NCAA to allow transfers to play without sitting out a season
by wiNDycityfan (2021-04-14 22:41:34)
Edited on 2021-04-14 22:42:22

Starting next season, college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.

Recruiting for Kelly just became a little bit more complicated.

If this doesn’t take down Alabama’s reign of 5-star stockpiling I don’t know what will. Conversely, they can come at anybody, poach and build a Pro Bowl-caliber team of college athletes.

College sports is done as we knew it.

You already see that some schools never stop recruiting
by 1978Irish  (2021-04-15 17:26:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players even after they commit to a school. ND has lost players that committed to it but had another school continuing to contact the player through intermediaries up until they played their first game for ND and maybe afterwards.

I have mixed feelings about this decision...
by Irisharab  (2021-04-15 16:01:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree in principle with what Andy said below... a student-athlete should be committing to a school, not a team or coach (or even a position). That's the ideal, but sadly, it's often not the case anymore.

But I also look at the fact that ND has both a football coach and a men's basketball coach who are getting closer to retirement. That can be an issue when it comes to recruiting. Some athletes will be reluctant to commit to a school knowing that a coaching change during their time at the school is likely (or imminent).

If a really good football recruit really likes ND's current coaching staff, the new rule will give them the confidence that if Kelly retires (or Freeman gets a head coaching position elsewhere), the player has the option of leaving ND if the school hires bad replacements.

Also... it puts pressure on schools to make quality coaching hires. If ND hires another Davie/Willingham/Weis, who then brings in bad assistants, the school risks the possibility of players transferring en masse.

I also could see if players like a particular coach
by pmoose  (2021-04-16 09:55:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that coach leaves for another school, the players could follow that coach to the other school (at least to an extent).

I agree with your first statement too.

All that stated, it is hard for a recruit to know how he is going to like a school from just one recruiting visit. I would venture a guess that recruiting visits at most schools give the player practically no idea what the school is like on a typical, non-football weekend, and whether that fits with what they're looking for... That's why I think the rule, while it has it's warts, is a net positive for the student-athlete.

Not just a 1 time covid related thing?
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-04-15 12:23:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As in this will be a staple of college athletics moving forward?

yes
by tmr779  (2021-04-15 12:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some refer to it as the one-time rule: a student-athlete can transfer once before graduating without sitting out. Think every NCAA Division I sport had this in place except men's and women's basketball, football, men's hockey and mbe baseball. Now it applies across all Division I sports

At least there's the one time rule added to it.
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-04-15 14:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also feel like they should add one that this only applies once you complete 2 years at the university in good standing. I think a lot of kids could just be feeling homesick after their first year and make too quick of a decision based on that alone.

In some ways I could see this as a plus for ND: "hey, if you're worried you won't like it here, just give it a couple years, if it's not for you, you can always go back to the south and play for your local SEC team."

But yeah, far more likely to hurt ND than not as things currently stand IMO.

As a 25 year D3 coach I applaud this
by nannywarth  (2021-04-15 09:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Students athletes transfer at D3 all the time, and because there are no scholarships involved it is usually for reasons that include athletics, but also includes lots of other factors. I do not see how it serves the "student-athlete" to penalize them for transferring once to a better academic-athletic situation. It will cause upheaval for coaches and schools that are used to the old way of doing things, but be aware this has been happening forever with student-athletes who don't have scholarships at D3. In my eyes it makes the student-athlete experience closer to a regular students experience.

I am aware that football and basketball students generally do NOT live the regular student experience and that they are responsible for making millions of dollars for their schools. I don't believe that should be an overriding concern in the rules that the NCAA makes.

the idea is that you commit to a school and not to a team
by ACross  (2021-04-15 12:17:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or a coach.

Says who?
by Chicagond99  (2021-04-15 16:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA has been taking advantage of "student athletes" for years. It's about time they get some rights back. I think a one time transfer without sitting out is very fair.

Now if we can just let these players make money off their own image and likeness, that would really be a step in the right direction.

Why can’t it be both? *
by nd67  (2021-04-15 16:05:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s about time players are able to move freely
by Chicagond99  (2021-04-14 23:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just like coaches can. If these guys truly are “student” athletes, they should be able to transfer just like any other student can.

this is another rule that will end up favoring the schools
by jt  (2021-04-15 12:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and IMO will lead to more problems down the line.

College sports should never have been used to be a de facto minor league.

I agree. As soon as a player from a lower level Div 1
by 84david  (2021-04-15 16:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

school has a good year, they will be encouraged to be recruited (through the portal)to an elite school for the next year. The rich again will get richer.

Could worsen oversigning
by Nathan  (2021-04-15 16:31:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which would lead to more transfers, which would lead to more oversigning. And more “roster management “ as players can lbe politely pushed out.

excellent insights as always. *
by ACross  (2021-04-15 12:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you! *
by Chicagond99  (2021-04-15 16:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ve always been able to transfer...
by Nathan  (2021-04-14 23:09:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“just like any other student can.”

Do geometry students have to sit out a year
by TerryD  (2021-04-15 07:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..if they transfer to another school?

Cosine. *
by tdiddy07  (2021-04-15 09:09:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t worry about them. They always have an angle to use *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-04-15 08:58:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How could you be so obtuse? *
by ribs  (2021-04-15 09:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seem to have an acute sensitivity to the topic *
by pmoose  (2021-04-16 11:32:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. *
by ribs  (2021-04-16 14:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are so right. *
by SWPaDem  (2021-04-15 09:32:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course not. They enter the geometry portal
by Nathan  (2021-04-15 08:52:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And see who recruits them. And if they aren’t happy they return. Just like everyone else.

No, as they would be freshman or sophomores in high school *
by Moff  (2021-04-15 07:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What about trigonometry?
by SWPaDem  (2021-04-15 08:20:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know much trigonometry.