We could be ready to fire Kelly's successor by now.
by Otter (2019-12-06 10:16:50)
Edited on 2019-12-06 10:18:48

If Kelly had been fired in 2016, as he certainly should have been, his successor would be in year 3 at this time.

The successor would either be a home run, a dud or be in "the jury's still out" phase and require another year or two.

But we'd be out of purgatory.

That's what I offer for the "Who would come here? Who would we get?" crowd. There's a benefit to making a change that might fail as soon as you know you don't have a home run hire.

Michigan is in the wilderness, but at least they're churning through options, looking for the right one. Since Kelly was hired they've fired Rich Rod. They hired Brady Hoke, quickly figured out he wasn't the guy and fired him. Then they hired Harbaugh. Now they have enough data to make an informed decision on him.

I'll take the bumps and bruises along the way because I believe a coach is out there who can make this program a champion.

I have no idea if PJ Fleck could be successful at Notre Dame, but if we'd hired him in 2017 we'd have three years of data. And we could fire his ass and move on to Matt Rhule or Chryst or whomever.

I was 20 when ND won its last National Championship. It never occurred to me I'd go 30 years without one. I'm getting older by the day. Giving Brian Kelly a decade of ND football has been devastating.

Replies: