Probably in with only one loss, even if it's a blowout.
by revressbo (2020-11-24 19:36:18)

In reply to: CFP: ND is #2; PAC-12 and Big-12 have no chance at playoff  posted by NavyJoe

I was thinking previously that a blowout loss to Clemson in the ACCCG would eliminate us. Now, I'm not as sure. The committee has Clemson at #3 right now, ahead of OSU. Doesn't look like BYU or the Pac 12 champ will jump us even if undefeated (though you never know) and even if we lose to Clemson by 28. I think we'd still be ahead of A&M in that case given we'd each have blowout losses to top teams, and we'd have a comparable, but slightly better win (Clemson vs. UF). None of the other top-10 teams outside the current top-4 can probably pass us if we finish with only one loss except maybe Cincinnati, and even that I doubt (assuming a Northwestern loss to Ohio State. And if Northwestern beats OSU, we'll finish ahead of the Bucks, so it's kinda irrelevant either way).

What could perhaps mess that up is if Florida upsets Bama in Atlanta. That would probably get both Florida and Bama in, combined with Clemson and Ohio State.

Of course, we can avoid worrying about that by just winning.

Replies: