Who are the top OC candidates to keep an eye on?
by BigEND (2022-11-27 21:02:00)

Assuming Rees leaves on his own (or is asked to leave).

I assume Hartline would get a call. Beyond that I’m not sure.

Don’t look now but GVSU is unbeaten and ranked #1
by graNDfan  (2022-11-28 10:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Better grab him before Brian does

GVSU's coach did not work for Kelly.
by nd06seattle09  (2022-11-28 13:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he was an assistant to Chuck Martin.

Can Matt Mitchell really help out the running game?

Time to shake that tree again.
by Brahms  (2022-11-28 13:04:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shake your money maker, lads.

Tom Clements as QB Coach
by Remember_Its_Denver  (2022-11-28 10:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt that Rees will be fired. Clements could serve as a strong mentor for a couple of years. What QB transfer wouldn't want to play for Aaron Rogers' QB coach?

ND missed out on not hiring Clements as HC instead of Weis *
by thethinman  (2022-11-28 19:19:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to see Clements agreeing to work under Tommy McVey. *
by IrishGeek  (2022-11-28 12:37:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many qb coaches has Aaron Rodgers had?
by Nathan  (2022-11-28 11:44:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Serious question - I don’t know. Charlie Weis was “Tom Brady’s quarterback coach.” I bet more than a dozen others also were “Tom Brady’s quarterback coach.”

Rodgers has been useless this year *
by ACross  (2022-11-28 11:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Track down the articles on Love and Clements
by btd  (2022-11-28 12:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rodgers also goes into detail on precisely what clements does to transform QBs into being extremely accurate throwers with very good fundamentals. Supposedly that’s what he did again with Love over the past year.

broken thumb hasn't helped, I'm sure *
by jt  (2022-11-28 11:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taking ayahuasca might not have helped either *
by DBCooper  (2022-11-28 12:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love is the better example than Rodgers. I didn’t watch
by CAFB4ND  (2022-11-28 11:15:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any of Love’s performance last night but if the reports are accurate that he has improved dramatically that would be a far better indicator than the performance of a banged up, headstrong idiot that probably doesn’t take much coaching these days.

Love looked good, he'll be fine *
by discNDav  (2022-11-28 11:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Jordan Love's brief but hopeful appearance last night,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-11-28 11:04:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of the Packers beat writers last night regurgitated Rodgers' comments from earlier this year on Clements getting Love fixed.

It’s hard to determine in which area of his game Love showed more growth, because the difference was extreme. Rodgers, who said he was proud of Love afterward, credited longtime quarterbacks coach Tom Clements for cleaning up Love’s fundamentals. The development was obvious with how much quicker Love diagnosed plays.

“Tom was huge for me in my early years,” Rodgers said, “of helping me hone the fundamentals. The drills we work on in practice always translate to game play, and I feel like he’s become much better in timing up his drops with the routes. When you do that, it allows everything to kind of flow smoothly from there. The accuracy improves and the decision making is easier because you’re just playing on time all the time.”

Tommy Rees *
by ND Harvey  (2022-11-28 10:33:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try not to mix vodka, Prozac, and stool softener again
by Frank Drebin  (2022-11-28 11:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really plays havoc with the brain’s cognitive abilities

Joe Judge *
by arch_moore  (2022-11-28 09:36:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like what Ludwig at Utah has done recently
by JBrock18  (2022-11-28 09:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is close with Wittingham, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at him and seeing if he would like a change. They are generally a pretty physical team and they have done a nice job recently being more creative in the passing game.

Riley from USC * *
by Nathan  (2022-11-27 23:25:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tuttle *
by The Holtz Room  (2022-11-27 22:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Riley from TCU *
by Bellcon  (2022-11-27 22:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have zero faith our admin would take the steps
by Colonel Mustard  (2022-11-28 06:02:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Necessary to hire an OC away from another major program. I'm expecting internal pressure for Freeman to keep Rees, and if he gets canned for us to go after a budget option.

^^ *
by Ndant2007  (2022-11-27 22:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No matter who it is
by Jvan  (2022-11-27 22:21:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

….some genius on this board would swear that he’s no good.

Because he isn't . Now lets be the 1st to hire a female! *
by COLORADOMER  (2022-11-30 13:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen... *
by ND Harvey  (2022-11-28 10:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is a straight-up certainty. *
by Boomer80  (2022-11-28 06:40:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You rang? *
by ACross  (2022-11-27 23:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*chuckle* *
by eddysorin  (2022-11-28 13:13:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I said, "genius" *
by Jvan  (2022-11-28 00:06:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent work. *
by kellykapowski  (2022-11-28 11:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone now owes me a new keyboard and a cup of coffee *
by Frank Drebin  (2022-11-28 08:35:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I laughed. *
by Freight Train  (2022-11-27 23:31:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some other names to consider
by DBCooper  (2022-11-27 22:15:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Andy Ludwig - very experienced OC with stops at Wisconsin and current Utah OC.

Garrett Riley - say what you want about his brother, but TCU has a great offense and if the name alone helps to bring in a top QB, he is worth it.

Chip Lindsey - (Edit)UCF had a great offense this year. Malzaln disciple, so consider the tree, but served as a HC before and UCF had a very strong well rounded offense this year. Obviously not the strongest schedule, but still, impressive numbers.

Alex Golesh - probably won’t leave Tenn for similar job, but was an SA at OSU when Freeman was a student. So, perhaps they know each other. Only guy here who is not a QB coach though. Also has connections to ND analyst Dre Brown and is from Dublin Ohio (ND does well in Dublin)

Wouldn't doubt it if Riley got the Cincinnati HC job.
by Queensman  (2022-11-28 13:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw him named there in one story to replace Fickell. Either way, I'll bet Riley gets a HC job somewhere soon.

Nit: Lindsey was the OC at UCF
by StetsonDan  (2022-11-28 09:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, I don't think Golesh or any similar OCs who come from the Art Briles tree of what's been labeled as the Veer n' Shoot fit with the sort of offense that others have identified as playing to Notre Dame's historical strengths (tight end and offensive line). That sort of offense relies primarily on WR speed and spread spacing forcing the defense to either commit to stopping the run (and leaving the corners on an island and allowing the wide receivers to run option routes similar to the old run n' shoot offense) or committing to stopping the pass and leaving the defense vulnerable to being gashed up the middle.

Ludwig's offense at Utah relied heavily on two tight end formations and fits ND's historical strengths perfectly.

Good catch, Corrected
by DBCooper  (2022-11-28 09:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m a sucker for anything connected to Utah and especially Whittingham.

If ND ever needed a HC again (and let’s hope it’s not for a Very long time) Whittingham would be my first call, though I doubt he would leave Utah.

I think Golesh’s offense could work at ND. I’m not a huge believer an offense at ND must be focused on TEs and running game. Might be the easier way, but certainly not the only way.

I feel like...........
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-27 22:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we are setting ourselves up for disappointment at this point.

Rees will be back, they'll land a kid like Devin Leary in the portal and the story will be that we will see the best of Rees now that he has a competent grad transfer at QB.

If he does stay
by DBCooper  (2022-11-27 23:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m hoping it’s with a requirement that he must take on an experienced analyst for QB coaching (and with a different perspective of running an offense). If the rumors are true that he turned that idea down in the summer, perhaps a humbling season, or more importantly a more assertive HC after a season under his belt, will resurrect that idea. And this time it will not be a suggestion.

Do you think this season was "humbling" to Rees? *
by Dan93  (2022-11-28 00:13:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, Jack probably was in his ear.
by Brahms  (2022-11-28 09:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You're an up and comer kid, these things work themselves out. Uncle Jack has your back. We love what you and Marcus do for the brand -- we're a bit late to the party, but that garage-start-up thing is still in."

If Rees stays Freeman will have sacrificed his career as a
by Grace91  (2022-11-27 23:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

head coach before it got off the ground.

Tom Herman* *
by Azars31  (2022-11-27 21:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give me a break *
by ACross  (2022-11-27 22:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cutcliffe. Ken Whisenhunt. Bill O'Brien (even overlooking
by jt  (2022-11-27 21:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his surname and mick heritage). Hell, Mike Shanahan.

Cutcliffe would be great but isn't he retired?
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-27 22:45:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He got out of coaching and is some special director with the SEC now. He had some health issues and just wanted to settle down in Durham.

But I think he would do wonders as a coordinator here.

Alabama fans would be thrilled to help us hire Bill O’Brien
by mocopdx  (2022-11-27 22:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They hate his offense, considering all the talent they have.

their talent, while great, is below their normal level this
by jt  (2022-11-27 22:33:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year.

And he can coach circles around anyone on our offensive staff.

I’m attempting to link the top rushing offenses.
by irpa  (2022-11-27 21:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully it works.

Dan Mullen *
by Irishnut63  (2022-11-27 21:16:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He blows goats *
by ACross  (2022-11-27 21:33:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His system does. But he's a hell of a QB maker. *
by Nut  (2022-11-27 21:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t think that’s a disqualification any more. *
by irpa  (2022-11-27 21:38:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There have been a lot of changes in the law. *
by Freight Train  (2022-11-27 23:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe we can get a steal of a deal. *
by Brahms  (2022-11-27 22:22:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chryst?
by irishintheD  (2022-11-27 21:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know a ton about him but have coveted the Wisconsin power offense for years. Granted he got fired for a reason…

I worry he hasn’t done enough with QBs
by BigEND  (2022-11-27 21:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would prefer to hire Chryst as an analyst and get someone with more history developing quarterbacks as the play caller.

Charlie Weis. I’m not kidding if his ego could handle it.
by arch_moore  (2022-11-27 21:13:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He loves nd and knows X’s and O’s.

Great pro OC, terrible college OC
by Russiandomer  (2022-11-28 10:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2011 he was Florida's OC and they were ranked 102 in offense. I still kinda like Weis (despite wanting him to be fired in 08), but no thanks.

I'd be surprised if Weis Sr. would want to coach anywhere
by Irisharab  (2022-11-28 09:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will be 67 this March. Being a coach in college or the NFL is taxing enough on a healthy 67 year old, let alone an unhealthy one.

That would be like Decided Schematic Advantage mating
by SWPaDem  (2022-11-28 08:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Son of Get Used To It. What could go wrong?

Junior or senior?
by BigEND  (2022-11-27 21:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Putting aside the obvious family issue, Junior isn’t an entirely preposterous idea. He’s worked under some great coaches.

they're both preposterous, for different reasons
by jt  (2022-11-27 21:46:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the reasons against dad are obvious. Perhaps if he repaid ND some of the money it paid him not to coach here (as opposed to celebrating the anniversary with cheap beer every year) it might be worth considering.

Junior might have worked for some great coaches, but I don't believe he's ever run an offense nor has he called plays. The next guy who walks through that door needs a lot of experience at doing both.

Jr. is better prepared for that job than the incumbent is...
by Scoop80  (2022-11-27 22:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The very idea of Saban, Harbaugh, Day, Riley, Smart, Swinney (or any HC not named "Kelly" of a top 15 team) interviewing (much less hiring) a candidate w/ Rees' resume would be laughable. Whether Rees returns is a critical question as to MF's future at ND and as to the seriousness with which the program is treated by ND.

while I don't disagree
by jt  (2022-11-27 22:35:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the idea of doubling down on that concept and hiring someone who is just slightly more prepared is a foolish move given the circumstances.

I'm not advocating Jr under any circumstances...
by Scoop80  (2022-11-27 23:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm using his example to point out the absurdity of Savvy's status quo.

He loves ND?
by jt  (2022-11-27 21:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His on the record quotes would indicate otherwise.

"I can tell you where he's not going..." *
by DukeSinatra  (2022-11-28 07:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was very gracious to Freeman upon his hire. *
by arch_moore  (2022-11-27 21:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just curious... How was he gracious to Freeman.
by Dan93  (2022-11-28 00:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not doubting it, just didn't hear the story.

He made a warm post on Twitter when he was hired
by shea  (2022-11-28 10:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure if he made any private communication but I haven't seen him comment on Notre Dame one way or the other since that article about how he cracked a Coors Light when he got the last check from ND.

Why wouldn't he be? Freeman is awesome.
by ND44  (2022-11-27 22:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Besides, who cares if he approves of ND hiring decisions?

oh well, that makes up for it then
by jt  (2022-11-27 22:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No I take it back, it doesn't.

Weis was a play caller, not a developer of talent. ND needs
by irpa  (2022-11-27 21:23:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both in my humble opinion.

Seconded. *
by Manorcal  (2022-11-27 21:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was great at developing QBs
by Colonel Mustard  (2022-11-27 21:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make him the QB Coach/OC and I'd honestly be pretty excited.

I agree. *
by arch_moore  (2022-11-27 21:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would hope an experienced, proven, hard nosed choice
by GoldenBlues  (2022-11-27 21:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would be top of the list. The last thing we need is another inexperienced first time OC or some pass happy bastard back in the seat. I have hope Freeman has a plan, but I guess only time will tell.