Even early in the Kelly era, it was tough getting a ticket
by SWPaDem (2020-06-28 08:11:51)
Edited on 2020-06-28 08:30:39

In reply to: Was Crossroads really a debacle?  posted by Tex Francisco

for a meaningful game. But then personal seat licenses (or whatever ND wants to call these things) along with the price of the average individual game ticket exploded to the point that many decades-long season ticket holders and lottery participants just said no in a manner Nancy Reagan would have been most proud.

So why did PSLs and average ticket prices go so high? The cynic in me says we're not bringing in enough money to pay for Crossroads; I don't think the naming rights for the three big rectangles bolted to the big oval even added up to $100 million out of the total price tag of $500 million for Crossroads, so where was the rest of the money supposed to come from to pay for it all? I think ND bit off a lot more than they could chew with this Johnny-come-lately football stadium accouterments concept that was already starting to be out-of-fashion by the time ND decided to jump on board.

And then Jenkins agonizes over how they are to pay for it all with ND expected to lose $100 million over the next year - as a result of the pandemic. (I guess Under Armour dividends aren't cutting it.) But Heaven forbid he touch the precious endowment.

Perhaps debacle is the wrong word to describe Crossroads. White elephant might be more like it. At least Joe Walsh had accountants to pay for it all.

Life's been good to me - so far.