For those inclined to pooh pooh a Tommy Rees succession plan
by SWPaDem (2020-09-18 05:34:40)
Edited on 2020-09-18 07:36:39

So let it be written. So let it be done. Not bad after his second game as offensive coordinator. 2 and 0, baby! With Kelly remaining Charles in Charge for the next five years, Jack's work is all but done. From USA Today, no less:

Irish’s Rees adds honor, could a succession plan be in place?

Rees came back home in January of 2017, as the quarterbacks coach before being elevated to the offensive coordinator before the Pinstripe Bowl last year. The meteoric rise among the coaching community has turned heads, today Rees was among 247Sports top 30 under 30 set of coaches.

At just 28 years old, Rees is among the youngest coordinators in the country, but one with incredible upside. “He’s one of the fastest-rising coaches in college football,” said 247Sports, as Rees made the list for a second consecutive year.

While his first game this year didn’t go as well as people would have liked, the Irish offense is still growing and the sample size is very small. Rees will find a groove, like the offense did late in the win against Duke. The potential for a high-powered offense is evident, there just needs to be other playmakers to step up aside from running back Kyren Williams.

Looking forward to what might happen with the Irish, Brian Kelly could be grooming Rees as his predecessor. Kelly just signed an extension through the 2024 season, which would put him at 62 years old when his agreement is set to expire. Kelly has hinted that he would like to hang it up soon, actually dodged questions about his pending retirement after the extension announcement was made. Last year Kelly hinted that he had 5 more years of coaching in him, which the new extension leads him up to.

This might be funny if it weren't so darn predictable.

Thanks God Kelly has 5 more years of mediocrity in him
by faustfever  (2020-09-19 09:20:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was getting worried.

Rees isn't the guy. PJ Fleck wants the gig. Row the Boat.

grooming Rees as his predecessor?
by quasimodo  (2020-09-18 18:06:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He should hire a proof reader that speaks english.

Quasi

I'm still holding out for Mike Sanford. *
by FL_Irish  (2020-09-18 16:07:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a blog site that has zero insight. Ignore it. *
by Freight Train  (2020-09-18 14:57:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It fits the Swarbrick playbook to a T.
by NDBass  (2020-09-18 15:07:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He might have zero insight, but he's likely spot on.

There is no way Rees will be BK's successor. No way.
by Freight Train  (2020-09-18 15:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will be 33 years old and Swarbrick, as big of an idiot as he is, is not that stupid and besides, he won't be picking the successor anyway. He'll be retired himself by the time it comes to make that decision. The mold is quite clear - we are going to get the flavor of the month from a lower tier school.

I have no clue who that is because the flavor of the month won't be known until about October of BK's last year, but that's the profile. It won't be Rees.

Why would anyone hire a failed OC anyway? *
by OldIrishFan  (2020-09-18 22:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think he will be.
by NDBass  (2020-09-18 16:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do think Swarbrick has thought that he would be a good choice if he was still the AD. Fortunately, he won't be.

You know it's Rees
by SEE  (2020-09-18 13:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as sure as you knew who our OL coach would be.

I think Jack is planning on hanging around for $2 to $3
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 20:39:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

million per for not doing much other than to push ND with both football feet into the ACC and then crown Tommy after Kelly hangs it up.

There's only one or two scenarios where I don't see this happening, and they would be external in nature. Where the hell else would we be going after totally abandoning our legacy except for when we can make a buck off of it?

Don't you mean a Tommy Rees "precession" plan? *
by jbrown_9999  (2020-09-18 12:05:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To paraphrase a wise man: Everybody’s got a plan...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-18 11:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

until their young offensive coordinator gets punched in the mouth.

Good answer. I like the way you think.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 20:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm going to be watching you.

Or calls a flea flicker on his first snap. *
by Wooderson  (2020-09-18 12:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could we hire a big name sure thing for once ? *
by Wolfetone  (2020-09-18 11:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What is George O’Leary doing? *
by 1978Irish  (2020-09-18 16:29:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By George...it’s O’Leary! *
by kellykapowski  (2020-09-19 15:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Working on his masters and varsity letter at New Hampshire. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-09-18 23:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with your sentiment, but I am not sure
by Srock  (2020-09-18 12:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a sure thing exists anymore. Michigan certainly thought they had the "sure thing" and is paying dearly for it.

Why even try when others have failed? *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-09-18 13:20:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gosh, that is exactly what I said. *
by Srock  (2020-09-18 14:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harbaugh just needs time to get his guys in place. *
by Wooderson  (2020-09-18 12:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right idea, wrong coordinator
by LeLuni  (2020-09-18 11:21:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lea will have his pick of mid-tier Power 5 jobs after this season. I have a guess at how Savvy will get him to stay. So damn predictable.

I don't think Lea will have his pick of mid-tier P5 HC jobs.
by MrE  (2020-09-18 11:55:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Vandy or some other academics-focused school will hire him for "fit" purposes, but I doubt Lea is/will be a hot commodity.

It seems most mid-tier jobs go to:
a) a HC at a smaller school (MAC, etc)
b) a name brand HC (Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, Herm Edwards, Kevin Sumlin, et al.)
c) a strong recruiter

Lea does not fit any of those. Plus, he has some bad film as DC against good opponents.

That isn't a USA Today reporter
by irishaddict  (2020-09-18 10:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a guy in his basement creating free content for a website with USA Today's name on it.

Correct. This crap isn't worth addressing.
by gordonbombay  (2020-09-18 14:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND might well screw up the post-Kelly transition, I certainly wouldn't bet against it, but this article has fuck-all to do with any of that.

Jack Swarbrick using a pseudonym? *
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 11:03:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank God all we were taught about excellence in life
by ColoraDomer  (2020-09-18 10:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is not being followed by the same school leaders.

Wow! Grooming Rees as his predecessor? Better get Tommy
by frosh  (2020-09-18 09:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a time machine.

This reminds me of Silicon Valley when Big Head is promoted at Hooli.

It would be the most impressive thing BK has ever done * *
by BmoreIrish  (2020-09-18 12:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tommy's mom writes a nice piece. *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2020-09-18 09:43:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that site/writing is embarrassingly bad.
by MrE  (2020-09-18 09:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's consistently worse than even the fan recruiting sites and the new SI garbage. My middle schooler could do better.

I'm reaching that same conclusion *
by El Kabong  (2020-09-18 11:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Says as much about Rees as it does about ND. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-18 09:13:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pinstripe Bowl last year? *
by Slotts  (2020-09-18 09:03:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vomit
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-09-18 08:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's not even a good QB coach.

Is it too much to ask that Jack Swarbrick won't be the one
by VaDblDmr  (2020-09-18 08:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

making that decision?

He won't be. *
by Wooderson  (2020-09-18 12:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s probably grooming some lawyer successor that’s never
by DakotaDomer  (2020-09-18 08:48:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Played or coached any revenue sports.

I think you meant predecessor *
by Son of Galway  (2020-09-18 12:52:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

" grooming Rees as his predecessor. " Uhm.....Editor?? *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-09-18 07:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a Figthing *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-09-19 13:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'll be featured in the next season of Doctor Who. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-09-18 09:15:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could be a Trinity-type thing when you include Jack.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 07:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's all so confusing.

Good grief...it’s shaping up to be a a true comedy of errors *
by 2ndstreeter  (2020-09-18 07:03:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only two games as offensive coordinator.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 07:41:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The King will be dead. Long live the King.