I am a physician and think its
by panamirish (2021-04-12 08:41:36)

Absolutely dumb not to vaccinate every player and staff NOW and not wait until fall to do it. They can use the J&J vaccine which is a single shot and safer as is inactivated virus and not the mRNA new technique if you want to be extra cautious.

This post didn’t age well. *
by irishdoc01  (2021-04-13 22:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the upside, none of the players are adult females. *
by JTG  (2021-04-14 01:58:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hold your horses there boss
by dulac89  (2021-04-14 00:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pause in the JNJ vaccine is coming from nothing more than an over abundance of caution. The condition that has been reported to the database had not been associated with the vaccine. The issue, Cerebral venous thrombosis, while rare, only affected relatively young women. That is also the cohort that is in general more likely to get cerebral venous thrombosis due to their high hormonal state at those ages. From a statistical standpoint, the odds that this is coincidence rather than causation are extremely high. But it would be irresponsible to not pause just in case

..or
by NDPittsburgh  (2021-04-14 20:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's more to what is being shared.. just saying

I get a little concerned with blanket statements.
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-04-12 13:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are side effects to the vaccines, although the more serious side effects are rare.

Some people have either weakened or overly sensitive immune systems. A vaccine that exhibits an unusually strong response in most people has resulted in even worse outcomes for those who have suppressed immune systems.

not sure i understand
by eNDocrine  (2021-04-13 16:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you medical? If so, what types of immunodeficient states shouldn't be treated? The major national immunology conference starts today (now) online- they are discussing myriad "serious" immunodeficiency states. It's not expected that world experts will be advocating for withholding the vaccine in favor of getting the actual virus itself

Patient
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-04-14 04:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The technical diagnosis is Still’s Disease, even though I only have two of the symptoms. My immune system is overreacting to a dead bit of virus DNA in my system. That landed me in the hospital on three different occasions with pericarditis this past summer. To keep my immune system back down, I am on a number of immune suppressors.

I also have a history of getting significant reactions to vaccines, including flu vaccines and the DTAP, in some cases with fevers of over 102 for several days. As most people who don’t normally have an immune system reaction have been getting significant reactions to these vaccines, the concern I have is that this will kick my immune system in high gear. My understanding is that most of the people who have had issues with the vaccines have also had immune deficiencies.

I can take a risk and take the vaccine now, with a serious risk that it will throw my immune system off track. I can wait for this to die out due to herd immunity and work from home as long as possible or I bide my time hoping the longer I hold off the more my immune system will returns to normal and the less risk in taking the vaccine or getting the virus.

I figure that I can’t be the only person who doesn’t have an easy choice and a delicate medical condition.

You also shouldn't be playing div 1 football
by czeche  (2021-04-21 21:36:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They can't work from home. The choice is to be vaccinated or (possibly, likely, or almost certainly) get the virus. Many already have, but the new variants which will likely rip through the unvaccinated crowd (maybe now, maybe next winter) will still likely pose a threat.

It IS possible that a div 1 college athlete could be in a position where the vaccine represents a threat, but obviously so does the virus and it would be all the more important for the other athletes to be vaccinated.

I'm pretty sure that Kelly said in a Press Conference
by TWO  (2021-04-12 10:09:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a couple of weeks ago that they were making the vaccine available to the players, I think starting last week when the rest of the student body also had it made available.

Now in that press conference he said he wasn't sure about making it a requirement but that the were going to have meetings about the benefits to getting the vaccine.

But since then ND has said in order to return to campus this fall you will have to be vaccinated. They will allow exceptions for medical conditions.

edit: found his comments

Players will be able to get the vaccine from April 10 through the 15, and then get their second dose three weeks later.

Irish head coach Brian Kelly is not making the vaccine mandatory for his team, but wants to give them all the option to take it.

“We outlined some of the obvious advantages of having it,” Kelly said. “One of the big ones obviously would be that they could go home and not have to quarantine coming back. Others that are certainly on the horizon that have not been fully established yet would be smaller groups no masks, a chance that we could potentially eat together. Again, we did not mandate it but we talked about the vaccine itself, in terms of what it is.”

Agree. ND a private school. All students should be required
by LAW83  (2021-04-12 09:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to vaccinate if they wish to step foot on campus . Common sense supports this opinion .

Should all ND faculty and staff be required as well?
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-04-12 21:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw Rutgers is requiring vaccinations for students, but only “encouraging” faculty and staff.

Seems like if they are requiring students..
by TWO  (2021-04-13 10:28:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that they should require faculty and staff as well. I can't understand why they wouldn't, faculty and staff being older it would seem like they would really want to be vaccinated and not actually need a mandate.

They are.
by TWO  (2021-04-12 10:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The University of Notre Dame will require all students — undergraduate, graduate and professional — returning to campus for the fall 2021 semester to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the University’s executive officers — President Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., Charles and Jill Fischer Provost Marie Lynn Miranda and Executive Vice President Shannon Cullinan — wrote in a letter sent today to the campus community. The University will accommodate documented medical or religious exemptions.

I am a physician and think we should refrain from opining
by dinger9927  (2021-04-12 09:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In all seriousness, I'm sure the team physicians are on top of this and making appropriate recommendations to the players taking into consideration all of the relevant variables (vaccine availability, rates of community transmission, success of their safety protocols, individual medical histories and vulnerabilities, reasons for vaccine hesitancy, etc.).

not a lot of reasons to not
by eNDocrine  (2021-04-13 16:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What aspects of medical history in a world class athlete would prohibit use? Reaction to a different type of vaccine entirely unlike the mRNA variety? If enough people got vaccinated, there wouldn't be transmission, right? Vaccine hesitancy is the only reason for not. Deodorant hesitancy, haircut hesitancy, air conditioner hesitancy are fine. Vaccine hesitancy- a bit different

F *
by ACross  (2021-04-12 20:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All good points. Athletes shouldnt have any more priority
by Pjnuge  (2021-04-12 10:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than other students, especially those students with comorbidities.