BYU has an offense. *
by ballb4all (2022-09-29 22:13:05)

This user did not provide content for this post

And Leon is getting larger *
by athlete37  (2022-10-01 12:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have to believe BYU held back against Utah State. *
by Irishdog80  (2022-10-01 07:22:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would they do that? *
by sprack  (2022-10-01 15:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Easy win with bigger opponent next. WHy show your full hand? *
by Irishdog80  (2022-10-01 17:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because they scored on mighty utah state?
by 84david  (2022-09-30 14:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ask oregon (that was blown out by UGa)
what they think of BYUs offense.

ND has a punter. *
by ColoraDomer  (2022-09-30 10:43:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a piano *
by Father Nieuwland  (2022-09-30 18:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No way he’s playing. We need to save him for SoCal *
by Frank Drebin  (2022-09-30 11:11:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BYU's offense has been hit or miss
by KeoughCharles05  (2022-09-30 10:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just like their D.

Against Baylor and Oregon, they put up 366 yards, averaging 5.0 and 5.6 yards per play respectively. They could not run the ball against either team, averaging 2.5 yards per carry in each game. They moved the ball well against USF and Wyoming, putting up over 500 yards, and averaging 8.3 yards per play in both of those games, running for 8.4 and 6.3 yards per carry respectively.

Utah State was a bit of a mixed bag. 397 yards, 6.6 ypp, rushing for 3.7 yards per carry. It was really a tale of two halves though. In the first half, BYU's drive chart went TD, Punt, Punt, Punt, FG, Half (20 plays, 107 yards). Excluding sacks, they had -11 rushing yards. In the second it went TD, TD, Missed FG (33), TD, Downs, Missed FG (35), Game (43 plays, 290 yards). 23 for 141 on the ground.

The game is a nice post-bye-week test of whether the improvements we saw in the second half against Cal and all game against UNC were a true trend and here to stay. BYU isn't bad, they're not loaded up on one side of the ball or the other... they're a decent, balanced, borderline top 25 team. If we've improved like we think we have, we should beat them by two scores. If we're not able to win this one, we're in for a long season.

In short, I think the outcome of this game is going to be determined much more by how well our lines are able to play rather than by anything BYU does.

But their defense sucks.
by Irishwest  (2022-09-30 09:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Utah State put up 26 ( 27 or 28 for xp) against them. If we don't put up at least 35, I will be severely disappointed.

I think that depends on how much our OL has really improved.
by ndroman21  (2022-09-30 14:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like the changes in approach and playcalling. They looked great in the 2nd half against Cal and UNC.

Neither Cal nor UNC is any good, so I don't know how they'll fare against a defense with a pulse.

Cal(76th) is 50 spots better than UNC and only 18 behind ND
by cujays96  (2022-09-30 15:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would call Cal's D average. BYU's defense is ranked 37th. Marshall's defense is 31st but they and Ohio State, 18th, definitely caught ND's offense at, what we hope, is the low point.

Their numbers are bolstered by our performance....
by Marine Domer  (2022-09-30 15:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Marshall was the only really unforgivable sin so far this season. The team played a tough game on the road against an elite OSU team. Had them on the ropes. I think the game plan was solid overall, although there were some second half flaws.

The Cal game was a weak effort on offense, especially the first half, but perhaps a learning/turning point, despite Rees' stubborn and flat our stupid play calling the first quarter against UNC. The second half against UNC was a thing of beauty, marred only by the Estime fumble, and the stupid QB sneak on 4th and goal.

Marshall was just a shit show from beginning to end. Indefensible. But hopefully we've moved on from that. The team could easily have fallen apart, but has not so far.

If ND sticks with the running game they will win.
by 2ndstreeter  (2022-09-30 05:40:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The offensive stats in the game were pretty much even save for one: Utah St turned had 3 turnovers, zip for BYU. Weber St beat the Aggies 35-7 as did UNLV 34-24.

Don’t fear the reaper or BYU.

It’s Utah State
by Private Joker  (2022-09-29 22:23:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For fuck’s sake!

Last I checked
by ballb4all  (2022-09-29 22:39:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND lost to Marshall.

At home.

Marshall.

Subsequently, Marshall lost to Bowling Green State University. Then, Marshall lost to the vaunted Troy. Troy College? Troy University? Troy Junior College? University of Troy?

A guy named Troy, I believe
by gozer  (2022-09-30 22:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's a bit skewed by the fact that the mob had a heavy "investment" in Troy, so there was an incentive for Marshall to not do so well that day.

Just doing our part to help broaden the Circle of Suck.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-09-30 13:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we're lucky, we can get all 132 teams into the circle this year.

Also, USU is terrible this year. BYU should put them away much harder.

I'm liking the week off, our D is good enough, and the O is finally finding some footing, an extra week of reps is a good thing.

Yeah, but Troy had Hector *
by Jvan  (2022-09-30 12:27:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Lou coached Troy he'd probably say they have too many
by ArasEra  (2022-09-30 16:02:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Helens and not enough Hectors.

That was their Achilles Heel *
by Jvan  (2022-09-30 16:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they must have added him in the transfer portal
by jt  (2022-09-30 14:42:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and given him a sweet NIL deal.

I thought that was Helen! *
by lookatmeimirish  (2022-09-30 12:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last I checked
by sprack  (2022-09-30 11:41:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Utah State lost to Weber State by four touchdowns.

Wow! I didn’t realize that. “That’s shocking.” (Elf voice) *
by Sorin107  (2022-09-30 06:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure how that is germane to BYU’s purported
by Private Joker  (2022-09-29 23:37:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

above average offense.

As long as you aren't too excited about ND's offense
by cujays96  (2022-09-30 08:58:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after cracking the juggernaut that is UNC's defense last weekend.

I appreciate the changes in approach
by ThreeD  (2022-09-30 10:54:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and play calls. That's worth a bit of optimism.

I agree. Cautious optimism. *
by cujays96  (2022-09-30 14:34:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post