If I were a college athlete and allowed to do it, I sure as
by potatohouse (2021-04-15 09:57:37)

In reply to: If Harry Oliver had had a Venmo account when he beat MI,  posted by Endthecursein05

hell would. The day Name, Image, and Likeness gets a green light, all of these guys (and girls) should openly advertise some sort of donation/payment seeking portal. If OnlyFans and the like have taught us anything, it's that the earning potential of captive audience x low cost is absolutely bonkers for even "non famous" individuals. It's like we're living out the real life thought experiment of "what if I could just get every person to send me $1?"

I'd be shocked if multiple OF/Patreon equivalents tailored specifically to amateur athletes don't emerge. It's not a direct parallel because it wouldn't be a service relationship based on directly creating content, but a lot of fan interaction that is currently being given away for free via twitter, IG, etc. could become gently paywalled. And then as you say, the potential for unsolicited donation or tipping becomes very real. Assuming I'd been sober enough to wrangle the app on my phone, Max Redfield would absolutely have taken $20 out of my wallet when he decapitated Devin Gardner at the end of 37-0.