The UC game next year looks more and more interesting.
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-11-24 21:36:24)
Edited on 2020-11-24 21:36:59

We play them the week after playing Wisconsin. What kind of team are they? How many of their good players are they losing in the offseason? I have not watched them at all.

Why?
by ndtnguy  (2020-11-25 14:14:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing good comes from playing Cincinnati. There's no tradition to which to pay homage, no honor or prestige to be gained by winning. It's a no-nevermind unless Kelly lays an egg, in which case it's just another entry in the annals of infamy.

The same thing is true for Toledo.

I don't care how good those teams are and I don't care to have Notre Dame find out.

what a defeatist attitude
by Catdog2  (2020-11-25 17:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how about we play them, beat the shit out of them, and then continue on with our lives.

Or we could do that to a team anyone cares about.
by ndtnguy  (2020-11-25 18:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Opposing filling the schedule up with bottom-feeder commuter schools rather than teams with any actual football pedigree isn't "defeatist." In fact, it's far removed from "defeatism."

"bottom feeder school *
by Catdog2  (2020-11-25 22:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati or New Mexico Lobos, like in 2019?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-11-25 15:21:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see your point, but if UC is ranked, it will help our SOS.

I'll have "Games that should have been scheduled" for 800 *
by ndtnguy  (2020-11-25 15:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They might very well be our toughest home opponent
by gordonbombay  (2020-11-25 11:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depending on what happens with USC in the next 11 months.

I'm not sure what that says about our home slate, but they've certainly looked the part so far this season. We'll see if a power school comes for Fickell this off-season.

W-CRAP in Cincinnati *
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-11-25 11:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the most interesting schedule next year
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-11-25 11:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the cadence is pretty bad. FSU probably won't be good, but we break in a new QB on the road against them. To the extent we're going to have the Toledo game on the schedule, it should be the first game.

Looks like the top teams we'll face will be USC, Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Cincinnati. Unfortunately, along with Virginia Tech, we face them in consecutive games from Sept. 25 - Oct. 30, with a week off before USC.

November is a total snooze, with Navy, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Stanford.

It's a schedule that doesn't include any real statement games, but the ordering of the games makes it more difficult than the caliber of teams would suggest (or that we'll get credit for). And the lack of any real opportunities in November gives us almost no room for error in the middle of the season.

If the schedule is unacceptable
by shea  (2020-11-25 18:00:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

maybe we should drop Stanford and Navy going forward.

I'm not particularly opposed to that
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-11-25 19:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though I at least understand the navy rationale.

The stanford game was all stemming from Monk getting his jollies off about aspirational peers. There's no reason to play that game every year.

The ACC dregs are a burden on the schedule.

Not aimed at you, but seriously?
by tar  (2020-11-25 10:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati? North Carolina? Any number of other putrid teams on our schedule that people are clutching their pearls over? These teams suck. If ND can’t curb stomp them, then ND isn’t really that good. There is little to be interested in with most of the weak ass teams on the schedule this year or in future years, save the occasional game against a decent team like Clemson.

Wisconsin in GB would have been intriguing for the novelty of a rare opponent in a hallowed venue.

I know Lou Holtz used to build up opponents, but it was his schtick. We should be more discerning and have higher expectations.

Don’t we play Ohio State/Clemson both in 22 and 23?
by athlete37  (2020-11-25 14:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll give you 2021 is lacking, but ya kinda brush over our higher level opponents the next two years, which consist of 2 of the 3 best programs right now.

Yes
by HTownND  (2020-11-25 16:07:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although every other game in 2022 is less than ideal outside of Cal and the standards

Marshall
Cal
Stanford
UNLV
Navy
USC
UNC
BC
Syracuse

2023 is
USC
Wake
Navy
Stanford
Duke
Louisville
NC State
Pitt

There are still some open slots in those years, but I'd be shocked if we get any big names. They feel like buy slots for us.

Those are some extremely top heavy schedules with a bunch of less than stellar programs underneath. Demand for OSU and Clemson tickets will be through the roof. The rest will be wide open for tickets.

Unfortunately for us, outside of Clemson, the ACC really sucks, and we are locked and loaded with them plus USC/Navy/Stanford.

Eh, complaining about 2022 and 2023 is at the margins
by KeoughCharles05  (2020-11-25 16:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both years feature Clemson, Ohio State, and USC.

2022 especially spaces those games out nicely, with Ohio State leading off, Clemson in an early November showdown, and USC as the finale. The rest of the games don't much matter, but for what it's worth, I'd expect BC to finish the season ranked, and UNC to finish as a top 15 team then. But when you play 2 of the top 3 teams over the last decade, there's opportunities for great games/moments, and nothing that anyone can sneeze at when looking at a resume for playoff contention.

2023 shapes up just a little bit worse, with no season-capping game to speak of. It also doesn't appear as though any of the current filler will be particularly good. Might be a good year to reschedule the Wisconsin game...

I think UNC in Brown’s 4 year will be top 15 to 20, along
by athlete37  (2020-11-25 16:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with USC. So that schedule may have teams ranked something along the lines of 2, 3, 16, and 16, which is pretty good if it holds. It kind of sucks that Stanford has fallen off the map a lot and that Cal is still down. Marshall is currently ranked but that’s not assured to continue in a regular season. I get what you’re saying, but he really brushed past Ohio State in saying “Clemson was a decent game but otherwise...”

In my opinion. That’s the equivalent of brushing past Alabama now.

“save the occasional game against a decent team...
by tar  (2020-11-25 18:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like Clemson”

I didn’t brush past anyone and my point stands. We play a bunch of tomato cans a one or two decent teams. It’s far from the standard of excellence our best teams proved themselves against and the types of schedules our championship teams and coaches regularly faced.

I know I know. It’s not 1988 anymore...

Our 2022 schedule will be a top 5-10 SOS *
by athlete37  (2020-11-25 18:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'll see
by HTownND  (2020-11-25 18:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There will be a lot of SEC schools above us, and it's possible Ohio State, by virtue of playing us, will also be there.

Our problem is the ACC sucks, outside of Clemson, and will continue to suck, which will drag us down.

And our traditional non ACC slate has also hit the shitter
by tar  (2020-11-25 21:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC can no longer be counted upon to be good.

Navy has always been a lose-lose

Stanford is weak

Now we’ve added bullshit buy games.

ND should never lose more than 1 game because they don’t play anybody good anymore.

Shwashbrack has stacked the deck for Kelly, and he still manages to trip over his own dick every year.

And people eat it up because “it’s the best we can do”

Pitt and Miami sucked for most of Ara's career
by ODSCHOOL  (2020-11-26 12:32:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were generally good for a 49-7 beat down

Shitter’s full *
by athlete37  (2020-11-26 12:00:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shitter’s full *
by athlete37  (2020-11-26 10:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson just "decent". Pleeeez! *
by Wolfetone  (2020-11-25 12:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They haven’t beaten anyone good yet. *
by tar  (2020-11-25 14:02:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's Cincinatti
by HTownND  (2020-11-25 10:09:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we'll see if Fickell is around. I know he got a new contract, and the buyout it around 4 million before 1/1/21, but who knows what will happen.

And it's still Cincinatti.

Cincinnati. Two "Ns" in the middle, one "T" at the end
by Freight Train  (2020-11-25 14:11:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can I send you some Skyline or Graeters?

I make many mistakes
by HTownND  (2020-11-25 14:51:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the misspelling of that one has been the most frequent for my entire life.

It's bad because I was born in Ohio, have family in Ohio, and had several cousins attend the University of Cincinnati.

Thanks for the correction.

FOCUS on UNC....Happy Thanksciving....Go IRISH!!! *
by ND Harvey  (2020-11-25 08:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about North Carolina this season?
by dbldomer7375  (2020-11-25 08:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chapel Hill on Friday and then Winston Salem in December.

Then Charlotte a week later *
by El Kabong  (2020-11-25 09:22:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two games in Virginia is interesting
by Melanzana  (2020-11-24 23:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aside from Indiana and Florida, how often has Notre Dame played two games in the same state?

Excluding FL/IN, played in two states numerous times
by trout  (2020-11-25 06:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since 1930-

In 2018 played Navy in San Diego and at USC in LA

In 2016 played at Texas in Austin and against Army in San Antonio

In 2015 played at Temple in Philadelphia and at Pitt

In 2007 played UCLA in Rose Bowl and Stanford in Palo Alto and coincidently won both games in what was a most dismal 3-9 season.

In 1997 played LSU twice in Louisiana.

First game in Baton Rouge. Second game was Independence Bowl in Shreveport

In 1964 played Navy in Philadelphia and at Pitt in back to back games

In 1954 played at Pitt and at Penn in Philadelphia

In 1951 played University of Detroit in Detroit and MSU in East Lansing

In 1945 played at Northwestern in Evanston and Great Lakes Navy in North Chicago

In 1943 played at Northwestern and Great Lakes Navy in Comiskey Park

In 1942 played at Illinois in Champaign and Great Lakes Navy in North Chicago

In 1940 played at Illinois and Northwestern

In 1937 played at Illinois and Northwestern

In 1930 played at Pitt and Penn and at Northwestern and against Army at Soldier Field

That's surprising - no Michigan / MSU *
by ndtnguy  (2020-11-25 14:22:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I was checking past schedules, ND did not play
by trout  (2020-11-25 14:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at MSU and at UM in the same year.

Disclaimer-It is possible there are some errors in my list

In 1915, they played two games in three days in Texas. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-11-25 00:24:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m pretty happy about it.
by Ndwahoo  (2020-11-24 23:39:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last time nd went to uva i had a glorious time.

We were at opposite corner of stadium on final TD
by GU82ND4ever  (2020-11-26 09:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We couldn’t tell what had happened until the ND fans at that end started celebrating. That was such a great throw and catch. Dinner at Peter Chang’s afterward was pretty good, too.

Indeed. Wife and I were in the upper tier above that TD. *
by Barrister  (2020-11-25 12:43:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we couldn't find a hotel. so we got a limo.
by NDWahoo  (2020-11-25 13:34:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to take us down from Arlington in the morning, and drive us back at 1am. Turned out to be significantly cheaper than 3 hotel rooms we would have needed. As a bonus, I got to roll down the window as we rolled into the parking lot and ask "excuse me, where is your limousine section?" The parking guy laughed his ass off.

Had seat on the upper bowl opposite the endzone where he scored, and saw the whole play develop. elation.

It was a great time.
by knott06  (2020-11-25 10:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We really packed Scott Stadium with ND fans.

Never again
by Flanner89  (2020-11-25 14:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sold over 1300 tickets to ND fans for that game through our local alumni club. I assumed it would be our normal 30 to 50 tickets when I agreed to that job. I told our board that I am not doing it again for 2021. Man that was a lot of work! Not just me with tickets but there were quite a few others that put in a lot of work for that weekend.

I was there at other 30 yard line
by bullah  (2020-11-25 08:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sitting in line where Malik broke leg. And saw Prosise TD that lives on in commercial. Could see Fuller break free and then heave. Knew it would be close. But did not see catch. Whole UVA crowd slumped to their seats. That confirmed it for me. Not sure what uva safety was doing.

I sat pretty close to you
by Smokin_Clover  (2020-11-25 12:56:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite pictures of B11 is just after the Fuller TD. He has tears in his eyes from when he thought the Irish were going to lose, but also a big smile. And plenty of dejected UVA people in the background.

what a classic! (link)
by Melanzana  (2020-11-24 23:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The kid in the jersey is the best
by ndtnguy  (2020-11-25 14:20:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can only see him in the replay, but he's standing at the far corner of the end zone.

Jehosephat that was a terrible game.

I like the pat on the back to the kid draped over the rail *
by melanzana  (2020-11-25 16:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The picture below was my wallpaper for a while.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-11-25 00:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So much going on in this photo.

I love 2 cheerleaders are watching the 'tron while the play
by NDWahoo  (2020-11-25 13:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is right in front of them.

If that TD did not happen, those stunned UVA fans instead
by trout  (2020-11-25 09:46:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would have stormed the field.

Tough to see most of the field from that vantage point
by shea  (2020-11-25 18:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including the part of the field where that pass came from.

I watched that play in a parking lot at a wedding
by mocopdx  (2020-11-25 09:28:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We were supposed to be taking our seats for the ceremony, but I was shouting at my phone while someone's Grandma walked by horrified. ND football turns me into a caveman.

2 of ND's 3 wins during 2007 were in California.
by rockmcd  (2020-11-24 23:21:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I attended both games at UCLA and at Stanford. I'm pretty sure they would have won the 2007 national championship that year if I had traveled to all the games.

The band was at the other 10 games that year
by shea  (2020-11-25 08:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those were the first ten college football games I ever attended. Some introduction to ND football!

I would have cancelled you out - 1st year of season tickets *
by graNDfan  (2020-11-25 08:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fairly common recently
by Tubes  (2020-11-24 23:19:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just looking quickly, we played 2 in California (USC and Navy in San Diego) in 2018, 2 in Texas (UT and Army in San Antonio) in 2016, and 2 in Pennsylvania (Pitt and Temple) in 2015.

Unless there are covid cancelations...this year. *
by guilfordnd  (2020-11-24 23:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ha! three games in NC! wow *
by Melanzana  (2020-11-24 23:10:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We played in Pennsylvania back-to-back weeks in 2015.
by revressbo  (2020-11-24 23:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At Temple on 10/31 and at Pitt on 11/7.

Also played at Texas and Shamrock Series in San Antonio against Army in 2016, and "at" Navy in San Diego and at USC in 2018. Didn't check beyond the Kelly era.

Also played 2 in PA in '87- @ Pitt 10/10 & @ Penn St 11/21 *
by ArasEra  (2020-11-25 00:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No it doesn’t *
by ACross  (2020-11-24 22:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post