ND's ranking(15) mirrors their recruiting rankings
by Hanratty5ND (2019-12-04 10:10:45)

247 Recruiting rankings:

2016-#15
2017-#10
2018-#10
2019-#16
2020-#12...and dropping. Likely out of top 15.

My question is this. All the naysayers keep saying how ND could never recruit a top 3 or even top 5 class again. OK,given that, why in the hell can't Kelly get a class closer that #5 range?

The recruiting results, just like his coaching, are just not good enough.
Yet both the ND ADM and a good chunk of what's left of the fan base think this is perfectly fine.

#14 in the 247 roster talent composite, i.e. cumulative
by VaDblDmr  (2019-12-04 21:35:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruiting ranking.

Lyght killed it off with his 3-star corner recruits.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-12-04 15:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer works his ass off recruiting.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-12-04 13:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have always questioned Kelly's role in the recruiting process. Does he simply visit kids who have already committed in order to try and keep their pledge's?

Personally I think he hates recruiting and therefore does not work hard at it.

2020 is a small class but has 4 top 100 kids.

Seems like he gets on a few undecided guys late
by BIG MAC  (2019-12-04 13:44:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meyer is full bore. It shows.

Well, check out the link. Some folks do more with less.
by Rosecrea  (2019-12-04 12:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure we're not among them.

Their coaching ranking is certainly no higher. *
by ACross  (2019-12-04 11:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Jack will find a way to extend Kelly
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-12-04 11:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and waste more money and more years.

The money doesn't bother me.
But the years do. None of us are getting any younger.

sauc: brian what changes will you make to get us into the
by cj  (2019-12-04 15:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

top 4 next year?
kelly: uh umm, uh umm, better execution??
saucy: excellent! I'd liken to give you a raise and an extension. People really don't understand how difficult my job is...

Great point. And, if "3 straight 10-win seasons" is so great
by ndzippy  (2019-12-04 11:38:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why isn't it leading to better results on the recruiting front?

I've been told (several times now, by ND's own "leadership" team) that the last time this happened was 1991-1993. Here's what Lou followed that run up with:

1993: #4 overall
1994: #9 overall
1995: #1 overall
1996: #10 overall

Brian Kelly is an impostor.

Recruiting rankings
by AquinasDomer  (2019-12-04 11:06:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have 2 5 stars in the class already. Our class is going to be very small because not many guys are leaving. We have room for a couple guys pending decommit etc but if you look at average player rankings recruiting is trending up.

They need a couple more high end guys
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-12-04 11:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In this class and every class.

I don't like a class with 0 LB's(by design) and only 2 OL.

That is 2 players for 8 positions....uh oh.

It is not like ND is brimming with AA talent in the underclassmen ranks at either LB or OL either.

And our DB recruiting stinks. Especially CB.

The QB recruit is pedestrian at best. The elite schools really outdo ND here on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong--there are some excellent players and additions to the class---just too many shortcomings if a NC is the real goal and objective.

ND isn't gaining any ground on the blue bloods, that's for sure.

This ND Recruiting tweet on the 2020 class just came out.
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-04 15:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s an account run by Maven. Not official ND.

I have thoughts but I shall simply hold my breath and cross my fingers.

Secondary recruiting is a major concern.
by revressbo  (2019-12-04 15:49:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CB could be really bad. Hamilton is a stud, but other than him, it’s a whole lot of question marks (including Pryor) in the back 4 heading into next year.

It’s nice to finally have a couple of elite recruits at offensive skill positions. I don’t know when (if ever) that’s happened under BK. That said, there are holes in this class.

My concern is actually defense in general.
by athlete37  (2019-12-04 18:16:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the 2020 defensive recruiting matched the offensive recruiting it would be a top 3 class I think

The offensive recruiting for the 2021 class is elite as well. Not a single defensive player in the top 160 this year though

Pryor needs to come up huge and I think he will. Kyle needs
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-04 16:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to never get sick or hurt or have anything remotely bad happen to him. Please and thank you.

Oof.
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-04 11:59:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This board is not password-protected. Its content is perused and copied into a patchwork quilt every week by another site, and that weekly post is tweeted all over the place.

Our 2020 QB commit has offers from Bama, Auburn, and Baylor. Seems like a great guy. We would like him to come here.

Agreed. This and the suggestion that the '19 schedule was
by Irish Tool  (2019-12-04 13:27:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the worst ND SOS ever were not hinged with reality. The point about recruiting holes, especially on the OL, is fair. Sometimes people go too far when trying to rail on BK and the state of the program.

The board consensus is that BK 2.0 isn't good enough and ND can do better. This is in contrast with many fanpersons. But it doesn't mean ND is anywhere close to recent low points at the end of the last two coaches' tenures.

Not to mention ND can recruit at that level.
by revressbo  (2019-12-04 10:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly himself got a top-5 class in 2013. Weis had the #2 class in 2008. (Ironically both of those were before any Jumbotron/field turf/sweet indoor practice facility, which I was told would help recruiting, whether directly or indirectly. None of those seem to have made a difference in that department at all.)

Being “unable to recruit” is just an untrue excuse for our lack of elite play on the field. Meyer would have a top-5 class every year, which means there is no ND “ceiling” (i.e., due to location, academics, etc.) except a ceiling that is based on who the head coach is.

With a decent OLine coach and OC, this 2019 team is in the
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-04 10:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playoffs. The 2018 team would not have been embarrassed in the Cotton Bowl.

I know you don’t hold an intent to do so, but posts about our disappointing recruiting are a hair’s breadth from saying our players aren’t good enough and that hurts my heart.

Oh, and a DB coach that tells his guys to turn their &*^$#@ heads around would be appreciated.

If a NC is the goal---our players aren't good enough
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-12-04 11:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the harsh reality.

It's up to the coaches to change that and they have failed to do so.

It is disturbing that Kelly's recruiting has failed to give ND a roster with a legit chance to compete for a NC. And his recruiting seems to be getting worse--not better.

We have seen his ceiling as both a coach and recruiter.

It’ll be interesting to see the 2021 class.
by revressbo  (2019-12-04 11:05:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s very highly-ranked now, but... it also has an abnormal number of commits compared to other programs at this stage. We will see where it ends up a year from now.

Many of our top, non-committed priorities are
by irish2x  (2019-12-04 11:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beginning to look elsewhere it seems. Our best recruits may already be committed.

It's on to the 3-stars..... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-12-04 15:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The # of false starts were mind numbing. All coaching. *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2019-12-04 10:55:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post