His suggested approach was de facto 70's approach...
by Scoop80 (2019-12-05 14:23:48)
Edited on 2019-12-05 14:25:07

In reply to: I don't agree with that philosophy  posted by El Kabong

In '71, players voted against a Gator bid v. PSU. '75 team voted against a Cotton bid--Devine's unpopularity w/ Parseghian vets had a lot to do w/ it. There were campus rumors of a minor bowl bid (Astro-Bluebonnet?) declined in '79, but I never heard firm confirmation either way.

Prior to '83 Liberty, ND played in 8 majors and 1 near-major ('76 Gator v. PSU). IIRC, there were a couple of failed team votes before they finally got the seniors to vote to accept that Liberty bid. Half the reason why that bid was pushed was in hopes that it would somehow revive Faust's fortunes.

I'm not sure where I would draw the line--definitely above RU in the Pinstripe, but I'm not sure beyond that. I will recall snickering at the '79 PU game when I saw them bragging about their win in the Peach the preceding year. Such bowls were beneath ND then.

Reality is that ND already lost once in a bowl that Wayne Huizenga invented 2 years after ND's last NC season in an attempt to get the OB to move to his stadium, and ND is likely headed there again this year. That's why the crowing about 3 straight 10 win seasons is offensive.