A few thoughts
by garbageplate (2020-08-08 15:31:50)

In reply to: We should not underestimate the risk for even young healthy  posted by IAND75

First, it is a risk that they would be willing to assume. If they want to play, they are old enough to gather information and make their own decisions.

Second, I do not believe that there the risk of contracting COVID will increase significantly, if at all, by playing football. If they play, they'll be on a strict schedule with regular medical care and testing. If not, they'll just be on their own with other students or in their communities where it is just as likely (in my opinion) that they will catch the virus.

I really disagree with this
by bmoreirish  (2020-08-08 18:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These are college kids, not pros. They exist in a sports world where all powerful coaches can lord scholarships and playing time over them if they say they don’t feel safe to play.

Second, how does smashing face to face with another team not increase the risk of contacting the virus?

Valid concerns
by garbageplate  (2020-08-08 19:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On #1, numerous players are already opting out. I think there should be ways to ensure that coaches are not imposing indue influence on the players. The players have more power than ever before, as shown by the many recent ways that players have banded together to seek change.

On #2, I’m assuming strict testing protocols as a prerequisite to playing in a given week. I’m also assuming that the players’ rigorous schedules will limit their ability to engage in other risky extracurricular activities.