WR v. Duke: 7 catches for 74 yards
by ColoraDomer (2020-09-15 13:58:15)

This is where we are folks. Seven catches by the WR. The RB was responsible for almost 200 yards. Three 2 and outs and 1 5 and out to start the game against the vaulted powerhouse duke defense. It took a fake punt to be the longest play from scrimmage until late. Book looked like he is . . . like he would be better reading a book than throwing more than a 8 yd route. I don't know that we completed a ball in the air for more than 17 yards. I know about YAC, but dont remember a completed ball that was further than 20 yards. And this guy is the supposed offensive genius. (pun intended)

"Kelly is the winningest active coach in NCAA Football (all divisions)*. He is the only coach to win The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (2009, 2012 and 2018) on more than one occasion. Kelly is the fourth-winningest coach in school history*."

What do you fight for Jack? Not an elite football team, that is for sure.

Skill position recruiting by Kelly and staff continues to be
by smithwick  (2020-09-16 12:14:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

inconsistent and mediocre.

Looking at the non-freshman recruiting classes for kids recruited at WR over the last 4 years:

2019: Kendull Rahman and Cam Hart. Neither guy is currently playing receiver.

2018: Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Lawrence Keys, Micah Jones. The two more highly recruited guys pursued by other big programs were out last week.

2017: Jafar Armstrong, Michael Young. One has been moved to rb and the other transferred.

Yes, there are guys like Wilkins and Davis who were moved from other positions to wide receiver, but there just isn't much talent here. Even Austin and Lenzy have a combined 16 career receptions and people are acting like them returning will fix everything.

I heard Sampson mention somewhere that he talked to Clark Lea this offseason. Lea noted he had a conversation with Tony Alford; Lea asked Alford what the biggest difference was between ND and OSU. Alford didn't hesitate and said that the priority given to recruiting was night and day. Meyer was very hands on and would be in his office almost daily asking about prospects, communication, etc.

Book throws no one open.
by Bill_Brasky  (2020-09-16 08:46:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mckinley is never going to be wide open. That doesn't mean you shouldn't throw it to him. Book checks down immediately and Duke took those throws away. Good on them. Book will need to take some chances to loosen up these defenses. Related to the discussion, why is Notre Dame the only school that can't figure out how to get 4 and 5 star wide receivers on the field as freshman?

It is a defective system
by ACross  (2020-09-16 09:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

blaming Book or the receivers is off the mark.

Rees needed to cut ties to Kelly and learn genuine, modern football concepts, probably in the NFL but perhaps at a program that ran a better system than ND.. there are about 50.

That's unfair
by DakotaDomer  (2020-09-16 09:18:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were several passes that were off by 5 yards or so with no one there to catch or defend.

If the WRs could just magically make up that 5 yard difference we would have been dynamite.

On your other point ... did you see what Louisiana Lafayette (RAGING CAJUNS) did to Iowa State? I can't believe I'm now jealous of Louisiana's ability to weaponize speed.

Minor nit: UL-Lafayette *
by ocnd  (2020-09-16 10:39:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A related question
by jbrown_9999  (2020-09-16 09:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why is it that Kelly cannot figure out how to get 4 and 5 star QBs and RBs on the field as well (regardless of their year in school)

Would need to sign them in the first place, not happening *
by Stonebreaker42  (2020-09-16 18:48:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be clear. This is on Kelly. Not trying to blame Book.
by Bill_Brasky  (2020-09-16 13:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a just a limited player in my opinion.

Is it true that was the first time since the 1980's
by Raoul  (2020-09-15 22:28:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that a back had 90+ yards rushing and receiving? A friend sent me that trivia. Maybe Pinkett last did it?

Last was Pinkett 1983 v Air Force, 193 rushing 93 receiving
by IrishTrpt07  (2020-09-16 00:16:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

courtesy of Lou Somogyi with BGI

OK. Kind of a surprise. Wonder if we have ever had 100-100 *
by Raoul  (2020-09-16 12:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like we've only had 70-70 a couple times recently.
by tdiddy07  (2020-09-16 13:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Armando Allen had exactly 71-70 against MSU in 2010.
Darius Walker had 146-73 against Purdue in 2006.

I don't see game logs for Rocket (sports-reference appears to only start tracking those in 2000), but he had enough yards in both categories in 89 and 90 that he may have had a good combo one of those games.

I can't imagine anyone in the Kevin Rogers offenses achieved this. And I can't think of receivers who were used enough in end arounds to break off a big one. Golden Tate had 61-80 against Washington State in 2009 and had 55-57 against Purdue the same year. But other return guys didn't get many rushing opportunities. Getherall maxed out on 8 attempts for 78 rushing yards in his senior season.

Some other guesses...
by Lone Star Irish  (2020-09-15 22:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about Ricky Watters? Maybe the Rocket? Just speculating.

We lost our top three pass catchers from last year...
by RoosRule  (2020-09-15 21:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And had limited spring practice and less than typical fall practice. Not to mention our best returning WR in Lenzy was not available. Our transfer WR, who has more career catches than our entire team combine, went out with a hammy early. Our true frosh tight end had some nice catches, and Kyren had an excellent game both rushing and receiving. I didn’t realize passing yards only counted when they were caught by WRs. And Joe Wilkins Jr, who I just had to Google and didn’t know he was even on the team, emerged as a nice possession receiver. Give it some time, with the backdrop it should be expected that game one would not be flawless from a QB to WR standpoint, but there were some nice positives from new players.

Or you can be angry about it and use it as another reason to hate Brian Kelly. You’re choice.

You're choice, but nobody would care if we would of won more
by jt  (2020-09-16 13:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

games when we were playing their.

Four years of Davie scarred me...
by RoosRule  (2020-09-16 13:26:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And may be the reason for my less than lofty expectations.

you mean "for" years, right?
by jt  (2020-09-16 13:47:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just giving you a hard time.

Or you can recognize part of the problem was the
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-09-16 00:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Qb’s poor footwork and fundamentals that caused under thrown and over thrown passes to wide open receivers. The question “why do our Qb’s regress under this coach“ has nothing to do with hate or anger.

After 10 years Kelly's ability is in the history book.....
by Wolfetone  (2020-09-16 07:27:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Transcends love or hate.....

Our QB struggles to throw the ball downfield
by RoosRule  (2020-09-16 06:35:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That has been a fact his entire career, which means we are unlikely to have a ton of WR yards because there are a lot of screens and short passes built into the system intentionally to play to his strengths. I was concerned about his lack of touch on many short passes, which may in fact be regression but let’s give it a few games before we declare it. He didn’t have a great game, but he played well enough, it was the first game of a strange season with less prep time than normal, and we stuck with the run even when it wasn’t going great, which all of you want.

Mayer and Kyren looked great, Wilkins came out of nowhere, and Book is who we thought he is. Can someone not point out the positives and accept the known short comings, without being called a Kelly-excuses?

And the OP took the legitimate question and turned it into a why-Kelly-and-Jack-are-awful post. Legitimate questions are fine, but when they’re posed simply to give another reason to bash the ND football administration, it just sucks all the joy out of it.

Duke was the opponent
by MrE  (2020-09-16 10:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Joe Wilkins came out of nowhere.”

If catching 4 passes against Duke for 44 yards (3 of which were against a prevent D in the last minute of the first half) by the WR who did not beat out McKinley and Skowronek, is something that should excite people...

Then why is he our starting QB?
by El Kabong  (2020-09-16 09:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why do so many people act like Brian Kelly is trying to coach a team Yahoo autodrafted for him?

Kelly did not recruit Burrow, Fields or Hurts ...
by NDinJapan  (2020-09-16 11:57:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when they transferred. Why? Because he believes that Book is better than those quarterbacks.

I don't necessarily think that's the case.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-16 22:22:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's just that Kelly has so much of his precious system drilled into Book's head that he wouldn't want to start all over again with somebody else, even those with superior talent like the three you mention.

Classic! *
by novadamer  (2020-09-16 10:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*copied and pasted from the official 2020 excuse list *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-09-15 21:55:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You chose option B *
by RoosRule  (2020-09-15 22:05:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are of Irish heritage *
by ACross  (2020-09-15 22:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lenzy and Austin will help
by SEE  (2020-09-15 21:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but a lot of this is on the QB who doesn't seem to be improving.

They'll help, but they have a combined 16 career catches.
by smithwick  (2020-09-16 12:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a program, we should not be relying on these two guys to stay healthy throughout a year to have any chance of competing with the elite. Clemson, OSU, Bama, Georgia, have six to seven Kevin Austins on their rosters.

Quite the pattern. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-09-15 21:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even more stunning since Duke was daring us to throw it *
by Jvan  (2020-09-15 17:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cannot imagine formulating the thought that we should hire
by ACross  (2020-09-15 16:04:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from within to perpetuate this goddamned program. It hovers between mediocre and putrid, feasting and padding its record on ACC dregs and also rans and buy games and rivals on the down swing.

The idea that "starting all over" would be riskier than perpetuating this clown show is such a transparent disguise for "I really need to validate my enmity for people who think Kelly and Swarbrick suck and I will go down with this ship for another 6 or 8 years. Y'all.
Pass the chitterlings. "

They 'started all over' in 1964 and almost won a NC *
by thethinman  (2020-09-15 17:44:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post