you'd like The Athletic article on Joe Moglia
by Final_Flanner (2022-05-12 15:31:37)

In reply to: He is so useless  posted by ACross

He's the former head coach, now "chair of athletics", at Coastal Carolina who was also at one time the CEO of TD Ameritrade. In addition to these quotes he lays out his ideas for fixing recruiting, signing periods, coaching contracts, and the FBS in general. But his main point is just being appalled at the lack of leadership.

“I have a lot of respect for what the NCAA has done, but if this was the business world, the entire board would get fired,” he said. “The entire executive management team would get fired.”

“If there was ever a time when college sports had to absolutely act like a real business and run like a business with a sense of urgency, it’s now,” he said. “I sit in meetings and see great ideas, but I don’t get a sense of urgency.”

Moglia says change needs to be radical, and it’s not simply NIL rules. From contracts to new leadership to FBS structure, he has a lot of ideas.

“If we’re going to do something, we have to get it done now,” he said. “The quicker college sports gets its arm around that, the better you’re going to be. If college sports is going to wait for the NCAA, that’s unbelievable to me, when they allowed this to happen.”

An executive committee in charge
Forget various boards and subcommittees and a slow legislative process. Moglia would create an executive committee with almost autonomous power to make decisions. Like a business, the group could be made up of anyone the membership decides, and they can be voted out. But they would have the power.

“It should have the skill sets for everything you might be looking for, but the business sense and the courage to do what they really believe is right for all of college sports,” he said. “They’re the bosses. That’s it. They determine the rules as objectively as they can.”

The NCAA as an organization is simply made up of the schools. It’s not a third-party group. Committees are made up of athletic directors and presidents. NCAA president Mark Emmert, who will step down next year, has little actual real power, but much of Moglia’s frustration with college athletics stems from Emmert’s absence of leadership and direction over the past year — not to mention the NCAA Board of Governors giving him a contract extension in the middle of that in April 2021.

“The face of the biggest lack of leadership in the history of college sports and he gets an extension,” Moglia said. “A year later, he’s no longer going to be there. Now he’s a lame duck. … I think that borders on unethical. Whoever put that contract together, I understand Emmert taking advantage of what they give him, but that’s a horrible executive decision. The guy hasn’t done his job.”