Bowl selection guide
by ND44 (2019-12-03 20:16:16)

Sucks we're mathematically eliminated from Pork O'Grady's. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-12-03 21:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In running for the Greater Wilmington Buiscuit Belly Bowl.
by ProV1x  (2019-12-04 11:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anthony Travel in charge of all bowl travel arrangements.

Is that Sheila McCavepig’s corpulent cousin?
by ACross  (2019-12-03 23:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coulda sworn it was the spitting image.

What about the Impossible Whopper Bowl? *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-12-03 22:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Tegridy Farms Bowl
by jt  (2019-12-03 23:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plays like shit, and you won't even care

Holy Lord! I think you cracked the code, Sherm! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-12-03 23:00:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Under Swarbrick, a two loss season gets ND a 4th tier
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-12-03 21:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bowl (or rough equivalent)? We’re so fortunate to be graced by his savvy leadership in its second decade...

Not true. The Camping World Bowl is above Tier 1.
by RagingBull  (2019-12-04 03:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it's like Tier 1A! I'm a proponent of capitalism and marketing but when watching/following college football makes you feel like you're reading an email from a Nigerian investment firm, it's gone too far.

You're going to love this - a Tier 1 Bowl featuring the powerful and beloved and very special Fighting Irish versus the best college team in greater Gambier, Ohio - Kenyon College!

Don’t forget, we were once Kenyon College.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-12-04 07:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Struggling to take our place among the nation’s best back in the day. It’s only fitting that we should have the chance to pay it forward.

Our last 10-2 '15 Fiesta before that '06 Sugar...
by cj  (2019-12-03 21:17:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'02 Gator

I may have to send saucy a Kewpie doll...

The 1991 team was 9-3 entering the Sugar Bowl
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-12-03 22:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only 2-loss ND teams that got shut out of the top bowls were 1998 (9-2) and 2002 (10-2). Both lost in the Gator Bowl.

The 1971 team, which went 8-2, preemptively declined a Gator Bowl bid that was unofficially conveyed before the season-ending loss at LSU. Back then, the Gator was probably the 5th highest-rated bowl, but still not enticing enough for ND, which had only accepted bowl bids for the previous 2 years (both Cotton). There was no mutual interest for a 3rd straight Cotton match vs. Texas (which was also 8-2 in 1971, down markedly from the #1 teams of 1969 and 1970), and the Orange and Sugar were flush with then-undefeated teams from the Big 8 and SEC (the Orange got #1 Nebraska vs. #2 Alabama, while the Sugar had rivalry-game losers Oklahoma and Auburn). So the 1971 situation was not nearly as sorry as 1998, 2002, or 2019.

I was a freshman in 1971 and my vague (and uninformed)
by Rosecrea  (2019-12-04 13:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recollection is that there was a lot of dissension, or at least, "unhappiness" on that team. My further recollection was that the team voted not to go to a Bowl, not that ND turned it down because we thought the Gator was beneath our dignity (although I certainly thought so in 1976 when we did go).But, I'm not sure if that's what you were implying, either...
In any event, our situation is pretty sorry now, mostly due to Conference tie-ins, our relative mediocrity and the proliferation of teams with meaningless gaudy records due to the proliferation of powder puff scheduling by everyone in CFB, including us.

It was a team vote, as my post stated
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-12-04 13:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was out of the country in fall 1971 (an 8-year-old in England during my dad's first sabbatical from ND), but from news reports, it seemed the Gator was simply not attractive enough for the players. The reports didn't discuss dissension or unhappiness, but logic suggests factors like that outweighed late December in Jacksonville as far as a majority of players were concerned.

The 1975 team also voted against a potential bowl bid, after they dropped to 7-3 with a disheartening loss at Pitt. I recall upperclassmen being particularly against going to a bowl that year (even though the Cotton was potentially in play even at 7-3), while freshmen and sophomores were more inclined to go. I'm not sure if a similar split existed in 1971 -- freshmen weren't even eligible, and 1975 had the added issue of a new head coach who was not beloved by many juniors or seniors, to put it diplomatically -- but it wouldn't surprise me if 1971 seniors were less enthused than sophomores about Gator Bowl prospects.

There were also only four “major” bowls back then...
by revressbo  (2019-12-03 23:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as opposed to six now.

Also the big bowls fought over independents back then
by TWO  (2019-12-04 10:08:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to get the best TV matchup. It was the day of the roving Bowl Committee guys showing up in their matching Blazers to ND games hoping that we'd come to their bowl.

Yep, the Fiesta and Peach were new bowls
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-12-03 23:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Fiesta rose to major status a lot faster than the Peach.

If you play in a muddy, chilly Fulton County Stadium
by domer4  (2019-12-04 10:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the end of December, it should take you light years to equal Tempe and the dry mountains...

Thanks for the heads up and other info.
by cj  (2019-12-03 22:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PS I liked Rockne’s 10 win undefeated season that ended with beating Stanford in the Rose.

Today’s rankings solidified the Camping World Bowl. Bummer. *
by isaywhateveryo  (2019-12-03 20:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post