big sky moves football to spring
by jt (2020-08-07 12:25:28)

that's one of the bigger FCS/1AA conferences and that means that their championship tournament will either be canceled or moved to spring.

So that means 1aa, 2 and 3 are either canceled/moved. I know that the Pac 12 doesn't want to play either; my guess is that as soon as they announce that they won't play the house of cards will come tumbling down and there will have to be an adjustment.

For the record, I do think that the NFL can pull it off, just like MLB and the NBA. They can learn from baseball's mistakes and basically find ways to enforce quarantine rules through a collectively bargained document. You just can't do that for college, and the sheer number of people involved in the University setting makes quarantine a near impossibility.

We had our chance and people fucking refused to adhere to basic rules and wear a damn mask. Now we should push things back instead of rushing in and making things worse.

Pioneer League just canx their season, as well. *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-08-07 17:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MAC may cancel/reschedule. WMU may need to be replaced (link)
by StetsonDan  (2020-08-07 14:02:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Update: MAC canceled fall season *
by StetsonDan  (2020-08-08 10:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BYU available on that date...
by Irisharab  (2020-08-07 14:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had a game on Sept. 19th against Arizona State, which got cancelled when the PAC-12 went conference only.

Would be a real Hobson's choice for BYU
by fortune_smith  (2020-08-07 15:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ACC guidelines effectively dictate an ND home game.

However, popular belief is that ND "owes" BYU a home game. For those who believe this, which certainly seems to include BYU, future schedules suggest we'll be at least a decade overdue delivering that home game from a series that was a 4-for-2 revised down to a 2-for-1 after the ACC alignment was created.

BYU looks like they'll be scrambling for games, so maybe they would agree to come. In so doing, would they be able to negotiate certainty on one or two future games at their place and/or at a neutral site that suits?

in that thread you can see
by jt  (2020-08-07 14:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the basic crux of the dilemma--no leadership from the bigger schools/NCAA.

Nobody wants to be the first. Nobody wants to be the bad guy.

Quite the dearth of leadership we have in this country. Everybody wants to get paid the big bucks, nobody wants to make the hard decisions. I think Ronnie Coleman said something like that once. LIGHT WEIGHT!

I think the MAC schools are stuck financially
by StetsonDan  (2020-08-07 14:55:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. These mid-majors are really stuck right now.

Given the cancellation of most non-conference games, the MAC schools have lost all their BUY games (WMU / ND excluded). I know Kent State was relying on buy games from Alabama, Penn State, and Kentucky. These payouts and the mandatory student fees (charging every student a fee to subsidize the athletics department) are just as important to their budgets as their paltry TV deals.

Now, with no BUY games and reduced student fees (because the enrollment numbers at most of these commuter schools are presumably reduced), the schools are probably better off financially if they cancel than if they just have a conference slate.

That doesn't even get into the fact that the Akrons of the world can't afford to keep testing their student-athletes.

again, if we moved things back a bit
by jt  (2020-08-07 16:04:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the buy games can come back.

The problem is that major college football teams are worried that they will lose their best players as they won't want to play before the NFL draft. Of course, the NFL could help with that by pushing their draft back to June, but they're assholes and don't want to mess with their schedule to help their unpaid minor league system.

The fact that Mark Emmert makes over 3 million
by BottleofRed  (2020-08-07 14:19:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a year is a fucking joke. What exactly has he been doing the past five months?

he's been testifying in front of Congress
by jt  (2020-08-07 14:39:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and coming off as a total selfish asshole.

Without conference games, the PAC12 can do what they want
by fontoknow  (2020-08-07 12:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though with media contracts, the likely have much less flexibility to move to spring than FCS and II and III schools.

The PAC12 is not going to play their season after the bowls
by DakotaDomer  (2020-08-07 12:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or more specifically...after the championship playoffs.

I go back to what I asked below
by jt  (2020-08-07 13:18:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what is the harm in waiting until late Sept to start practice with a goal of starting the season by 11-1? You can play games in Nov and Dec with the playoffs/bowl games in Jan. It would have to be a limited schedule unless you wanted to drag it out but it would still be something.

That would give states time to at least get their numbers where they wanted them to be.

Truthfully, it would allow people to do what they should have been doing in May and June; wear a mask, do the social distancing thing, be safe, etc. There would now be an incentive for people to do it, as they would know that if the numbers don't come down there would not be a season.

This whole thing is so damn silly. We should be getting ready to play but morons had to turn this into a discussion about politics and "don't tell me what to do!" Pathetic.

They should do this and cut schedule to 7 games
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2020-08-07 22:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conferences could play by division and, with a few off weeks, the playoff could take place in January.

No harm at all. *
by Slotts  (2020-08-07 13:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

everything is negotiable
by jt  (2020-08-07 12:41:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty sure that this can be worked out with the networks.

Can you imagine the PR hit if the networks were the ones holding things up? Especially with the NIL discussions going on now and how everyone is basically arguing over whether these kids are professionals or student athletes?