If the playoff selection committee has decided that number
by GoldenBlues (2020-11-22 22:22:54)

of games played doesn’t matter, why even bother playing anymore at this point? Clearly there’s nothing more to gain and everything to lose. If a team isn’t being penalized for playing 6-7 games then why should ND play twice as many?

“ND shouldn’t play the ACC CG, there is nothing to gain!”
by golfjunkie17  (2020-11-23 12:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- the most pathetic hot take simmering on NDN right now.

Who said that it doesn't matter?
by rockmcd  (2020-11-23 12:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has there been an announcement that I'm not aware of?

As far as I'm aware, the number of games played has always mattered, but not in a binary sense. In 2018 the CFP Committee ranked a 12-0 Notre Dame ahead of the 12-1 champions of the Big 12 and Big 10 conferences. They also ranked 12-0 UCF below both of those 12-1 teams. In other words, there wasn't a rigid rule that disqualified anybody, they used their judgment.... which is what they're supposed to do this year.

So will a 12-1 ND team that just lost a Clemson rematch in the ACC title game be ranked ahead of a 7-0 team that just won the PAC 12 title game? Maybe, maybe not. It'll come down to the Committee's judgment, and each team's "eye test" over the next 4 weeks will play a key role. The Pac 12 winner will not be eliminated just because they played fewer games, but it certainly will be something that will be weighed against them. Weighing against them even more may be the lack of a signature win.

They did (link)
by GoldenBlues  (2020-11-23 12:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That doesn't say what you claim it says.
by rockmcd  (2020-11-23 12:33:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does not, as you claim, say that the number of games played doesn't matter. It actually says the opposite.

"The number of games and wins by each team is certainly important in weighing its ranking."

"The more games played, the more chances a team has to prove itself to the committee."

I really think that we should pass on the ACCCG. Pull a FSU
by MarkinSeattle  (2020-11-23 00:15:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and have some doctors say that it isn’t safe for our players to play.

If we finish the rest of the season undefeated, the ACCCG will only hurt, not help. Find some way to put enough players in isolation due to contact tracing so that we don’t have the minimum.

In some ACC bosses' backroom, they are saying the same thing
by doghoused  (2020-11-24 08:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACC gets 2 teams in right now. If both Clemson and ND win out, the money made by having 2 teams in the playoff likely exceeds the money from the ACC championship game. I'm not 100% certain on that, but I'll bet that it has been analyzed by ACC leadership.