Pac 12 medical experts now say "safe to play"
by jt (2020-09-18 20:18:27)

Vote expected in the next few days.

This has been a completely fucked up situation.

Known Unknowns vs. Unknown Unknowns
by nannywarth  (2020-09-19 11:57:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We now know we can manage testing and infections (LSU aside) and we now know the primary concerns with infection (including asymptomatic) in athletes (myocarditis and lung issues). Schools are looking at a much better testing regime and the ability to screen athletes for the known issues, including EKG's and other tests.

The mistake was "canceling" the season vs. just postponing it in July/Aug.

Good news
by acrossdmiddle  (2020-09-19 10:04:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, the air quality out west is probably a greater threat to players than the virus at this point.

Good to see some are following the science *
by Raoul  (2020-09-18 23:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FAU cancelled their trip to Georgia Southern last night *
by DakotaDomer  (2020-09-19 06:32:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he say what changed? *
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-18 20:25:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Original decision made after seeing overstated Covid stats (link)
by Kayo  (2020-09-19 20:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to the linked Oregonian report

The lawyers lost the argument. *
by PWK2  (2020-09-19 13:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They developed a severe case of irrelevance *
by irishlawyer  (2020-09-19 08:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that I know of
by jt  (2020-09-18 20:29:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was going off of this retweet by si.com:

async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">>

my cynical reply would be
by jt  (2020-09-18 20:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"nobody followed us and we're going to lose a shit-ton of $$$$."

I have a very cynical opinion about this, much of it formed from talking to people and coaches somewhat close to the situation and here's what it looks like from that vantage point--this was a political hot potato and certain states didn't want to go against their governors. I think that we won't know how truly serious this really is until and unless it's too late, and it's a damn clown show. It has been even worse at the high school level.

Zero leadership. No ability to stand up for what's right. Too much of a hurry to make a decision.

Here’s my more charitable view
by ACross  (2020-09-18 23:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has blown through a lot of teams and general student bodies but - I must stress that I do not know statistics and data on this - the disease seems not to have hit too hard. So maybe there is observational experience that is the basis here.

It was a reasonable call to halt play. Not sure an al; clear is warranted but I would listen to explanations

learning from the world (link)
by MBOIrish  (2020-09-19 07:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before anyone posts further, this will help you understand:
https://youtu.be/8UvFhIFzaac

I will add to your charitable view
by jt  (2020-09-19 02:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but adjust to say that it was reasonable to "pause" (replace halt) play.

There would have been almost no issues with moving things back to mid to late October. Canceling things caused problems. If you pause and things don't get better, then cancel.

Or count back from 30 everyone dead
by airborneirish  (2020-09-19 00:18:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was stupid for the relevant age group. I know applying statistics is controversial.

I don’t understand your post *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 00:20:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s saying people under 30 years old not at serious risk *
by Freight Train  (2020-09-19 07:12:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or maybe it was safe all along
by garbageplate  (2020-09-18 20:50:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they're just now figuring out that there's zero reason not to play, particularly given the money involved.

I don’t think anyone thinks there is “zero” reason not to
by ACross  (2020-09-18 23:30:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play.

Your "evolution' has been entertaining
by garbageplate  (2020-09-19 11:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the start of the virus, you were touting your ability to manage risk independently and make reasonable choices based on your own preferences. Several months later, you're proclaiming strict adherence to public health officials and admonishing anyone who dares to suggest that we might get back to a normal version of life for the young and low-risk individuals.

You'd probably slather catsup on your sweetbreads if Dr. Fauci told you it might help lower your risk of COVID.

Nothing you say is accurate *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 12:28:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can think of about 197,000 reasons not to play *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2020-09-18 22:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're not playing with nursing home residents. *
by Dadknuknutesson  (2020-09-19 07:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of those Australian punters are pretty old. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-09-19 07:43:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I wasn't clear
by jt  (2020-09-18 21:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that was certainly a possibility, as is the possibility that it isn't really safe but if everyone else is doing it and we stand to lose a lot of money, oh well, too bad for the athletes.

It’s not like we know more now than a few months ago
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-18 21:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing has changed in the Big-10 since they made their decision except for the successful launch of the ACC + Notre Dame last weekend.

I don’t think that that the “successful launch” played a rol *
by ACross  (2020-09-18 23:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Successful launch may be overstating it, but consider...
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-19 01:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there are three areas of the country that care more about college football than anything else: the south, Texas, and the Midwest.

The South and Texas are playing, the Midwest is not (except for ND). The majority of the states / constituents within the Midwest states want college football to be played (right, wrong, or otherwise).

I absolutely believe that ND playing (it was the highest rated game in a week of bad options) sticks in the craw of UM, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. Half of those schools were wanting to play anyway, consequences be damned.

Of course it did. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-19 00:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our game was a ratings bonanza
by ACross  (2020-09-19 00:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to mention a showcase.

Nobody watched.

Tune in tomorrow to our game on the O Network. Or is it the Spice Channel? I know you will. Because nothing else is going on in your life.

Nobody watched? Highest rated afternoon opener since '06
by ribs  (2020-09-19 08:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most viewers of any college football game of the (diluted) weekend. No doubt more a result of pent up demand for college football than quality of play or the matchup itself. But:

"It was the most-viewed Notre Dame afternoon home opener since the Irish last welcomed Penn State to South Bend way back in 2006. It’s also the most-viewed Notre Dame home contest since the Fighting Irish battled Michigan in primetime to kickoff the 2018 season."

Only two opener games were against anyone of note
by 88_92WSND  (2020-09-19 11:26:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Texas and Michigan (and those were both prime time). So the afternoon opener list of teams is:
Temple twice,
Rice,
Nevada twice,
Purdue twice,
San Diego State,
New MExico,
South Florida.

No doubt. But ND-Duke drew 4.4M viewers.
by ribs  (2020-09-19 11:56:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By any measure, that's a very good number. It was the most-viewed game of the weekend. Yes, there were far fewer options than normal, and yes, the pent up demand was a massive contributor too, but that would apply to all games. To say "nobody watched" is undeniably inaccurate.

For context, ND-USC last year on NBC had 3.1m viewers, in prime time. Most ND NBC games are between 1.5m-2.5m viewers.

When there is more competition, most non ND games
by 88_92WSND  (2020-09-19 13:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

average 6 million. With nothing else going on, there were fewer viewers of the only real game on at the time than there were for a normal game when eyeballs are divided 3 or 4 ways.
Using the 'tallest midget' of comparison with the SD State line up is Pinkel worthy

Forgive me, not sure the point you are trying to make
by ribs  (2020-09-19 14:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's that "nobody watched" the Notre Dame-Duke game, you are objectively wrong. The audience was obviously unusually large, for any ND game on NBC.

If your point is something else, you might be right, I have no idea.

Good information. Thanks. I can see why USA Network
by Raoul  (2020-09-19 12:24:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gladly picked it up.

Our openers are usually dogs *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 10:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While perhaps not new, it seems clearer now that this
by NDTwice  (2020-09-18 23:13:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Virus is a discriminating one, being a serious health threat to older folks like myself and to those with notable existing health conditions and really a minor threat to younger age groups.

I think we know plenty
by garbageplate  (2020-09-18 21:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rate of hospitalizations on college campuses (0.0%), in particular, is relevant to the decision whether to play.

Looks like you get your data from Fox *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 01:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, on Hannity while making a homemade MAGA lawn sign
by garbageplate  (2020-09-19 09:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given your affinity for sharing stories of partying and frivolity from your college days, it’s a good thing that you went to ND when you did. I can only imagine you on campus today: wearing a mask at all hours of the day, living in fear, probably snitching on other students.

You meathead *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 11:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had enough data on that already
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-19 00:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The hospitalization rate of teens and young adults was well understood by early summer.

It developed a little as people began to ignore distancing
by ACross  (2020-09-19 01:03:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The science is not static.

We already knew that but ok *
by airborneirish  (2020-09-19 00:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The new test that gives results in 15 minutes. *
by FrMiceli  (2020-09-18 22:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now that it’s too late for USC to play ND. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-18 20:21:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post