Stanford Grad Transfer Trevor Speights commits to ND
by mhunter123 (2020-05-28 22:04:55)

Pretty highly rated RB out of HS but not a lot of production at Stanford.

he chose ND over Rice, apparently. *
by MrE  (2020-05-29 08:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK is on his annual 3-star recruiting roll. He works so hard *
by Wolfetone  (2020-05-29 11:32:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Decidedly more 4-star than 3-star
by ribs  (2020-05-29 14:40:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per 247 Sports, the last 5 classes (including '21) had/have exactly (2) 5-stars (THIS is a problem, imo), (54) 4-star, and (41) 3-star recruits.

Top 15ish recruiting. Top 15ish program. Not good enough. And even if Fisher gets a fifth star, the trajectory isn't changing. Iowa, Minnesota, North Carolina and Maryland are currently ranked ahead of Notre Dame in the class of '21. And this was going to be the class where Kelly was going to turn the tables. Right.

A little dated and perhaps irrelevant but interesting still
by vairishfan1  (2020-06-03 13:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was reviewing the former 5 star guys we've had and ran into this article from a few years ago on James Aldridge - HS Girls Basketball coach.

"4 star" covers a very broad market of talent * *
by MrE  (2020-05-29 14:53:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by ribs  (2020-05-29 15:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no idea what that means.
by ribs  (2020-05-29 15:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"covers a vary broad market". But I know it doesn't make a 3-star ranking the same as a 4-star ranking. And none of this makes a Kelly a "3 star recruiter"- he's not. It just illustrates that Kelly has not recruited well enough. Period.

Kelly is a 3-star recruiter
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-05-29 13:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of the fanboys talk about how ND recruiting is held back by limitations such as academics,location,culture, etc.

Excuses.

The main thing limiting ND's ability to recruit is the HC.
He is a loser and the top recruits know that.

Makes sense. He’s a 3 star coach. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-05-31 05:43:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And
by Groundhog  (2020-05-29 13:45:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's surrounded by 3-star or worse recruiters.

You might be able to get away with the head coach being below average or less involved if you have a topflight staff, but we know that's not the case.

The guy needs a jet
by Brahms  (2020-05-31 07:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then you're going to see things really take off.

It would be better to be going against Alabama and Clemson
by jbrown_9999  (2020-05-29 11:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rather than Rice in recruiting battles

Another 3 star RB
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-05-29 08:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he will fit right in with the other RB's at ND.

Don't get where you say he was 'highly rated.'
He was rated a 3 star by Rivals,247,and ESPN coming out of HS.

Aside from Tyree, none of ND's RB's would have a prayer of making a 3 or 4 deep rotation at schools like Bama, Clemson,OSU,etc.

Instead of relying on Grad Transfers, ND needs to recruit much better.
RB is a glaring weakness on the roster and doesn't get much better when you add another 3 star to the mix.

He must be an extraordinary pass blocker *
by Maud-Dib  (2020-05-29 11:55:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure there's a "plan"
by MrE  (2020-05-29 09:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just like Clark Lea has a "plan" at LB.

LB is OK
by quasimodo  (2020-05-29 17:21:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we have 10 LB with 2 or more years eligibility left. All 4 frosh LB were red shirted. So I get the rationale of not taking a LB last year especially if numbers were tight. We'll see if it pans out in 3 more years.

RB and CB are the real issues IMHO. Lots of 3* projects.

Quasi

look at the LB depth chart for 2022-2024
by MrE  (2020-05-29 17:31:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Write down the names, and look at their recruiting credentials and current college achievements. Also consider that any 5th year LBs will be of the not-good-enough-to-go-the-NFL-after-their-senior-year ilk, much less junior year.

Lea is recruiting like he is still at Wake Forest or, perhaps, like he is bailing on ND the minute Derek Mason gets fired.

An important addition
by flanner73  (2020-05-29 02:49:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just a hunch that this grad transfer might prove to be the best one this coming season. Not sold on Jafar as the go-to back and Tyree just a frosh. Speights had some injury issues and Stanford has been pretty mediocre for a couple of years. Better o-line for sure to run behind.

I agree... RB is a glaring weakness
by LeLuni  (2020-05-29 12:54:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact that Jafar even played this year is an indicator that we're short on talent. I think he has Procise-like physical ability, but he's such a disappointing player out there - so tentative and scared.

I do really like C'bo's reckless abandon, but he's very undersized and not quick enough to make up for it. Jahmir looks serviceable, but hasn't flashed much beyond what I would expect from a second-stringer.

I don't think Tyree will be ready, so it's Speights' time. I think he'll start on day one and will remind us all of Dexter Williams.

Great point re offensive line. *
by NDTwice  (2020-05-29 11:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All are welcome. The more competition, the better. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-28 22:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Welcome to ND...eventually...maybe *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-05-28 22:12:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post