Hunter played two years under Devine and Bell played one
by Moff (2022-05-09 21:36:38)

In reply to: You might want to brush up on Fausts recruiting  posted by ACross

year under same. And yes, Faust started off with No. 1 or No. 2 recruiting classes from 1981 to 1983, including Alonzo Jefferson.

Even in the later years he got Parade All American like Mark Green, Frank Stams, Ned Bolcar (Parade defensive player of the year, etc., etc.) who formed the core of the 1988 leadership. He was a great recruiter and was very good at rounding up guys already anointed by recruiting analysts, but Holtz and Cerrato, et al, were better at making their own talent evaluations.

As you note, it was a different era, and Gerry's job was far easier. We were still "Notre Dame" and the recruits understood we were a team that had just won its 11th National Championship a few years ago, and had the highest winning percentage, the most national championships, the most All Americans, the most academic All Americans, the most Heisman Trophy winners, etc. We just had a run of 16 years with two future HOF coaches. Joe Montana was already winning Super Bowls.

Tonight I met an incoming Freshman student. He did not know who Knute Rockne or the Gipper were (let alone Leahy). He kept saying he did see Rudy many times though. I told him to watch Wake up the Echoes. The current recruits only know ND as a second rate program from before the time they were born. It's an incredibly harder sell now and Freeman is doing a great job. Don't take my word for it, ask any of those greats that Faust recruited because they know first hand how talented they were and are all in. You have decried taking low hanging fruit and Freeman now has a class with 12 guys in it already and none of them are three stars. Enjoy it while it lasts, there will be plenty of time to say you told us so later.