That’s pretty hard
by UpperEastSideIrish (2020-07-17 12:10:34)

In reply to: The bottom line  posted by BIG MAC

probably impossible.

We’ve tried threading the needle, allowing bars to be open and limiting seating in restaurants. We’ve slowly opened churches and hair salons.

It ain’t working. Either you pull and NYC and lock people down totally, or you see spread. Or so it seems.

Btw, we’re starting to see an uptick among young people in NYC. Please God we don’t have any more issues.

Half my family is in the restaurant industry...
by NavyJoe  (2020-07-17 12:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I empathize with the plight of bar workers, but if we are being 100% honest with ourselves, we should admit that bars should have been among the last businesses that opened up fully.

Alcohol + a business model that cannot work with social distancing in place + a demographic that largely views itself as invincible = a poor containment strategy.

Universities are trying to thread that needle ...
by NDFanSince81  (2020-07-17 12:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Universities making the decision to open up this Fall, like ND, will be a interesting experiment. They're making the gamble that disciplined use of social distancing, testing, contact tracing will be enough to avoid the worst consequences of this virus. What they're trying to implement is something short of total lock down, but much more controlled than the phased reopening in many states.

We'll see. Frankly, I'm worried for ND. Given the high density of the dorms and the almost certain super-spreading events off-campus, I just don't see how there is much hope for success. All it will take is one keg party followed by spread among faculty, staff, or religious and its over for the rest of the semester.

The key is whether the social distancing they can actually enforce is sufficient to counter the early asymptomatic spread of this disease. The experiment starts soon and may provide some type of answer to your question.