Making the Best of a Bad Bowl Movement
by RJD (2019-12-04 09:31:47)

Given the possible choices below, playing in a dump stadium against Texas or the Mullet might not be so bad. I prefer both to Memphis or a rematch with Virginia...Rick

Camping World Bowl
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida
Noon, Dec. 28, ABC
Bonagura: Notre Dame vs. Texas
Schlabach: Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma State

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas
Noon, Dec. 28, ESPN
Bonagura: Memphis vs. Baylor
Schlabach: Memphis vs. Auburn

Capital One Orange Bowl
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida
8 p.m., Dec. 30, ESPN
Bonagura: Virginia vs. Florida
Schlabach: Virginia vs. Florida

Bring back the International Bowl in Toronto
by bluengold07  (2019-12-04 12:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet the students, particularly the freshman and sophomores, would enjoy going to that one. Plus it was indoors.

Poutine and the ballet. Lovely combo. *
by Wooderson  (2019-12-04 16:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Raging Bull Bowl? *
by Fletch  (2019-12-04 12:14:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll do coin toss after downing 2 Aligns + 10 tacos doused
by RagingBull  (2019-12-05 11:51:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in sour cream and that have been baking in the Barstow, California sun for hours. Because that is where I envison this bowl - halfway between Vegas and LA.

Match-up will be #5 AAC West and #3 Sun Belt East. There will be a carve-out though for teams coached by former ND coaches who have been fired.

So this year would be New Mexico versus South Florida.

I'd recommend Greek yogurt *
by enginerd194  (2019-12-04 10:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and lay off the chia seeds for a week. *
by squid  (2019-12-05 06:21:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or maybe just a Greek. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-12-04 11:25:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is still a possibility for Citrus
by isaywhateveryo  (2019-12-04 10:09:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that would require Georgia to beat LSU (and both make the playoffs) or Wisconsin to beat Ohio State. Neither will happen, but if it did we could play Bama in the Citrus.

Kelly's whole tenure has been a bad bowel movement *
by Beaknd  (2019-12-04 09:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The cotton & orange have to be thrilled with Memphis
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-12-04 09:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and UVA. I guess we’re not the only ones that lose out under the current system.

I’ve never seen so many potential non-compelling matchups.
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-12-04 11:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps I’m wrong, but back at the beginning of the new low-tier bowl explosion, there were a lot of games that still featured interesting matchups of decent teams. Now it seems like 85% are garbage team 1 vs. garbage team 2. Even the better teams are getting matched up against inferior competition. I really don’t give a rat’s ass to see Memphis play anyone in a NY6 bowl.

I really hope the empty seats and over-saturation come home to roost soon so we can trim back to a reasonable number of traditional bowls featuring good matchups and a high level of competition.

TV money is driving this.
by Wooderson  (2019-12-04 16:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN pays a relatively low price for holiday content, vs. what the conference rights cost.

how is being #15 & not being in a major bowl "losing out?" *
by MrE  (2019-12-04 09:41:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure I understand what you mean. Because of
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-12-04 11:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

conference tie-ins, a likely unranked UVA team may play in the Orange instead of a team like ND as in years past. ND loses millions in bowl payout (based on last years numbers, there’s a $3mm difference just between Camping World & Citrus, so I’d imagine the Orange is a very big number) and the bowl loses millions of viewers & potential advertising dollars in future years because of assuredly poor ratings this year.

Not to mention playing a lower team in a lower bowl that has potentially twice as many losses is a lose lose proposition. If camping world is our only option, ND should have some pride and stay home.

Itsbeing ranked #15 that is losing out *
by BeatPS0607  (2019-12-04 09:48:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we're not going to be ranked #15 after next week *
by Catdog2  (2019-12-04 10:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, we will be #14 at best
by pmoose  (2019-12-04 10:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At worst, the committee will drop ND further since we don't play a conference championship.