My goodness though, what a tremendous opportunity for ND
by jt (2020-08-10 13:18:40)

In reply to: I wonder what Saucy is lobbying for behind the scenes  posted by ACross

that they will likely squander.

An opportunity to lead a change for true amateur athletic, updating NIL rules for athletes while not making them employees, etc.

He'll just shrug his shoulders and go along with the group.

I really think the right call here is to cancel the season
by ACross  (2020-08-10 14:26:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And look ahead to a healthy fall 2021. Preserving all scholarships, without exception, no bullshit Robby Bensoning.

We can deal with the selling of likeness stuff in the not to distant fuure, during the pause. That's a pretty easy call. I don't think the time is ripe or urgent to deal with revenue sharing.

I agree. Deal with the true enemy now and don't
by SUJB9  (2020-08-10 17:53:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

play games with this and try to use it as leverage.

Should on-campus instruction and dorm living be cancelled
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-10 15:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as well?

If not, why not?

Students in dorms share hallways, bathrooms, stairwells.

Let me know when classes go full
by ACross  (2020-08-10 18:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

contact, 1 game a week 5 practice days a week.

if we could have developed additional protections
by jt  (2020-08-10 21:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

such as breathable masks/face guards/etc. that could have been used and minimized contact during practices and contact with coaches, I would think that we would have a leg to stand on here as it relates to playing.

As it is now, the argument seems to be "their risk of dying is low; let them play!" and I don't find that compelling. We're a great country when we put our heads together and figure stuff out. When we take the "don't tread on me/take my stuff/walk on my lawn" stance, we're obstinate as hell and get little done.

But those activities don't involve 10-12 interactions
by SUJB9  (2020-08-10 17:52:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

between large groups of people from different states. Much easier to contain on a confined campus than when you start opening things up to an entire region of the country.

ACC teams are testing regularly, too. They’re more in a
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-10 18:55:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bubble than ND is. I think several ACC schools even have athletic dorms.

If you want fans to stay away from players, that’s very reasonable.

ND players are more at risk by going to class than they are by playing.

What is your basis for that last statement?
by SUJB9  (2020-08-10 19:14:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have you seen the setups they have in the classrooms? They're spacing students out.

I also don't think it's reasonable to assume that the ACC players aren't going to be socializing off-campus, and with teams like Miami there is the possibility of significantly more exposure than would be expected for the ND student body given their location.

The basis is that NDFB is 100 guys that have been ‘bubbled’
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-10 19:42:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since June 30. ACC teams have done about the same.

11000 kids from all over the country just arrived on campus. That’s a bigger risk than 100.

That said, ND has been very careful on this return to campus. 12000 tests, 33 came back positive and those people stayed home.

All of those teams are coming out of their bubbles.
by SUJB9  (2020-08-10 20:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They may have athlete's dorms, but they aren't going to be segregated from the student population the way you are implying.

Does the NCAA alllow athletic dorms now? *
by ACross  (2020-08-10 21:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not technically. But schools get around that rule
by SUJB9  (2020-08-11 07:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by making the housing appear the same as the non-athlete dorms. For Clemson:

"Renovating the housing for football players can be tricky because of NCAA rules prohibiting athletics dorms. But Clemson’s administration quickly maneuvered through all the red tape, working in concert with the university’s department of housing to make upgrades to Lightsey Bridge Apartments that benefit not just football players, and not just athletes in general, but also regular students."

The "North Carolina Corollary", as it were *
by gordonbombay  (2020-08-11 11:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, I bet they will remain in a bubble. Dabo is not going to
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-10 21:35:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

take chances, and I don’t think Miami or FSU were ever that rigorous about players attending class.

I wouldn't put too much money on that bet.
by SUJB9  (2020-08-11 07:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson requires at least the freshman to stay on campus. And all it takes is a few players attending class at FSU to open the potential exposure up from 11,000 ND students to 32,000 FSU students (I'm not suggesting going to class actually causes direct exposure to that many students, but in terms of the linking between individuals if you look at each college as a self-contained bubble, which they aren't but for the sake of argument can be used as an estimate for amount of comparable exposure). You multiple that by 10-12 games, the links for potential spread become significantly larger. And that doesn't even include my point above about students at places like Miami being exposed to the Miami population versus ND students being exposed to the significantly smaller South Bend population that (currently) has fewer cases.

Bingo. If colleges reverse course on that, then I'd agree
by VaDblDmr  (2020-08-10 16:46:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that you shouldn't play football. But not unless/until then. It's manifestly inconsistent.

Definitely should cancel all on campus activities *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-08-10 16:12:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that the right call is to postpone the season
by jt  (2020-08-10 14:36:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

continue to learn more about the virus, and if we have to postpone again so be it.

Setting a restart for practice of October should give schools enough time to see what is going on once kids are back on campus, etc. You could plan on the season restarting in Nov with games through Dec and then possibly post season in Jan/Feb. Failing that, plan on restarting practice in Jan with games in Feb and March, April post season, and then restart fall camp next Oct.

I would cut the schedule to no more than 8 games
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2020-08-10 17:23:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And plan for a late September/early October kickoff with games every 2 weeks..

There are no easy answers here but
by reilly  (2020-08-10 15:30:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I tend to agree that postponing the season for now may be the best option. We should have a much better idea in a month of how things are going to go with respect to the virus on college campuses once students are back. If it is the sh*tshow many suspect it will be, the season may need to be canceled at that point. If numbers improve and college campuses prove able to avoid/handle outbreaks, then the season can move forward in late September or October.

I think this would be the right approach as well.
by BottleofRed  (2020-08-10 16:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Focus right now on getting kids back to school and adjusted to all the new rules. Maybe it will go better than expected and sports can resume.

I just don't thing cramming two seasons into one calendar
by ACross  (2020-08-10 15:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is worth it. And without a vaccine or major advances in therapies, I think the operative facts are known, so a pause, really doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think that it would be much of a problem
by jt  (2020-08-10 15:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a condensed season in the spring could actually be a boon for college football if the NFL plays in the fall and our numbers are at a point where we can allow fans in stadiums.

Here in CO, for instance, our numbers are actually down pretty far since July and if it keeps moving in that direction things would be looking positive for spring competition, or even late winter. The problem is the "don't tread on me" morons who seem to be substantial in certain areas of the country and who will likely not comply in any meaningful sense with any sort of mask mandate that might help keep numbers down.

In all seriousness, I am not a medical professional and I don't know what the science would tell us about when we can safely play. Perhaps you are right and the operative facts are known. I honestly don't know.

If you postpone fall sports, what makes winter ok?
by okerland  (2020-08-10 14:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basketball normally starts first week in November.

Are we just going to keep kicking the can down the road until someone has a true plan?

basketball delay has already been floated...
by DavidAddison  (2020-08-10 15:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no non-conference games, conference season starting January, 2021. Some chance of vaccine by then.

I think that is a no brainer
by jt  (2020-08-10 15:43:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

basketball is even riskier than football. Again, very hard to "bubble" college athletes like the NBA is doing.

that would be one concern that I definitely have
by jt  (2020-08-10 15:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with that said, however, the hope would need to be that we make some progress and get the numbers down.