more than I have Chase Claypool’s. The guy makes a spectacular catch every game, often more than one.

• We’re going to miss Claypool, and there’s no clear successor in sight. On a separate note, no player has frustrated me more to watch than Tony Jones---and it’s not Tony’s fault. When he gashes up the middle as he did against USC or when he slips out on a wheel route as he did yesterday, he brings a smile. But when Long calls his number to try to get to the edge, it makes me want to tear my hair out. Tony will be back next year. Let’s hope the Irish offensive brain trust finally figures out how best to use him.

• Drew White (75), Asmar Bilal (72), and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (71) will compete for the team lead in tackles during the bowl game. May the best man win, and may they all kick ass.

• Alohi Gilman (66) is probably too far behind to close the gap in the bowl game, but there’s no reason why he can’t join in the ass-kicking, too.

• Will there be a “10-2 Regular Season” t-shirt?

• T-shirt? I wouldn’t put it past Swarby to push for a “10-2 Regular Season” statue.

• Pinkel Award nominations closed last week, so it’s time to name our season award winners. I’m going with Alabama. The Tide already had a New Mexico State notch on the bedpost but was still compelled to conquer Western Carolina as preparation for its rivalry game on Saturday. Didn’t help for the game, but it earned them my Pinkel Trophy for 2019.

• Doesn’t matter if you had gone in a different direction, Kayo, Alabama would have claimed the Pinkel Trophy anyway. I’d like to take this opportunity to note what a shambles the so-called “rivalry weekend” in college football has become. Sure, there are some traditional rivalries like Ohio State-Michigan and Auburn-Alabama that still resonate. But conference realignment has foisted a number of factitious “designated rivals” that we’re expected to take seriously. Nebraska-Iowa? Missouri-Arkansas? Meh. But my dishonorable mention in this category goes to Penn State-Rutgers. Gag. Winner gets a Natty Light keg party on the Jersey shore.

• Northwestern scored a touchdown to take a 29-10 lead with 1:09 left in the game and went for the two point conversion. Pat Fitzgerald… What an asshole! I have to admit that I like it.

• Nothing is more provocative than providing bulletin board material for next year’s NU-Illinois matchup.

• I’m going to give Jason Baum, BC’s football communications czar, a Hardin Nomination and chide him for missing the opportunity to contend for the 2019 Hardin championship. “BC is bowl eligible for the sixth time in seven seasons under head coach Steve Addazio,” Baum’s postgame notes said. Addazio’s best bowl eligible record was 7-5, and this is his second 6-6 bowl eligible season. We aren’t talking high achievement here. However, Baum missed the opportunity to note that Addazio’s lone bowl win came after a 6-6 season which means we can expect big things from the Eagles in the Pinstripe Bowl.in the Pinstripe Bowl.

• Texas A&M’s Associate AD for Football Communications, Alan Cannon, had his work cut out for him after the Aggies 50-7 shellacking at the hands of the LSU Tigers. Showing a grasp for the quintessential stat, Cannon notes that “A&M matched a season best as it landed three punts inside the 20.” He might also have noted that A&M’s 7 punts averaged 50+ yards, but that might have come across as bragging.

• From Michigan’s OSU game story: “No. 10 Michigan (9-3, 6-3 Big Ten) was riding a four-game win streak, and had outscored Notre Dame, Maryland, Michigan State and Indiana by a combined tally of 166-45.” That note is motivation to lead a good life lest I go to hell and have it on my wall for eternity.

• I’d cure cancer to avoid that fate.

• “It’s just, check it off the list so you guys won’t talk about it,” Brian Kelly said about breaking his 5-game losing streak at Stanford Stadium. Whatever motivates you, coach. Let’s discuss embarrassing bowl losses.

• And embarrassing bowl wins.

• Camping, anyone?

• Probably not what the ND powers-that-be had in mind.

• Kayo

• Bacchus

Replies:
    This post or one above it in the reply chain has been locked by the Site Administrators. No reply is permitted.