If Harry Oliver had had a Venmo account when he beat MI,
by Endthecursein05 (2021-04-15 09:05:52)

would you have sent him a little something, you know for the effort?

I saw where Gus Malzhan had players twitter handles on their jerseys instead of their last names for the spring game this past weekend (should be IG and not twitter but I digress). With Name, Image, and likeness about to become more of an issue in college sports, I would be curious how much a player could make from one play or event in a game? I am not opposed to college players making money, but it does open up a ton of questions and scenarios, not to mention that it should have a big impact on recruiting. With the rule change of not having to sit a year, the ability to profit off of your name/ability while still in college I think will have a big impact on rosters.

We read too many times about athletes, college and pro, getting death threats when they do something that costs their team a game, but how many drunk or just plain crazy fans will be tipping the kid who wins the game against a hated rival $20 for making their day?

If you haven't heard Ufer's (UM) call, gotta listen . . . (link)
by other_guy  (2021-04-16 19:37:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at that game
by Denver Jim  (2021-04-16 13:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sitting high up in the north end zone. When that kick went through it was the loudest single roar I have ever heard in the stadium. People were hugging strangers, crying. It was unbelievable. And I was at the Miami game, which was the best, most intense game I ever attended. The Terrell knock down was a close second.

But in '80 there was a jerk Ohio State fan sitting a couple of rows in front of us in a red jacket. He pretended to want ND to win saying he hated Michigan etc. He talked the whole damn game, a typical 'the" asswipe. Then when Michigan went ahead with something like 46 seconds left he turned around yelling and doing a mocking sign of the cross over and over again and yelling at 'You papists" or something like that.

When the kick went through, after I finished hugging some guys wife or girlfriend, we look down and that guy was running down the steps at full speed. People were yelling at him but you couldn't hear it was so loud. Great memory.

I heard a story in the last 24 hours of a pro athlete whose
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-04-15 18:26:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Twitter account became unusable because he got blown up after he had blown a save or something like that and the software couldn't handle all the (negative) tweets that had rolled in.

If I was in major college athletics, I'd be off Twitter altogether, what with too many crazy gamblers and drunken fans out there.

Drunken fans? Where did you get that concept? 😇 *
by Homeboy73  (2021-04-15 19:58:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harry O, winning FG against UM, Greatest game I ever....
by ND Harvey  (2021-04-15 15:15:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Witness Live @ Notre Dame Stadium, and their has been many....Go IRISH!!!!

“Hey, the flags have dropped! My God the Wind is gone!!!!”
by Frank Drebin  (2021-04-15 18:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My roommate was screaming that into my ear as just as Harry’s foot was kicking the ball. The rest was a blur as three rows of classmates were on top of each other in the stands. Probably greatest post game party atmosphere that I ever experienced on campus during my time there. Photo of Harry’s kick is framed in my office which seemed to summed up four glorious years out there.

"three rows of classmates"
by tpm81  (2021-04-15 19:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or 30, but very true, as is your comment about the post game atmosphere

michigan-27 Notre Dame-26 God-3 *
by gmb66  (2021-04-15 17:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harry O
by drbillyc  (2021-04-15 17:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For a ear to ear grin, tune in and listen to former Michigan announcer Bob Uber mistakenly and then dejectedly announce the play and the score
Here is the radio broadcast URL
78 grad, firstND game date with my future wife

One of Tony Roberts' best calls too
by ribs  (2021-04-15 16:20:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First time I heard it was watching Wake Up the Echoes in the early 80's. Probably seen or heard it hundreds of times since then.

C'mon Harv. Were you not at the '88 Miami game?
by 512  (2021-04-15 15:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or did you and the boys watch that at Deans.

Though in all seriousness, Harry O's kick is for sure on the Mt. Rushmore of greatest ND wins.

His passing was a blow. Great ND man.

YES, I was @ the Miami Game, Happy O still ranks #1 to me *
by ND Harvey  (2021-04-18 11:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at both, and so was Harry Oliver
by knutesteen  (2021-04-15 19:24:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1980 Harry Oliver as a junior, 10/15/88 as an alum. Coincidentally, we partied in the backyard of Senior Bar/Bank on 10/15/88 with, among others, none other than Harry O! The celebration escalated or degraded, depending on your point of view, with all of us throwing beer to the sounds of AC/DC. Good times, and RIP Harry O.

Great story man. *
by 512  (2021-04-15 22:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And all true.
by Knutesteen  (2021-04-15 23:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can visualize it now as I watch KVUE news. He was a friendly, great guy.

people are missing the forest through the trees
by jt  (2021-04-15 12:24:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Of course players should be able to profit off of their name, image, and likeness.

2) Of course they should not be compensated by the school; they have a scholarship to serve as compensation.

3) This idea that the transfer portal and the 1 time transfer without having to sit out are things that benefit the player is a laughable concept. This clearly tilts things even more in favor of the schools, and specifically lazy recruiters and/or guys who don't have the time/energy/inclination to recruit high school kids and develop them. Right now there are close to 3,000 kids in the portal and I believe that represents 25% (or more) of available D1 scholarships. There is no way that there will be room for everyone to get a scholarship, and therefore guys are going to get squeezed.

4) All of these things bringing "free agency" close to reality for players basically enhances the advantages the schools have. Certain players/teams/positions will still make the majority of the money and it will be even easier to run kids off than ever before (encouraging kids to enter the portal, etc.).

Agree with all of this *
by garbageplate  (2021-04-15 17:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On your third point
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 12:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you, but for different reasons.

According to people that track the data, there are more players going from P5 to G5 than from G5 to P5. Considering the small sample size, I would say that definitely has held true at Notre Dame--we've had many guys transfer out to smaller programs, while we have only brought a handful of guys in from P5 programs.

What I think the big schools are doing is using the transfer portal to manage players off the roster, while backfilling them with incoming recruits. Some programs, such as Houston, are definitely going to use the transfer portal as a de facto waiver wire (to get better faster), but I don't think we are seeing too many cases of that across the country.

while I don't disagree
by jt  (2021-04-15 13:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and in fact would have a few recent examples to share if you want, I think that changing the rules to allow for a one time transfer without sitting out without having to have graduated will change things.

Schools like Notre Dame can and will pick and choose, but I can see adding a qb every few years, or a wr here or there, or a pass rusher on defense.

If I were a college athlete and allowed to do it, I sure as
by potatohouse  (2021-04-15 09:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hell would. The day Name, Image, and Likeness gets a green light, all of these guys (and girls) should openly advertise some sort of donation/payment seeking portal. If OnlyFans and the like have taught us anything, it's that the earning potential of captive audience x low cost is absolutely bonkers for even "non famous" individuals. It's like we're living out the real life thought experiment of "what if I could just get every person to send me $1?"

I'd be shocked if multiple OF/Patreon equivalents tailored specifically to amateur athletes don't emerge. It's not a direct parallel because it wouldn't be a service relationship based on directly creating content, but a lot of fan interaction that is currently being given away for free via twitter, IG, etc. could become gently paywalled. And then as you say, the potential for unsolicited donation or tipping becomes very real. Assuming I'd been sober enough to wrangle the app on my phone, Max Redfield would absolutely have taken $20 out of my wallet when he decapitated Devin Gardner at the end of 37-0.

I'll pass on the gratuity...... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-04-15 09:43:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're not gratutiies, they're "blessings" apparently
by notra_dahm  (2021-04-15 13:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NC waitress receives $10,000 cash tip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJmwankZJ5U

Great story .....great the way she carved it up also..... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-04-15 16:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post