RIP Beth Holtz *
by SB Jimbo (2020-06-30 22:06:46)

This user did not provide content for this post

What a battler
by Cheg80  (2020-07-02 10:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was diagnosed with throat cancer some 25 years ago and endured 83 radiation treatments in the interim.

That was one brave, tough lady.

Lou would say that after how she battled cancer he no longer
by HennaOrNo  (2020-07-02 15:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prays for her but to her.

So very sorry for your loss Coach. *
by other_guy  (2020-07-02 10:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP. Our family is praying for theirs.
by skeptic  (2020-07-02 08:56:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks to all for the quotes and stories that remind me of why I have always so admired Lou.

My favorite Lou quote
by JC_90_94  (2020-07-01 19:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The most important thing a father can do is to make sure how much his children know that he loves their mother."

No doubt Lou Holtz lived this.

May she rest in peace.

Two of Lou's Stories about Beth
by zaggie  (2020-07-02 11:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou had lost an early assistant coaching job and decided to make a bucket list including meeting the Pope and winning a national championship. He proudly showed the list to Beth who said you forgot one. Get a job.

Beth was telling Lou about his shortcomings as a husband. Lou replied that if he was a better husband he could have got a better wife.

It's actually from Hesburgh.
by Jurassic  (2020-07-02 09:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

Hung it on the wall in the delivery room for all my children.

I heard Bishop Sheen say that on TV in the early fifties. *
by LeahyGold  (2020-07-05 09:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was originally Sheen
by ndtnguy  (2020-07-06 10:22:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I couldn't confirm that on the internet in the 2 minutes I was willing to devote to looking.

Thank you. . .
by JC_90_94  (2020-07-02 20:45:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never knew that Fr. Hesburgh was the source of the quote. Lou delivered the line at his speech at my 20 year reunion as he closed out his talk and it always stuck with me.

I agree.
by mkovac  (2020-07-02 00:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping this is the quote you would post.

Seeing that this is what you mentioned makes me feel like I just opened the gift I wanted for Christmas.

Merry Christmas Mike *
by JC_90_94  (2020-07-02 19:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Et cum spiritu tuo *
by mkovac  (2020-07-03 16:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he also said another fine comment about mothers
by irishrock  (2020-07-01 20:51:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A man's most prized possession is his mother.

Prayers for Lou and his family. *
by Irish72  (2020-07-01 13:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers for Coach and the rest of the family. *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-07-01 13:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prayers
by Tbone  (2020-07-01 12:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For Lou and his family.

Lou Holtz spoke to our company one time
by irishrock  (2020-07-01 11:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was a magnificent speech...just outstanding all the way through. He was funny, inspiring, gracious...exactly what you thought he'd be.

But at 8:00 on the dot he stopped in the middle of his speech. He said that his wife and him sometimes have separation because of his work and such, but that at 9:00 (est) they both stop and think of each other for a moment and say a prayer for the other person.

Just thought I'd share a neat story. At the end of the day, all we have are our families.

Prayers for the Holtz family. RIP *
by Cliff Claven  (2020-07-01 08:50:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m so sorry to hear this
by acrossdmiddle  (2020-07-01 08:26:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always remember the way Lou talked about her and what she meant to him and his family. I’m sure they’re all devastated. RIP indeed.

Very sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-06-30 22:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh my. I hope we can give her a funeral. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-06-30 22:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post