Pulling this over from Cartier-RIP Red Mack
by ddc (2021-04-12 12:54:11)

As I am sure many of you have, I ran into him many times at tailgates and ND "smokers." Good ND Man

I sat next to him st the 2007 Navy game. I noticed he was
by OldIrishFan  (2021-04-12 22:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wearing a Super Bowl ring. His friend introduced him as Red Mack. I immediately remembered the reference to him in Instant Replay where he went up against Ray Nietschke in the Nutcracker drill and told them so. I think I made his day. He took off his ring and let my daughter try it on. A very nice man.

In the 2008 game I sat next to another man at the Stanford game who was wearing a Super Bowl IV ring. Turns out he was the hotel manager at the hotel the Chiefs would stay at during the night before home games and he was a good friend of Hank Stram. Small world

God, he was one of "those guys". The tough SOB's you loved. *
by other_guy  (2021-04-12 22:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I met him at my HS HOF ceremony a couple of years ago
by JBrock18  (2021-04-12 21:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a member already naturally and a good friend of his was getting inducted the year I was so he was there with him. He had on his Packers shirt and we talked ND a ton in the press box during the game that Friday night. I told him how my dad had told me a story of meeting him many years ago at ND at a bar on a Friday night before a game and how Red took off his Super Bowl ring and had my dad wear it around the bar all night. He immediately took off his Super Bowl ring and insisted I wear it for most of the HS game that night. I got a pretty neat picture with him while wearing it. He was a hell of a nice guy and had some great stories.

He was always at those smokers, wasn’t he?
by RocketShark  (2021-04-12 20:38:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the nicest guys you could ever meet. God rest him.

KoC smokers is where I met him *
by discNDav  (2021-04-13 08:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I met him at Sluggo's tailgate party many times
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-04-12 17:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(on the corner of St. Louis and St. Vincent) when it was still a thing. What a character - he was generous with his time and stories with everyone in attendance, and he always took the time to say hello to everyone whether he knew them or not. He always came with a stack of his football cards and a Sharpie to hand out autographs to anyone who he interacted with. He clearly loved Notre Dame, and performed his role as an ambassador dutifully. God bless, Red. Notre Dame lost a good man.

Had to love Club Slug
by Killian  (2021-04-13 13:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure we crossed paths there. My dad was there pretty regularly.

I knew someone who played with him at Notre Dame
by jt  (2021-04-12 13:04:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"that guy was out of his mind, totally crazy; absolutely loved being on the 'suicide squad' (nickname for the special teams unit)."

That was said with admiration, by the way.

One tough guy
by ddc  (2021-04-12 13:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As this write-up highlights

Just looking at him, particularly in civilian clothes, you'd
by SWPaDem  (2021-04-12 13:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

never get the impression he was a maniac on the field. And I mean this in a good way.