Big 12 going after ESPN
by jt (2021-07-28 21:05:11)
Edited on 2021-07-28 21:09:47

ESPN is a pox on organized sport *
by garbageplate  (2021-07-29 16:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When they shows sports.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-07-30 16:30:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of the time it's bobble heads yelling at each other.

I actually think every B12 team should call in sick for
by irish2x  (2021-07-29 11:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their games against OU and UT this year.

Just the games in Norman and Austin. Make them play
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-29 16:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all of their road games still.

You know what? I believe him.
by gordonbombay  (2021-07-29 10:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know outside reaction will be and is that he's just having a temper tantrum, but that can be true and he can still be right.

2 of the 3 biggest brands FOX has a deal with (the other being Ohio State) jumping over to the SEC right after ESPN locked down the entire league's rights, with ESPN then encouraging another league they wholly own (AAC) to go after the rest to dissolve the B12's media contracts and enrich ESPN further? I actually do buy that.

Another added benefit if Big 12 dissolves...
by Queensman  (2021-07-29 11:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If somehow ESPN can get the AAC to absorb some of the other Big 12 teams and the Big 12 goes belly up, then TX and OU can join the SEC immediately without an early termination fee.

Right now, TX and OU are claiming that they are going to stay in the Big 12 until the grant of rights contract expires in 2024/2025. That's bullshit. It will completely torpedo recruiting for the next 2-3 years minimum. However, their early termination penalty is something like $150 million. Their best bet is for the Big 12 would dissolve and the whole problem goes away.

So yes, I completely agree with you and the Big 12. ESPN's fingerprints are all over this.

Another person who should be going into his AD's office and demanding a contract extension right now....Steve Sarkisian. You mean to tell me I'm just get started here and I have to coach a lame duck program for the first 4 years of my contract??? Bullshit...I need some guarantees.

Is it too late for the Big East to join in on a lawsuit? /s *
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-29 10:08:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Denials abound this morning on ESPN sportcenter
by 84david  (2021-07-29 08:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was their lead story this morning. Not the Olympics, MLB trades, NFL training camp, or the NBA draft.

ESPN controls the narrative on sports like no other entity.

Narrative *
by ACross  (2021-07-29 10:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are pure as the driven snow
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-29 09:26:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the narrative

No bias at all, I'm sure.

"Driven Snow" (link)
by discNDav  (2021-07-29 09:38:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should NEVER have been allowed to sponsor or
by drmurray  (2021-07-29 09:34:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

promote any specific team or teams. That is the definition of conflict of interest.

Like Michigan, they suck.

Their ownership of all the bowl games isn't kosher either *
by Irish Warrior  (2021-07-29 10:24:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN was behind the whole Super League in Europe as well. *
by ironcityirish  (2021-07-29 01:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Davie blamed ESPN
by drmurray  (2021-07-29 14:08:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that bastard

And the Kennedy assassination *
by Irish Warrior  (2021-07-29 10:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, that was Obama. *
by Los Irish  (2021-07-29 12:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'd be convenient if that were true
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-07-29 09:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the Super League was mostly driven by the owners of the clubs.

And JP Morgan *
by iudomer  (2021-07-29 11:01:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Batteries?
by Siegfried08  (2021-07-29 09:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty plugged in to that world, and I've literally never heard that. Source?

Good. It probably won't save the sport, but at least
by ndhouston  (2021-07-29 01:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the truth about their manipulations is getting out there.

I really don't see how college football will survive this era. Most of the best athletes now realize that American football is, at best, a 2nd tier sport in the global pantheon of sports. If I were a great athlete in high school I would focus on basketball, soccer, or baseball. All three have significantly higher earnings ceilings than American football, with far less injury risk.

Funny fact: even pro cricket has a higher average salary than the average NFL player. The Mumbai Indians of the India Premier League (cricket) had an average salary of > $5M/player in 2019. The current NFL salary cap is $200m for a 53-man roster, or just under $4M/player.

American football is not keeping pace with other sports. Budding pro athletes would do well to notice this.

We need a “hates America” board.
by airborneirish  (2021-07-31 10:08:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it would be popular.

Odd reaction
by ndhouston  (2021-07-31 17:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't hate either America or college football. In fact I am a fan of both.

That does not change the reality that football has stagnated economically when compared to other sports.

And to be clear, this has been a consistent concern. I was against the stadium expansion in the 90s. I feared that it was throwing his money after bad. I don't think that my initial reaction was wrong.

If college football doesn’t survive
by NDTommie  (2021-07-29 12:31:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be because the business model completely outgrew the original structure of the sport.

It will not be because of global popularity…

You know what we call "American football" here? Football.
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-29 10:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Americans don't give a crap about cricket (which I would be has a much smaller roster size than the NFL, but I don't care about it enough to look it up) nor do we give a shit about soccer.

Rest assured that if we as a country did though, we'd be the best at it. Who gives a shit how football is doing globally? It's still by far the #1 sport here, and people tune in to watch the Super Bowl around the world.

What a very weird tangent to take this thread into, and you do it here of all places?

My criticism is about the economic model
by ndhouston  (2021-07-29 13:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too many players, too few games to keep up with other sports financially.

I just threw the cricket part in a a rather surprise comparison. Baseball and basketball have much higher earning potential in the US anyway.

So you think college football and football in general
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-29 13:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is hurting economically?

Football has, on average, the highest risk and lowest reward
by ndhouston  (2021-07-29 18:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of any major sport. To your point, they aren't hurting, but other sports are doing better.

Social elites like to hate on football as a way to show
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-29 11:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

each other how much better they are than us knuckle dragging rubes.

EDIT: Just want to add, I'm not lumping ndhouston in with the "social elites" I reference above, and honestly, I think your reaction to him was a bit too much. I think he's clearly letting his European perspective skew his opinion, but I didn't get the sense he was trying to be anti-football.

eh, ndhouston's post was terrible
by jt  (2021-07-29 14:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it deserved the mocking.

I had one up last night but had to go to bed and didn't want to post and run so I deleted it.

It is just an awful post.

Fair, I toned things down a bit. But ridiculous whatabout-
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-29 13:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ism was abound above and it definitely miffed me. It was a strange direction to dovetail the whole thread... yeah, cricket in Mumbai will take down the NFL.

Go back to the soccer board
by Otter  (2021-07-29 09:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't turn a discussion of ESPN into "American football" is a second rate sport.

They'll be throwing dirt on both of us before soccer or cricket is mainstream in the USA.

CTE may take down football in this country eventually, but other sports won't.

Wait, you don't think cricket will catch on here?....
by Marine Domer  (2021-07-29 10:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or that top American athletes will look to move to Mumbai for the money? The rest of the world loves soccer because it's cheap to play and they don't have Football.

Next up: his preference for European economic systems *
by Freight Train  (2021-07-29 12:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tax systems, health systems, men’s fashion, wurst *
by ACross  (2021-07-29 21:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football already does lose athletes to other sports because
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-29 06:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the factors you mention. It may accelerate, but I don't see it having any sort of significant effect on the game. I think the bigger issue is that due to CTE and the perceived toxic masculinity of the sport, a lot of parents don't want to let their kids play football anymore, particularly in middle class and affluent parts of blue America. Because of that, I can see football beginning to skew even poorer and more southeastern than it already does. I think it could end up being somewhat similar to hockey, but bigger obviously, in the sense that football will likely be followed nationally at the professional level but really only played regionally at a high amateur level.

From a college football standpoint, I think this clearly most affects the Pac 12. HS Football participation in California is declining at a time when overall HS sports participation is increasing. Missing a year for covid may just accelerate this decline. USC is always only a coach away from winning NCs, but beyond that, I'm really not bullish on the Pac 12 top-to-bottom being able to match the SEC or Big10 in terms of quality anytime soon.

There’s 200 players in the IPL
by DakotaDomer  (2021-07-29 02:28:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I feel like using the average salary for a 200 player league (and you used the average of the most valuable franchise) vs a 1600 player league is unfair.

Plus playing silly mid on deserves a bonus
by SixShutouts66  (2021-07-29 16:22:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For those unaware of cricket lingo, he's your "third baseman" playing for the bunt when Aaron Judge is batting. The silly mid off is the "first baseman" in the same situation. In all seriousness a couple of high level cricketers have died from injuries.

and then add in 1B Indians vs. 330 MM Americans
by Freight Train  (2021-07-29 12:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the market sizes (demand) well exceed the supply of pro cricketeers.

The Mumbai Indians should change their name
by GoonSquad  (2021-07-29 02:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Offensive

When is College Gameday coming to Big 12 country next? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-07-28 22:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right, as after OU and UT leave any of those schools will
by DomerJon  (2021-07-28 22:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have much of a choice.

Worst held secret in media is ESPN plays overlord
by ryND  (2021-07-28 21:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with these conferences. Gonna be a long, uncomfortable four years.

I wish we could blow the entire thing up
by Ty Webb  (2021-07-28 22:43:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get rid of the super conferences, dump the playoffs, etc.

This is an utter shit show that is a train about to go over a cliff.

Not happening - the genie is long out of the bottle. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-07-28 22:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes it is, the power 5 (hate that name) will
by ryND  (2021-07-28 22:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

break away from the NCAA and set up their own rules. The playoff will expand and conferences will also. Interesting times.

Break away and start our...
by bill_brasky  (2021-07-29 08:31:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

own version of the NCAA. Genius!

Sounds bland and artificial
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-28 23:20:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I am in the "blow up it crowd" though I'm not sure what that looks like either.

Local Youngstown St football and 1-AA football is looking more appealing by the moment

FCS
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-07-28 23:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Youngstown is picked to finish ninth in the league this year, so don't get your hopes up.

It will always be 1-AA
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-28 23:53:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FCS is dumb.

The Penguins will surprise. Stone

But hasn't ESPN been steadily losing money and subscribers?
by TCIrish03  (2021-07-28 22:22:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know how much longer it will take, but it seems like the bubble will have to burst soon once the market is saturated and interest in football starts to plateau or even wane.

Yes, extensively. But their streaming services seem to be
by ryND  (2021-07-28 22:24:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doing well. Cable model is all but dead.

Until it’s reinvented in a few years.
by mocopdx  (2021-07-28 22:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of these streaming services are going to cost more than what cable was, very soon. Pretty soon someone will say “hey come to us, you can get the channels you want for one affordable flat fee in a monthly package!”

It’s exactly what Uber/Lyft are doing with the taxi industry right now.

Glad they are being exposed
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-28 22:18:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I' have never trusted their reporting as being objective. They really damaged the sport

It's not going to last that long
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-07-28 21:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is all going to come to a head this season. They're going whole hog toward the professionalization of the sport and it's over as we know it.

Oh yeah, hell is gonna break loose. *
by ryND  (2021-07-28 21:55:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post