5 Ways Coan is killing the offense
by ND74KJS (2021-10-19 16:46:23)

First, the obvious:
1. He can't run.
2. He can't scramble or elude the rush.
3. He hangs on to the ball too long.

Perhaps not so obvious:
4. We have to keep a back in to pass protect because of the above.
5. Opposing defenses don't put a spy on Coan.

The combination of #4 and #5 puts our passing attack at a huge disadvantage. Instead of 5 receivers going against 6 pass defenders, we often see only 4 receivers against 7 pass defenders.

All this said, Coan delivered the ball on time (3 seconds or less) on 6 of the 7 completions in the last 2 drives at VT. The other completion was the 2 pt. conversion where Coan scrambled and bought 7 seconds before throwing the pass.

We've seen 6 games with Coan starting and the messes he's created. Now a 7th start against SC and hoping for a different outcome sounds somewhat insane.

I like Coan. but he's killing the offense. The other 2 QB options mostly mitigate all the problems that Coan brings with him. I thinks it's time to move on from Coan. But obviously, Kelly and Rees think otherwise.

I would hope Kelly sees how well Coan does with an up tempo
by Jymbo  (2021-10-19 23:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offense. He gets the ball out quickly which helps with the deficiencies of the OL.

The OL and the poor coaching it receives is killing the O... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-10-19 17:49:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That may be
by 11thfloorgrace  (2021-10-19 17:01:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Buchner has the same number of interceptions as Coan (3) on a lot fewer attempts, which is an issue as well. No easy fixes (other than changing the offense)