Decision on Navy game expected next week per Irish Times (link)
by IndyDave (2020-05-26 12:08:17)

my decision has already been made.
by 84david  (2020-05-27 21:47:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ain’t watching, just like last year and the year before.

Thanks for sharing! *
by ndfamily  (2020-05-28 05:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two data points
by fortune_smith  (2020-05-27 05:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt many NDNers expect this game to go ahead in Dublin as scheduled, but here are two somewhat relevant data points:

1. Top division Irish rugby clubs participate in something called the Pro14, alongside clubs from Wales, Scotland, Italy and South Africa. For these countries, this is the equivalent of English premiership rugby, which is rugby’s closest equivalent to the English Premier League (futbol). The Pro14 is now planning to resume play on August 22, including a doubleheader featuring the league’s four Irish sides at the Aviva Stadium .... but contested behind closed doors.

Hard to see a fully-public event at the same venue only a week later. And, of course, it’s hard to see any rationale for playing this game in Dublin if fans aren’t able to attend.

2. Kentucky and Michigan were scheduled to play a basketball game in London this December as part of a Hall of Fame classic doubleheader also involving Marist and UMBC. Last week, organizers pushed the event out two years to December 2022.

My best guess is that the game will be moved to Annapolis, as what would be the point of renting an NFL venue if there’s uncertainty about the extent to which fans will be able to attend. I wouldn’t be surprised if the game is pushed back a week into the September 5 mutual open date.

FedEx Field would be available that weekend.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-27 12:18:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ravens and Eagles have exhibition games either on 08/27 or 08/30 (can't remember which is which). MetLife is also not available that weekend.

If they are doing social distancing at Navy's home stadium, you're going to have a really small crowd, but maybe that's what they want.

If you’ve ever tried to park at Navy Stadium, pray for...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-27 19:53:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...a small crowd.

You get 10,000 max in the stadium.
by domer4  (2020-05-27 23:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Start with the 4000 midshipmen - you're down to 6,000 max of other people who drove.

I think that would be fine.

I suppose the game could also be moved to Mon, Aug 31
by fortune_smith  (2020-05-27 14:43:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For a prime Monday night slot.

I love the non-update update *
by pmac98  (2020-05-26 13:52:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully they'll update us if they change the update date. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-26 14:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I signed up for future non updates *
by drmurray  (2020-05-27 07:12:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that a subscription service? If so, what is the rate? *
by PWK2  (2020-05-27 12:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still sifting through backlog of past future non-updates *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-05-27 10:46:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can report with certainty that you might have missed a few *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-27 12:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would you please update us on the missed updates?
by SWPaDem  (2020-05-27 13:45:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If an update is provided in a forest and no one is around to acknowledge it, is it a non-update?

I could do that, for a fee. No updates costs a bit more. (link)
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-27 18:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The delay in making this decision..
by TWO  (2020-05-26 12:57:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably has a lot to do with contracts and who is liable if the game isn't played. I imagine the Irish organizers hate to give up on the game, it's bound to be a big time cash generator for Dublin with all the American tourist's, filling up hotels, restaurants, bars, buying stuff, etc.

It has to do
by HTownND  (2020-05-27 09:48:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With them not wanting to issue refunds and give money back.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It is specifically about whether ND/Navy is the party
by bleedsgreen04  (2020-05-27 11:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cancelling, or whether it is the (actual) Irish coordinators cancelling this event, nothing more, nothing less.

Issuing refunds and giving money back is a separate issue entirely, but one that might wind up depending on how the above plays out.

Dublin and/or Notre Dame (and Navy to a lesser extent) don't want to be responsible for picking up the entire tab on the mess, so now it's become a game of chicken to see who will blink first.

I'm sure that the longer this goes on, the more likely the two parties are to come to an actual agreement.

Given how ND is handling everything
by HTownND  (2020-05-27 11:45:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm very comfortable they are holding out as long as possible so as not to issue refunds. It's been their MO with everything they've postponed, etc.

Oh, I know you gave us a lot of money for those George Strait tickets. How about we just postpone it, keep that money for the year, and the tickets will be good next year. Oh wait, you want a refund? OK, well we will give you your money back, but you can't have these seats next year.

Notre Dame's money grubbing has been laid bare for all to see by this. It's unseemly.

If they had an ounce of decency among the leadership, they'd issue refunds, and still give everyone the option to buy back in, if things actually take place. That's not their MO though. If the Navy game is rescheduled/postponed, they will absolutely push to just have the money paid be "good" for that game next year or in a couple of years. Which is utter bullshit. If you do ask for a refund, they will quickly remind you, you'll be "out" for that next game, as if there is some FOMO that's going to make you change your mind and let them keep your money for some long amount of time.

Given how electronic everything is, there is no reason they can't issue full refunds, then ramp back up once they know what is actually going on. But that's not the ND way. They have made it clear, they want to hang onto that cash for as long as possible. This is basically the ticket lottery on steroids.

The ND ticket lottery today is a lot less money grubbing
by domer4  (2020-05-27 20:12:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than previously.

Previously you mailed in a check in April or so (which was cashed and could earn interest in the 5-10% range) and if you didn't win, you got the money back (less the "shipping and handling") in August perhaps on an ND check?

It took years (YEARS!) for ND to discover credit cards and realize they could just charge the card after you won. It was unbelievable how long they delayed that process.

May mean a make-up game in Ireland in the future *
by jbrown_9999  (2020-05-26 15:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be confirmed after Jack's make-up sex with Anthony Travel *
by Jvan  (2020-05-26 21:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bring out the Gimp *
by TCIrish03  (2020-05-27 09:07:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does that have anything to do with The Flying Wedge?
by SWPaDem  (2020-05-27 07:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put that at the top of my list of things not to watch.

Lanyard replaced with a Notre Dame commemorative mask. * *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-26 22:46:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post