I won't link it because I don't know if we can link Rivals
by VaDblDmr (2021-02-05 11:48:18)

here, but there is a non-premium signing day interview there between Kelly and Mike Farrell. Kelly is now hedging on what "top 5 recruiting class" means to him. He defines it as a class that can, and I'm paraphrasing, get ND into the final AP top 5, which we have done 2 of the last 3 years.

So there you have it. We're already signing "top 5" classes!

If Grace=#1, what hall lights "top 5"? *
by ColoraDomer  (2021-02-06 16:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dillon = #2 *
by oggie  (2021-02-06 17:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many Courics? *
by TAR  (2021-02-06 21:32:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Embarrassing/Excuses: This is what ND football has become.
by Hickster  (2021-02-06 14:44:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pursuit of NOT being excellent at what needs be done.

On DL recruiting, "3.5 Stars is our "Sweetspot" for recruiting and then develop them." Anything to lower expectations and then take a bow for how well they did by cherry-picking the ones that were successful.

BK has backed away from his goal to have "Top 5 Recruiting classes," by changing the meaning to have recruits that can get you into the Top 5 in the AP Poll in the last 2 out of 3 years. BK has again lowered the bar and declared he has reached/surpassed his goal - therefore no need for meaningful improvement.

I have lost any confidence that he will improve the recruiting at ND. If it does improve it will be through the efforts of others (i.e., Marcus Freeman will improve defensive recruiting in spite of BK, and whose example could inspire others on the staff to recruiting better, except for BK). BK has demonstrated what a lazy shit he is. I have tried to give him some benefit of doubt regarding recruiting after he came out with being dedicated to Top 5 recruiting, and then his posy gave him the pandemic excuse.

BK should be taken to task on these statements and should be let go. All of his talk is just bullshit. He has not changed to the point that he should continue in the position - he is the same Brian Kelly, but somewhat better at hiding it.

ND needs a coach that is both more than just competent and truly gives a shit. He needs to go!

Notre Delusion. *
by Brahms  (2021-02-07 19:01:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe another jet will help. *
by Irishlib  (2021-02-06 16:32:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a New Notre Dame.
by MrE  (2021-02-06 15:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly is doing fine.

It's on YouTube
by RJD  (2021-02-06 10:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. The "top 5" thing starts at about the 13:00 mark.
by VaDblDmr  (2021-02-06 12:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it isn't any better watching it the second time around.

Also, according to Kelly, the two Alabama teams and '18 Clemson team we faced in the post-season were, evidently, pretty much the three best teams in the history of college football. So that was just bad luck of the draw. . . .

It is hard to believe
by NDPittsburgh  (2021-02-06 08:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that ND has only had 1 top 10 recruiting class since 2013. I remember the days when to 5 was the norm. When Holtz had the team with Mike Miller, I think they ranked 15th and we thought the skies were falling. Davie had great classes too, though he did nothing with the talent. Similar for Weis. I will give Kelly credit though for evaluation. I do think there tends to be a larger percentage of 3 and 4 stars that play above their ranking but still... 1 top 10 since 2013? Geez

To truly be "Top 5", you have to beat Top 5 teams regularly. *
by Irishdog80  (2021-02-05 16:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is what pi$$es me off the most
by TCIrish03  (2021-02-05 16:14:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This piss down my back and tell me it's raining bullshit.

White and Weis sucked ass, but from what I can remember, they never insulted the intelligence of the fan base and other alums the way Swarbrick and Kelly are trying.

When the cameras and mics are turned off
by potatohouse  (2021-02-05 14:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the coaching staff (primarily the man in charge) is being truly honest with themselves, do you think they believe:

A. That they are earnestly doing enough
B. That the job is just too difficult

I cannot really imagine a meaningfully distinguishable third option. And while I'd have more contempt for A, neither choice makes much of a case for employment at a program like ours.

They’re doing “enough”, and get an off-season
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-02-05 20:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not sure what’s so hard to understand here. If I could work less, get paid the same (with regular increases), and receive praise from my superiors... wait, why should I work harder than I already am?

Option C
by Otter  (2021-02-05 14:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They know they aren't doing enough, but there's no consequences, so why try harder?

To be clear, I am assuming they are working hard at recruiting. But not as hard as our competitors are willing to work.

Play like you wanna be in the top 5 today *
by KnightlyRevue  (2021-02-05 13:56:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or “Play like you’re in the conversation today.” *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-02-06 20:38:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would explain why his goal is a top ten class. *
by NDMike2001  (2021-02-05 13:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That gives him a great chance to go 11-1/12-0 in some years
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-02-05 14:26:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that is his thought process. That still gets you blown out in the semi-final, but I think they delude themselves into (now) thinking that hiring the right coordinators/assistants/analysts will change that result.

I don't think they're deluded at all.
by NDBass  (2021-02-05 16:35:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they're happy to cash checks with no threat if losing their jobs. Kelly knows he isn't going to win a national championship.

Whatever gets Kirk Ferentz to go to work every day...
by IrishGeek  (2021-02-07 16:29:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is probably approximately what gets Brian Kelly to as well.

Well, that's certainly the other possibility
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-02-05 16:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, I do think Kelly/Whistle Pig saw what Lea brought them, and that led to the pursuit of Freeman. Otherwise, I'd have expected them to mail that in more than they did.

Sure looks that way
by Exit 77  (2021-02-05 15:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And as along as ND is making the playoffs no less frequently than recruiting ranking peers like Oklahoma and Oregon, AND making the playoffs far more frequently than the Georgia's and FSU's and USC's who are generally ahead of ND in recruiting rankings, then Kelly's got a good thing going in his mind.

Nobody is touching Alabama in the near term, so might as well aim to occasionally be best in class...seems to be the mindset.

His goal is to spend the bare minimum energy necessary on
by DakotaDomer  (2021-02-05 13:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruiting kids for college.

I don't know if he dislikes that part of the job or if he thinks his energy is better spent elsewhere but he's never going to be known for recruiting.

at this point it's like talking about a smelly fart
by jt  (2021-02-05 13:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we know that it smells, no need to go in and verify that it indeed smells and was likely a wet one.

It’s like the George Carlin joke.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-02-06 11:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Did you ever notice that your own farts smell OK?”

And Kelly nods with a knowing smile.

We all see it, we all see it. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2021-02-05 15:46:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blue! *
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-02-05 20:36:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excuse me while I go dry off my leg and shoe *
by graNDfan  (2021-02-05 12:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess you didn’t realize that it’s raining. *
by Georgia Hog  (2021-02-05 14:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is truly pathetic. *
by irishaddict  (2021-02-05 12:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post