Charlie Weis. I’m not kidding if his ego could handle it.
by arch_moore (2022-11-27 21:13:35)

In reply to: Who are the top OC candidates to keep an eye on?  posted by BigEND

He loves nd and knows X’s and O’s.

Great pro OC, terrible college OC
by Russiandomer  (2022-11-28 10:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2011 he was Florida's OC and they were ranked 102 in offense. I still kinda like Weis (despite wanting him to be fired in 08), but no thanks.

I'd be surprised if Weis Sr. would want to coach anywhere
by Irisharab  (2022-11-28 09:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will be 67 this March. Being a coach in college or the NFL is taxing enough on a healthy 67 year old, let alone an unhealthy one.

That would be like Decided Schematic Advantage mating
by SWPaDem  (2022-11-28 08:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Son of Get Used To It. What could go wrong?

Junior or senior?
by BigEND  (2022-11-27 21:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Putting aside the obvious family issue, Junior isn’t an entirely preposterous idea. He’s worked under some great coaches.

they're both preposterous, for different reasons
by jt  (2022-11-27 21:46:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the reasons against dad are obvious. Perhaps if he repaid ND some of the money it paid him not to coach here (as opposed to celebrating the anniversary with cheap beer every year) it might be worth considering.

Junior might have worked for some great coaches, but I don't believe he's ever run an offense nor has he called plays. The next guy who walks through that door needs a lot of experience at doing both.

Jr. is better prepared for that job than the incumbent is...
by Scoop80  (2022-11-27 22:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The very idea of Saban, Harbaugh, Day, Riley, Smart, Swinney (or any HC not named "Kelly" of a top 15 team) interviewing (much less hiring) a candidate w/ Rees' resume would be laughable. Whether Rees returns is a critical question as to MF's future at ND and as to the seriousness with which the program is treated by ND.

while I don't disagree
by jt  (2022-11-27 22:35:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the idea of doubling down on that concept and hiring someone who is just slightly more prepared is a foolish move given the circumstances.

I'm not advocating Jr under any circumstances...
by Scoop80  (2022-11-27 23:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm using his example to point out the absurdity of Savvy's status quo.

He loves ND?
by jt  (2022-11-27 21:30:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His on the record quotes would indicate otherwise.

"I can tell you where he's not going..." *
by DukeSinatra  (2022-11-28 07:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was very gracious to Freeman upon his hire. *
by arch_moore  (2022-11-27 21:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just curious... How was he gracious to Freeman.
by Dan93  (2022-11-28 00:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not doubting it, just didn't hear the story.

He made a warm post on Twitter when he was hired
by shea  (2022-11-28 10:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure if he made any private communication but I haven't seen him comment on Notre Dame one way or the other since that article about how he cracked a Coors Light when he got the last check from ND.

Why wouldn't he be? Freeman is awesome.
by ND44  (2022-11-27 22:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Besides, who cares if he approves of ND hiring decisions?

oh well, that makes up for it then
by jt  (2022-11-27 22:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No I take it back, it doesn't.

Weis was a play caller, not a developer of talent. ND needs
by irpa  (2022-11-27 21:23:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both in my humble opinion.

Seconded. *
by Manorcal  (2022-11-27 21:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was great at developing QBs
by Colonel Mustard  (2022-11-27 21:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make him the QB Coach/OC and I'd honestly be pretty excited.

I agree. *
by arch_moore  (2022-11-27 21:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post