I'll assume you were replying to someone else.
by OITLinebacker (2022-05-10 14:44:54)

In reply to: No it doesnt  posted by ACross

I didn't once mention recruiting. I'm talking about temperament and understanding of the University and the Football Legacy. I'm sure Faust loved/loves ND, but for various reasons I don't know that he "got" ND enough as a coach to be properly successful. I can't see players or students responding to him like they did/do Ara/Lou and now perhaps Freeman.

Davie and Ty sort of fell into the position, both in over their heads, and neither capable of self-assessment to bring in assistants capable of making up for their own shortcomings. Faust and Charlie both loved ND in their own sort of way and both desperately wanted to succeed at the position but neither could translate their previous experience to a college system. Kelly had a bit of both his "system" didn't fit and his "persona" didn't fit, his ego wouldn't let him "fail" and he was allowed to move the goalposts in order to keep his job. I've said before and will continue to say that any of the 4 I mentioned before would have killed for the treatment that Kelly received in his tenure.

I would say every ND coach I've ever talked with left me with at least a decently positive impression of them. That said, I could "feel" something off in the non-NC winning coaches that perhaps spoke to the flaws they had as leaders/coaches. I didn't really get that "feel" with Coach Freeman. However, this is only a first impression and I will be interested in if/how that changes in the next year or however long it is until I have a chance to talk with him again.