Michigan stated today no football season w/o on campus class
by Frank Drebin (2020-05-24 16:10:00)
Edited on 2020-05-24 16:16:52

Still can’t see how this football season will happen. Midwest and South are seeing new cases. New York, although improving, is still having new cases every day. How can schools open dorms and risk students lives just so football can played? The answer - they can’t

University attorneys should be concerned about potential lawsuits stemming from not providing a safe environment for fans and students alike

Michigan has been playing football without class for over...
by Marine Domer  (2020-05-25 23:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100 years. Why the concern now?

Nice *
by ferndog  (2020-05-27 15:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha! *
by Domer84  (2020-05-27 13:37:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank, what is your criteria for having students on campus?
by jbrown_9999  (2020-05-25 13:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

zero cases of Covid-19?

You asked "How can schools open dorms and risk students lives just so football can played?"

Do you really think that having a football season is the only reason that a school like Michigan might decide to allow students on campus? Given that their annual operating budget is about $2.3 billion and football is probably at best a $100 to $150 million revenue stream, I am not sure that football is the only thing factoring into their decision.

If "seeing new cases" is the standard for opening thing up
by pmoose  (2020-05-25 11:01:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then we are never opening. I don't know what the metric should be to determine when it is safe to have a sport like football, but I know it shouldn't be simply "seeing new cases."

New cases in Michigan have been on the decline since the second week of April. Daily deaths have been on the decline since the last week of April.

Let's see what the trends look like in a month or so and go from there.

For some in this country, we should never leave
by 84david  (2020-05-27 08:22:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our houses again until we are certain nobody will ever be sick again for any reason.

Has an Iron Curtain descended upon the state of Michigan? *
by BIG MAC  (2020-05-25 11:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cue the Chicken Dance music! *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-24 19:53:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like you a lot more
by ND76  (2020-05-24 18:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you are acting funny. Lighten up Francis. It’s way too early. Let’s see how things play out.

Oh no! CFB without Michigan is like Goodfellas without
by 1NDGal  (2020-05-24 17:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Morrie the drycleaner.

How will we go on?

Morrie was the wig guy.
by Johnnysalami  (2020-05-24 23:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ya dunsky!

Hey JohnnySalami, I 'member dose spots
by RJD  (2020-05-27 16:15:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The commercials would come on late at night, usually after a Yankee or Met game.

The state or the school? *
by gozer  (2020-05-24 17:40:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The team with the ugly helmets. *
by Dan93  (2020-05-25 09:20:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, the team that copied Princeton's helmets... *
by hudsonvalleyirish  (2020-05-25 13:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's see what happens
by jt  (2020-05-24 17:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

does the president of that school make more than the football coach?

By the way, I love how you note the one voice that agrees with your position and ignore the many others that disagree (including basically the NCAA, which is allowing on campus practices). Bravo.

Here's the best way of looking at this now, IMO--just like two weeks ago, nobody really fucking knows, but even with that said, it sure LOOKS as if teams are getting ready to play.

Gov Witmer needs a security detail if this happens
by vermin05  (2020-05-24 16:36:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She will have taken away her yokel’s freedom, rights and now football. They will be out for blood, they have nothing left to live for.

Thoughts on everyday Michiganders like myself? *
by Johnnysalami  (2020-05-24 23:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Witmer is drunk
by BIG MAC  (2020-05-24 17:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On power. She hates football players because they wouldn't date her in high school. Season cancelled.

They’re just trying to avoid losing to Ohio State. *
by tdiddy07  (2020-05-24 16:19:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And losing potential class action wrongful death lawsuits *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-05-24 16:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per CDC Data
by mustbenice  (2020-05-26 14:31:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

88 total deaths under the age of 25 in the US through May 20, 2020. Just adding actual data to the discussion.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

This data does not detail any pre-existing conditions for this group. While any premature death is unfortunate, death it is a reality for each and every living person in the country. I wouldn't say football this year is a "Death Sentence".

Let me help you out with this, Frank
by jt  (2020-05-24 17:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At this point in time I think it's still safe to say that nobody really knows for sure how things are going to shake down in the fall. It's possible that some schools start, some start later, some don't start at all, etc. Right now we're still learning things on a daily basis. Some places might be able to have fans, some might not, some might only be able to have limited numbers of people, etc. Again, it's a process.

With all of that said, I can say that it is pretty clear that teams and schools are certainly getting ready to play and preparing to play. We would likely have to have some serious setbacks for there to be no games whatsoever. States like CA have already backed down on saying that there would be no professional sports (once AZ and FL stepped in and said that teams were welcome to use their facilities and the states realized how much they would lose in income tax) and we've already seen the NCAA back down a bit.

Again, there could be substantial setbacks (and I certainly hope that isn't the case) and it would almost certainly not be business as usual. But it would be a major upset at this point in time if there is "no season" whether you can "see it" or not.