the gap between power programs and non power programs
by jt (2021-07-30 00:57:55)
Edited on 2021-07-30 00:58:48

In reply to: I agree, but who's deciding what it's going to look like?  posted by VaDblDmr

is too large. I'm even referring to teams in the power 5 conferences; for example, last spring Colorado lost their head coach (who had a losing record in his only year with the team, I believe) to Michigan State pretty much only because MSU (a middle of the road Big 10 team) was able to double his salary and double his assistants salary.

Now, look at that and then compare Alabama to just about anyone. In order for the game to survive at this point, either you need to make the middle teams better or you need to cut off the bottom 75% of teams or so and create a super league. I personally believe that they were on their way to doing that prior to covid and then things got messed up. Now with the name, image and likeness deals coming through, the gap will just continue to grow and teams and players alike will embrace the concept of "roster management" with transfers (coming in and leaving) becoming even more common and guys going to places where they can get the best deals.

It's pretty much over, IMO. And please keep in mind that this isn't something that I support and I personally think that a school like Notre Dame could have really made a difference in leading instead of monitoring the landscape. About 30 years ago, there was an opportunity when the TV contracts started exploding to really lock things in, figure out how to fairly promote the players and get them some above the table payments for NIL, set some groundwork for equity and fairness, and get rid of the wild west atmosphere and cash grab that started going on with schools jumping conferences, etc. Instead, we just sat back and basically half ass things with an "independent" schedule that pretty much consists of ACC games and directional schools stuffed in between games with Stanford, Sc, and Navy. It's garbage.

I think that the schools themselves will be the ones to drive the change, because they will start to realize that having so many non-competitive teams just means that they have to split "their" money with the deadbeat programs, and they'll resent it.

Replies: