Non-SEC/B1G realignment
by VaDblDmr (2021-07-29 23:32:25)

Looking at the non-bottom-feeding members of the ACC, Pac-12, (remaining) Big XII, and BYU leaves the 27 schools listed below. If I had a stake in the future of college football, I'd be mulling over ways to align them for football purposes.

While I understand that the existing ACC grant of rights could be an impediment, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there are ways to subvert that, both from the ACC's side and from ESPN's, if either or both so desire. So for the purpose of considering realignment, I'd put that issue to the side.

Any ideas, particularly that might be in ND's interest?

Clemson
Florida State
Washington
USC
Virginia Tech
UCLA
BYU
NC State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Texas Tech
Miami
Oregon
Oklahoma State
Kansas State
Louisville
Arizona State
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Baylor
TCU
California
Stanford
Pitt

If ND were to lead a new conference, 9 teams max
by k-rock  (2021-07-30 12:14:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame, Clemson, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Washington, BYU If Ohio State wants to join, drop Washington or BYU.
No Conference championship games and negotiate 2 automatic playoff births.

That would be a hell of a conference…
by Irishdemon  (2021-07-31 16:06:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… in both a good and bad way.

Smells like at least two losses a year for everybody.

But if it had two automatic playoffs bids, so be it.

If Jack does nothing , the SEC takes Clemson, FSU and Miami
by k-rock  (2021-08-01 13:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IF ND tries to remain independent they will have to schedule more games from a weakened ACC. Since Texas appears out of the picture now, I would approach Ohio State. Ohio State is getting screwed now having to share money with the bottom feeders of the Big Ten and they would lose their identity (like ND) if they joined the SEC. If Ohio State and ND formed a small power conference with 7 other top teams, they can probably pull in the same TV money (per team average) as the SEC. With this type of power conference, in a future 8 team playoff you can negotiate to get 3 teams in, no need to have a conference championship game, the 3 teams with the top conference records get in.

Jack isn't going to do jack.
by SWPaDem  (2021-08-01 15:59:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He really hasn't done anything in the past to secure our independence, I guess unless you want to call agreeing to a 5+ football game commitment to the ACC well into the 2030s along with supplementing these moribund games with one and now two "buy" games securing our independence. Why would he start now? He was hired to "monitor the landscape" along with monetizing whatever else he could and that's it. Proactively taking measures to secure our independence is not how he operates. Not at a measly $3 million per.

Oh, he'll stick his finger in the air after a swig of WhistlePig and misread what's going on - he's not exactly an expert in gauging atmospheric conditions - until it's too late to be a player and take what's given him, if you know what I mean. Do it two times and it's a tradition.

He's been a terrible hire for those who long for the glory days of what Notre Dame Football once was. We could have been a leader; we could have been a contender; instead we're a two-bit pretender plying our trade on the most hallowed artificial turf in all of college football.

Instead, Jack fancied himself an architect of a would-be 12-team playoff scenario while Rome was set to burn.

ND hasn’t been a leader in anything
by 84david  (2021-07-31 11:02:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for 25 years

Probably closer to 35 *
by NDBob  (2021-07-31 12:03:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be work for our Director of Athletics.
by SWPaDem  (2021-07-30 12:51:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Monitoring landscapes and jumping in with both feet is so much easier.

Just get it over with and create one big conference
by DBCooper  (2021-07-30 11:49:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of say 40 or 50 teams. Then split them up into geographic areas. I think 5 divisions of 8 to 10 teams makes sense. You can even name them by the geographic area they represent like the West 10, Gulf 10, Midwest 10, South 10 and East 10.

They then play each other once with a few non conference games. The top 2 teams move forward to the playoffs, or you can do something like the winner of each division plays another winner in a big game on a major holiday. You could get those games sponsored or come up with colorful names for the big games.

Eventually when some other schools prove themselves you can add them to these new Strong 5 conferences. Say to 12 at times sounds about right.

It will be glorious.

that's the direction that they're heading in
by jt  (2021-07-31 12:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish that it hadn't come to this, but it's hard to deny that's where it is going. The big question seems to be if it will be inside the NCAA or if those schools will leave, and if they leave will it just be for football or will it be for all sports.

I have no interest in that *
by ACross  (2021-07-31 11:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was mostly being sarcastic
by DBCooper  (2021-07-31 14:20:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like we are heading to one big conference. It will be ironic when that big conference is broken up into geographic regions, which is what we had originally.

the complete lack of central oversight
by jt  (2021-07-31 15:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has really hurt college football in particular.

You've got regional refs, teams from different regions with little to no commonality, a complete joke of oversight by the NCAA which is basically toothless against the power programs, etc.

Teams have basically done things their own way for over 100 years based on their regional focus. If they're going to have one conference (whether it is the current NCAA or a super conference) they need to have a cohesive management structure and oversight.

Add in a relegation system as well
by IrishTrpt07  (2021-07-30 17:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then Georgia St can knock Tennessee out, and when Tenn gets their 7th coach in 12 years they can win their way back up.

just over here monitoring the landscape
by jt  (2021-07-30 00:11:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the dye is cast; there will be massive changes coming, it is just a matter of when. The center cannot hold in the current situation.

I like the Big XII's approach
by ndtnguy  (2021-07-31 17:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sue ESPN to put a stop to the nonsense.

I agree, but who's deciding what it's going to look like?
by VaDblDmr  (2021-07-30 00:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know, I know, the easy answer is "ESPN," but Fox has a say in that if nothing else. So that can't be the only answer.

the gap between power programs and non power programs
by jt  (2021-07-30 00:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is too large. I'm even referring to teams in the power 5 conferences; for example, last spring Colorado lost their head coach (who had a losing record in his only year with the team, I believe) to Michigan State pretty much only because MSU (a middle of the road Big 10 team) was able to double his salary and double his assistants salary.

Now, look at that and then compare Alabama to just about anyone. In order for the game to survive at this point, either you need to make the middle teams better or you need to cut off the bottom 75% of teams or so and create a super league. I personally believe that they were on their way to doing that prior to covid and then things got messed up. Now with the name, image and likeness deals coming through, the gap will just continue to grow and teams and players alike will embrace the concept of "roster management" with transfers (coming in and leaving) becoming even more common and guys going to places where they can get the best deals.

It's pretty much over, IMO. And please keep in mind that this isn't something that I support and I personally think that a school like Notre Dame could have really made a difference in leading instead of monitoring the landscape. About 30 years ago, there was an opportunity when the TV contracts started exploding to really lock things in, figure out how to fairly promote the players and get them some above the table payments for NIL, set some groundwork for equity and fairness, and get rid of the wild west atmosphere and cash grab that started going on with schools jumping conferences, etc. Instead, we just sat back and basically half ass things with an "independent" schedule that pretty much consists of ACC games and directional schools stuffed in between games with Stanford, Sc, and Navy. It's garbage.

I think that the schools themselves will be the ones to drive the change, because they will start to realize that having so many non-competitive teams just means that they have to split "their" money with the deadbeat programs, and they'll resent it.

The current system lets a bunch of those middling P5 schools
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 09:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

think they have good programs. Iowa and Wisconsin, for example, can schedule two guaranteed OOC wins and play 2-3 guaranteed wins in conference. If they can then go .500 in their 5 or 6 competitive games and occasionally upset one of the big boys, then they're winning 8-10 games every year and playing in bowl games. The fans are happy and will continue packing the stadium and turning on their TVs. My question is once there's a super league and Iowa and Wisconsin basically cap out at .500 ever year, are their fan bases going to slowly degrade? It won't be like the pros where bad teams get an infusion of excitement via draft picks.

Our scheduling approach is indistinguishable *
by ACross  (2021-07-30 21:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're basically a conference member
by jt  (2021-07-30 21:46:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack out here trying to see if you can in fact get just a little bit pregnant.

You mean like one halfway in the oven. *
by SWPaDem  (2021-07-31 08:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just the tip *
by IrishLep  (2021-07-31 08:41:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still counts *
by ndstein04  (2021-07-31 21:45:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

allegedly (at least as it relates to Swarbrick) *
by jt  (2021-07-31 15:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack wanted to see how it felt *
by IrishLep  (2021-07-31 19:31:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nobody would care if we would of won more games *
by jt  (2021-08-01 23:14:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But isn't it likely that if the new "super" division were,
by VaDblDmr  (2021-07-30 19:29:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

say, 48 teams, that the #48 team would likely be better than it is now because all the recruits that are currently divided up among 65 major conference and/or 130 FBS teams would now be condensed into 48 teams? Alabama isn't going to get better, but they will have a much tougher time winning 90% of the time like they do now.

In a nutshell, won't much more parity be the likely result? I tend to think that in the long run that's a net positive.

I see fewer 15-0, 14-1 type of seasons, but I don't see more
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 20:32:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

parity in regards to the final standings and who wins championships. There will be no draft or salary cap to promote parity. Like I said below, in the NFL Trevor Lawrence goes to the worst team. In college, Trevor Lawrence goes to the best team and keeps them as the best team.

I think you are referring to Michigan, not Wisconsin *
by fontoknow  (2021-07-30 09:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 130+ years of college football, Wisconsin has literally
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 10:17:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

never entered New Year's day being relevant to the national championship discussion, yet the numerous Wisconsin alumni I work with are quite proud, and in some cases even cocky, about their program because the current system leads them to believe they have an elite program. That aint happening in a 40-50 team super league.

I know the point of your post was to rip on Michigan, which is always a worthwhile endeavor. I just happen to work with a ton of Wiscy grads, so I couldn't let it pass.

I think the national championship focus has hurt the equity
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-30 10:45:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And ultimately the sport.

It seems the sport was in a better place when you just played your schedule and let the AP decide who was the mythical national champion. It wasn't perfect, but it was interesting and it allowed tier 2 programs to sneak in a National Championship .

There was always a bit an arms competition , but that arms race exploded in the past decade--in large part with trying to keep up with the SEC. The salary structure/budgets from 2010 to 2021 aren't even close. For instance, OSU's coordinators were making 300k in 2010 vs 2+MM with a much larger coaching staff in 2021?

Nonsense. Big two and little eight ring any bells?
by cmhirish  (2021-07-31 10:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Correlation is not causation.

That was mostly a 70s thing
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-31 14:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plenty of the "little 8" teams made the Rose Bowl.

Iowa, Illinois , Wisconsin, Northwestern Michigan State all made it to the Rose Bowl in 80s and 90. They were national championship contenders for a for a brief moment. Such teams have less chance in this playoff system. That is not just correlation. They are not set up to compete with the heavy weights through a playoff

The 60s were even more balanced competitively.

Michigan was able to win a National championship too. Not likely to happen now.

Learn some history.

1000% agree with you
by sullivan79  (2021-07-30 11:24:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who really gives a crap if there is an "undisputed" national champion? It made for more discussion and interest in the entire system. The bowls were more fun, New Years Day was more fun, the other bowls were more interesting. Hell, I don't even watch any bowl games anymore unless ND is playing. Give me the days when there was a split national champion. I have despised the BCS and playoff that added the final games to the mix.

* In the 20 years before the BCS started there were only 4 years when there was a so-called split national champion.

Agreed.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 11:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When TV coverage started to explode in the early 2000s, I thought it might be a really good thing for ND. I thought we were entering a world where due to almost infinite TV exposure the Ohio States of the world would become indistinguishable from the Iowas, which would make Notre Dame standout more as being a truly unique option for players. Instead, due to the NC focus, it's gone the other way. We have 3 super teams and then a big drop off to everyone else.

the "arms" and facilities race didn't just heat up in the
by jt  (2021-07-30 11:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

last 10 years, as you state, it started heating up in the late 90s and accelerated in the early 00's and is a train off the tracks now.

The NC versus bowls didn't have anything to do with it
by NDAtty  (2021-07-30 11:37:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other than the additional money of the playoffs. Schools and conferences would have still sought as much money as possible. Coaches would still have sought higher salaries. Players would still be entitled to and look to maximize NIL.

What party wouldn't have done these things if there was an AP national champion rather than playoff? Schools wouldn't have tried to maximize TV deals? Assistant coaches wouldn't jump at million-dollar offers?

The Knight Commision addressed these issues
by ACross  (2021-07-30 20:22:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And stressed the primacy of academic mission and amateurism.

I'm not sure why this response is directed at me *
by jt  (2021-07-30 12:27:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't mean to direct at you. Just adding to the sub-thread *
by NDAtty  (2021-07-31 10:48:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no big deal
by jt  (2021-07-31 12:00:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was just wondering where it came from.

It certainly contributed. Alabama drives the market
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2021-07-30 11:59:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which in turn caused the handful of elites to ramp up their operations and expenditures creating a lot of inequity.

Prior to BCS/playoffs, Alabama was never a measuring stick. You were mainly focused on your schedule , rival and conference bowl opponent . This National Championship or bust mentality wasn't as prevalent.

Correlation is not causation.
by cmhirish  (2021-07-31 10:40:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban just happened to arrive during the BCS/playoff era; he's demonstrated he would have been dominant in most any era.

And inequity has always existed. Big two and little eight ring any bells?

The ramp up of operations and especially expenditures is enabled by the the selling of television rights; the selling of year-round, 24-hour network subscriptions; ever escalating ticket prices; incremental, mandatory fees that are required to obtain the rights to purchase tickets, such as "contribution models" and "building funds"; and by boosters with deep pockets.

The arms race was not enabled by the playoffs, national championship, or BCS. The arms race is fueled by those gladly willing to part with their money. There's one born every minute.

Oregon *
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-07-31 07:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe, but I think the huge media rights money
by NDAtty  (2021-07-30 13:00:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for sports is really the driving force.

The playoff was instituted because there was money to be made, time slots to fill and networks in need of programming. The playoffs were a consequence of TV money and the forces at play today rather than a cause. Just another step down that road.

BCS and CFP were a continuation away from where the sport was, but I don't think it likely they would have been held off much longer even if delayed.

Of course, I don't know.

TV money now dwarfs everything else.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 13:35:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is one reason why, for example, Nebraska holds way less sway than they did 30-40 years ago. Very few programs can sell out a bowl game the way Nebraska can. In the 80s and even the 90s that meant something. In today's world it's trivial compared to TV money, and Nebraska is only a middle of the road TV draw.

Michigan does exactly what you accused IA and WI of
by fontoknow  (2021-07-30 10:28:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they have just been doing it for longer.

They do have some titles from before the forward pass
by daviehamsufferer97  (2021-07-30 10:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was legal. Those are KIND OF like football championships.

And Michigan has been at least quasi relevant
by Tex Francisco  (2021-07-30 10:41:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the discussion a few times, even if likely undeserving such as in 97. Didn't Schembechler enter New Year's day with a chance a few times? Looking at Wikipedia, it appears they were number 2 going into the Rose Bowl in 1976 and had they won and Pitt lost, they would have won the title. Wisconsin has nothing of the kind in their history.

Don't Worry - Michigan will post a lot of Ls in a 25 team
by NDAtty  (2021-07-30 10:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

super-team structure.

As a Marquette Alum, I endorse this post, wholeheartedly! *
by Irish Warrior  (2021-07-30 10:19:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not just middling teams
by NDAtty  (2021-07-30 09:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The existing system lets lots of teams have "successful" seasons.

Are Wisconsin, Penn State and Iowa going to fill their stadiums for a bunch of .500 seasons or worse? I don't think so.

I really have no idea how things turn out, but I am not particularly optimistic or excited about it as a fan, but it's been on its way for a while. JT had a good example elsewhere in the thread - Colorado losing their coach to Michigan State. I wasn't aware of that one, but where does that landscape leave Colorado? - Nowhere with no chance.

I wonder if the powers-that-be recognize the W-L issues and will do something to maintain inflated winning percentages and the number of "successful" seasons. I'm not sure it will work if it looks too lopsided/fraudulent.

Well, on the theory that culling will happen, here's a first
by VaDblDmr  (2021-07-30 01:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stab at what that might look like using the teams on my list in the OP:

East: Clemson, Florida State, Va Tech, NC State, West Virginia, Miami, North Carolina

West: USC, UCLA, Washington, BYU, Oregon, Arizona State, Colorado, Arizona, Cal, Stanford

Everybody else gets cut.

With the Big Ten, SEC, and ND, that's 48. Any other cuts would have to come from the Big Ten and SEC.

too many have-nots on that list
by jt  (2021-07-30 10:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and there are even some "haves" that people wouldn't normally think of as haves (like Michigan State from the previous example, but also some other schools).

Also, how will they solve the issues for bringing other sports? Will there be a way for teams to "move up" from the lower division? Will they stay with the NCAA or break away?

They’re all independent and schedule each other *
by Stonebreaker9  (2021-07-29 23:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post