Navy game in play
by TWO (2020-08-01 10:46:43)

The AAC has said that they will stick with 8 conference games, leaving it up to the members as to how many non conference games they play. This will allow Navy to come to South Bend and play Army as well.

not really. *
by 84david  (2020-08-03 08:58:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ugh, wasted practice time for the option.
by wooderson  (2020-08-02 10:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can we drop these guys already?

Some might say this is inconsequential and irrelevant;
by cmhirish  (2020-08-03 18:59:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in fact, it's the coaches' job and a part of the challenge of the game that the players enjoy.

30+ years ago, my HS coaches adjusted practice every week based on what that week's opponent did. There was no such thing as a spread at the time, but there were pass-heavy pro set style teams, power-i teams, triple option teams; even those that favored the enigmatic and transcendental veer.

We were just snot-nosed, know-nothing, dumb-ass kids; but damned if the coaches didn't have us prepped every week for what was coming at us. Well enough to secure one state title and one state runner-up, anyhow.

Agreed. I despise this game every year. *
by Tex Francisco  (2020-08-02 13:39:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wouldn't playing in Annapolis violate the ACC protocol? *
by NDFanSince81  (2020-08-01 12:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's an alternative idea...
by Irisharab  (2020-08-01 15:22:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My apologies if someone else already suggested something along these lines:

ND is traveling to Pennsylvania this season to play Pitt (presumably at Heinz Field).

Theoretically, under this ACC protocol for non-conference games, if Pitt wanted to play Navy, they could play Navy anywhere in Pennsylvania. That would include Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

If Pitt could theoretically play Navy in Philly, and ND is traveling to Pennsylvania already to play Pitt, I don't see the logic of why ND can't make a second trip to Pennsylvania to play Navy in Philly.

There is no logic involved.
by 01momanor  (2020-08-01 19:52:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin can’t play ND at Lambeau or south bend. But they can travel to Maryland.

It's not about travel
by weirdo0521  (2020-08-01 22:21:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's about knowing that the members of your conference will abide by the same conditions that you do per agreement.

ACC can shove its protocol. ND should go to Annapolis, bring
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 14:49:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Band, and do this thing up right.

Both teams are clean, getting on a plane to BWI is no different than a plan to Boston, and this is the first time the game will be played in Annapolis.

It’s a non-ACC game, so marching bands can play.

The Navy game feels particularly important this crazy year, and the ACC needs to get over itself.

Why is it particularly important this year?
by TripleDomer  (2020-08-02 22:03:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope this season starts the removal of Navy‘s annual appearance on ND’s schedule. I could accept playing them once or twice a decade on ND’s terms.

The White House is a cancer, Congress is a Thunderdome,
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-03 07:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the Navy is still worth celebrating.

I know this isn’t the Political Board, but this is my answer to your question.

Also it feels grounding to keep one NDFB tradition alive.

ND plays Navy to celebrate them?
by TripleDomer  (2020-08-03 20:09:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I appreciate the response, but I disagree. I think the benefit to ND from the series is having a Top 50 (maybe fringe Top 25) opponent willing to play a late Fall game in South Bend and give ND a road game with greater than 50% of the crowd in a handful of metro areas with significant ND alumni populations. I realize that your proximity to the Naval Academy may cause you to think otherwise, but I doubt I am alone in thinking that the coach, team, and, to some extent, the institution are no more praiseworthy than ND's other foes.

I'd be willing to give up the benefit I perceive in exchange for a couple home-and-home series with Tier 2 opponents.

Yes, in big enough part to justify telling the ACC to grant
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-04 07:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an exception to its meaningless, arbitrary restriction.

We should've dropped Navy years ago.
by NDCuse  (2020-08-01 22:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game is a lose-lose-lose. Navy is not a tomato can but the media, polls, and selection committee all treat them as such. getting We waste a week preparing for an offense no other opponent runs and our DL has to worry about knee-capped. Our "debt" to was repaid long ago.

I doubt there'll be a season this fall but we shouldn't go out of our way to play the Navy game. For what?

We should abide with whatever agreement we have made.
by Piertravlr  (2020-08-01 18:44:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we have agreed to abide with the ACC rules for one year, we should do just that and not immediately ask for special treatment. Not honoring our commitments reflects badly on the University.

One can argue we should not have agreed to the ACC deal in the first place, but that is a different issue.

And switching home games with Navy makes no sense given the financial implications, particularly since Navy is owned by an entity that literally can print money.

Since we are already losing the USC series this year (which is a high profile quality series), taking a break from Navy for one year doesn't really strike me as a tragedy.

We have a commitment to Navy as well. And apparently Coach
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 20:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

N. didn’t even know ND was negotiating this ACC arrangement and putting the game in peril.

The SEC just cancelled all OOC games. The ACC thus has lost a bunch of games. Surely they will want to replace them. Lifting this arbitrary “ACC States Only” restriction is in their interests now.

If we are going to renege, let's shoot for USC.
by Piertravlr  (2020-08-01 20:44:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is a better rivalry.

USC, Stanford and Arkansas had a "commitment" to ND this year, but none of those games are going forward for obvious reasons. All schedules were put in the trash can by Covid, including Navy's. So what Coach N knew or didn't know about how ND's schedule was going to shake out is irrelevant. I am guessing the ACC restriction is health based. If that is their concern, I doubt they will view lifting the restriction in the collective best interests.

If Clemson can live without South Carolina, and Florida State without Florida, ND-Navy is unlikely to be considered a must have. The reason that the ACC admitted ND on a one year basis is due to the OOC game cancellations you mentioned. Those cancellations were a known issue when the OOC restriction we are discussing was put in place.

Also, from a health standpoint, ND should travel as little as possible and have that non-conference game at home. If that is the case, for financial reasons, it will need to be against an opponent who doesn't get a return date.

The cases are not similar. As an independent, our game with
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 20:54:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Navy stands. And Navy doesn’t want to cancel it. The ACC stated that all participants can have one OOC game. OK, well, this would be our “OOC” game.

USC is a Pac12 member and that decision was handed down to them from on high weeks ago.

The ND-Navy game was not “put in a trash can.”

The contractual fiction of what is an “ACC state” — suddenly Indiana is an ACC state, that’s fun — should not be used as a means to cancel a game that Navy very much wants to host.

Also, FUSC.

Health-based precautions are valid. But having ND travel to Annapolis as the first game of the year cannot reasonably be viewed as a bigger health risk than Clemson travelling to Florida State.

Our schedule is shit. We should try to play the most
by ACross  (2020-08-03 11:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comelling team possible. That team is not Navy. I think their coach is a low rent prick who encourages their players to play dirty. I think their program has a culture that encourages their players to injure our players, in an "anything it takes to win" analogue for war as a rationalization for ruining opponents' futures.

So, no, we shouldn't lift a finger for Navy just because you want a nice afternoon in Annapolis.

Why must your every post end with an ad hominem? As to
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-04 07:47:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

injuries, it has been several years since a player had a suspicious injury in the Navy game.

That WWE Death Drop on RJ Blanton in ND Stadium seemed to wake some people up.

The last such injury I can recall is Ian Williams getting his knee trashed against Air Force.

But travel is a bigger risk for ND than staying home.
by Piertravlr  (2020-08-01 21:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And my focus is on ND.

And the cases are similar. We are in the ACC this year and not an independent. The ACC has a rule that you advocate we ignore. I believe that failing to keep a commitment reflects poorly on the University, and is foolish to boot since it increases ND's costs and health risks.

“We are in the ACC this year and not an independent.” Eesh.
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 21:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But even accepting that language, I can’t agree that travelling to Annapolis imperils our team.

Second This, particularly the last sentence *
by ChestnutND  (2020-08-01 14:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thirded-especially Re: the Band...the Band needs to march! * *
by caber  (2020-08-01 15:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, but you'd think Navy would agree to flip
by TWO  (2020-08-01 13:11:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the game to South Bend and be the home team next year if they want to keep the series going, which I think they do.

ND keen for an empty-stadium home game vs full-stadium ‘21 ?
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-01 13:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Presumably there’s either no or negligible game-day revenue for a 2020 home game vs Navy. What do you think game day revenue is for a normal home game vs Navy? $6 mil? $8 mil? $10 mil? How many tickets do we actually sell to that game? 60k? 65k? Even more (I don’t know the ticketing arrangement for students, faculty and staff)? What’s the average price for a sold ticket? $100? $125? And then there’s parking, concessions, swag and so on.

I can’t imagine ND would be keen to play Navy at home this year in lieu of doing so next year.

As it is, Mike Brey is talking about potentially having to bus to Kentucky for a basketball game due to athletic budget pressures.

If pressures are impacting relatively nominal transportation costs like getting a small team to a neighboring state, then I can’t imagine the University will willingly relinquish home football games that may be worth close to $10 million in revenue, perhaps even more.

It's probably the path of least resistance
by fontoknow  (2020-08-01 14:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For securing an 11 game. I doubt it is more costly than playing some #maction in front of an empty stadium.

I see two paths to ND-Navy this year
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-01 14:58:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either we get a waiver from the ACC and go to Annapolis or they decide to come to ND on a modest-cost arrangement to ND. We now both seem to be open on Sept 12, so that’s a possible date.

Playing in Indy, as previously suggested, works within the ACC guidelines and appears compatible with historic Navy home game format, but makes no sense with a limited crowd, if any.

I don’t see ND giving up a future home game to get Navy to come to ND this season. Doesn’t make financial sense, and the financial considerations have become acute. But, hey, maybe we will.

The MACtion comparison doesn’t really carry here because we don’t play at their places.

I don't think that it makes sense to start the season 9-12
by jt  (2020-08-02 01:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it seems like most conferences are looking at 9-26 or later, and I think that they're wise to do so; the more time we give, the more we can prepare and get proper protocols in place, etc.

I do not have a strong opinion on the “right” start date
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-02 09:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and am skeptical there should even be one.

The commentary here has been more focused on playing Navy within the ACC guidelines, which could still evolve to a later start date, elimination of the OOC game or reintroduction of out-of-state OOC travel. ND will have been on-campus for 5-6 weeks, so Sept 12 should work for ND. Other schools are starting later, some much later.

If we don’t play Navy early, the likelihood will fall sharply, as it will be challenging to align dates given our 10 ACC games and their 8 AAC + Army + probably AFA. Incidentally, are we a higher-priority opponent for them than AFA? Don’t know.

I suspect it’s more likely that we play WMU than Navy. WMU is only 75 miles away, probably still wants to come even for sharply-reduced economics if the MAC’s paradigm allows and sits within the ACC guidelines. Or maybe we play somebody altogether different because ACC game dates create a schedule clash.

I do not think it will be difficult to find an 11th game for September given all the cancellations. Any MAC schools whose dates align would probably like to come. And there would be others. “Buy-game” economics will have plummeted with so many of the largest FBS programs out of the market and amid altered game-day economics. The traditional recipients will need the money more than ever.

Incidentally, I also do not think we should be lobbying the ACC for a scheduling waiver to be able to go to Annapolis in the immediate aftermath of having signed up for the deal announced this past Wednesday. I agree with Piertravir that makes us look bad and, candidly, the ACC should laugh at us if we press the topic so soon.

It makes financial sense from the ACC's standpoint
by tf86  (2020-08-01 16:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember, the NBC deal is being included within the ACC revenue this season. NBC will pay more for a 6-game package than for a 5-game package. In all honesty, I think that's at least part of the rationale for the +1 rule for the entire conference.

I’d give them a chunk of the CBS money if they let us play
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-01 20:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Annapolis as presently scheduled.

Fair is fair.

How much money do we actually get from CBS
by tf86  (2020-08-02 15:13:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When we play an "away" game against Navy? Yes, I know this year is different, but the question still stands.

This year has to be seen as a one off
by fontoknow  (2020-08-01 15:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think we will have a ton of possible opponents for the 11 game.

If we want to play that game, we are going to give up something.

Maybe NAVY would just play us for few million dollars without any consideration next year.

Agree, this year is really about
by TWO  (2020-08-01 16:33:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

money aside, do Navy and Notre Dame want to play.

Of course ND could ask for an exception from the ACC, but I doubt if they would grant it as it would open the door for others to ask for the same treatment.

“Money Aside” is the Easter Bunny’s cousin *
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-01 18:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FWIW, if we don't play Navy but get to the ACC title game,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-08-01 15:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we'll still have 11 games before any bowl games. I agree on the one-off view. These are very unusual times.

Edit: subject changed to fix spelling.

The right price for getting Navy to come is a modest price
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-01 15:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see covering Navy’s costs to come to South Bend and maybe paying them another quarter-to-half million on top of that.

I can’t see paying multiple millions to get Navy to come in lieu of giving up a future home game. As it is, most of the rest of the P5 will only be playing ten games, so an 11th game this season shouldn’t be regarded as an entitlement. We certainly shouldn’t spend several million dollars to obtain an 11th game.

Giving up a ‘21 home game to get Navy to come to Rock’s House this year wouldn’t be terribly different to having Toledo — hey, it’s a short drive — offer to come play in our empty stadium this year in exchange for moving our home game next year to the Glass Bowl or Cleveland. We wouldn’t even consider that. Of course, there’s far more history to the Navy series .....

I believe that some of the P5 conferences have given up their home-weighted non-conference schedules so willingly more because they don’t want to pay “buy-game” guarantees in empty stadia than out of putting health concerns and consistent protocols first-and-foremost.

This is a Navy home
by FBIRISH  (2020-08-01 12:38:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and very well could be played
in Annapolis.