Will there be Spring practice for all conferences?
by Tex Francisco (2020-11-23 12:10:18)
Edited on 2020-11-23 12:11:45

At what point will the differences in number of games and potential differences in practice time begin to create a real chasm between the quality of the conferences? While this applies to some degree to the Big 10, I'm thinking particularly about the Pac 12, already weakish, getting completely left behind. Stanford, in particular, already on a downward trajectory (4-8 last year, 0-2 this year) has to play Vandy, K-State, and ND next year. Throw in some extra disadvantages from covid, I think they're going to struggle again in 2021, and we can officially proclaim the Harbaugh/Shaw golden era to be dead.

BYU plays Arizona, Utah, ASU, Washington State, and USC. BYU will enter those games a dramatically more experienced team, particularly the first three which are played the first three weeks of the season. If BYU goes 5-0 or even 4-1 against the Pac 12, not impossible, I think it'll be very telling.

I feel like lack of games/practice could also really hurt a program like Wisconsin that relies on player development. Programs like Ohio State that are used to cycling through elite level talent are probably better equipped to handle this.

Replies: