Two data points
by fortune_smith (2020-05-27 05:00:56)
Edited on 2020-05-27 05:29:59

In reply to: Decision on Navy game expected next week per Irish Times (link)  posted by IndyDave

I doubt many NDNers expect this game to go ahead in Dublin as scheduled, but here are two somewhat relevant data points:

1. Top division Irish rugby clubs participate in something called the Pro14, alongside clubs from Wales, Scotland, Italy and South Africa. For these countries, this is the equivalent of English premiership rugby, which is rugby’s closest equivalent to the English Premier League (futbol). The Pro14 is now planning to resume play on August 22, including a doubleheader featuring the league’s four Irish sides at the Aviva Stadium .... but contested behind closed doors.

Hard to see a fully-public event at the same venue only a week later. And, of course, it’s hard to see any rationale for playing this game in Dublin if fans aren’t able to attend.

2. Kentucky and Michigan were scheduled to play a basketball game in London this December as part of a Hall of Fame classic doubleheader also involving Marist and UMBC. Last week, organizers pushed the event out two years to December 2022.

My best guess is that the game will be moved to Annapolis, as what would be the point of renting an NFL venue if there’s uncertainty about the extent to which fans will be able to attend. I wouldn’t be surprised if the game is pushed back a week into the September 5 mutual open date.

Replies: